2000Km-1243 mile club

January 2015 (Read 13 times)

HappyFeat

Ayola - Are you still doing the trail 5K tomorrow?? I hope so. You will have a blast for sure. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Here I am.

I don't think I'm running 5k tomorrow. I've been checking out my speed this week on the treadmill and I have none. I'm struggling with my hamstring at HM pace so I don't think straining it tomorrow ( in -10*C weather) is a good idea.

Frankly I have a real fear of coming in last which is a strong possibility with this trail crowd. I'm kinda bummed out that the weight training, spinning and extra stretching hasn't helped as much as I would like.

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

You should do it anyway! Trail races have a lot less pressure than road races. Take it slow and have fun!

Dutchie42

Ayola: coming in dead last really isn't that bad. It happened to me once at a half marathon. I got to be on live radio and regional TV....

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Sorry guys, I didn't run the 5k. I bundled up and did a short run around the neighbourhood, and then got home and soaked in Epsom salt. Legs feeling ok, planned rest day tomorrow and then back on schedule.

A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

The Yapper? Yay, a new nickname. Anyway, I'm still here. I, too, had a real dark time after Tahoe in July, Lack of motivation, and when I did go for a run it felt like I was carrying a 20-pound pack, just a real hard effort, dead legs, climbing up the easiest hill felt like a supreme effort. I think I'm finally starting to climb out of the hole which is good as I have a rather ambitious race schedule this year.

First, Georgia Death Race (GDR) in March, which is a 65 (or thereabouts) mile, very tough (as the name suggests) trail race in the North Georgia Mountains near me. The thing about the trails here is that they don't do switchbacks, they just go straight up the hills to the very, very top, then straight down again. With roots and rocks covered by damp leaves.

Then, Miwok 100k out in the Marin Headlands north of San Francisco in May, a beautiful course that I did a few years ago. And I'm running the Tahoe 100 mile again in July. It's becoming a habit, and the course is so nice. Hoping to break 30 hours but it will take some serious training. All three of these races are Western States 100 Qualifiers, which I still hope to get into.

Then I went and did something really stupid. I realized that I have enough points from my Tahoe races to qualify for the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc (UTMB), kind of a World Cup of ultrarunning which I have absolutely no business attempting. It's a 170 km (105 mile) loop starting and ending in Chamonix, France, and runs through France, Switzerland and Italy along really tough, steep trails in the Alps. So I entered the lottery and I really hope I don't get picked because I am terrified of running this race. I'll know on Wednesday. Chance of a lifetime, right?

I think the forum is less active partly because of Facebook, which unfortunately sucks up a lot of online time.

Anyway I really like hearing from you all and will try to be better about posting here now that my attitude has improved. I did a tough run today which I call "Mount Doom", it runs up pretty steep climbs and is a good place for hill training without the injury risk of trailrunning (it's a road). I'm worn out. I will need to do this regularly to prepare for my race schedule.

Happy new year Wink

And how are things with you? And with everybody else? I noticed Crabby wasn't posting and Perfesser wasn't around much? I meant the Yapper.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

No, PerfesserR, the Yapper was a club member when I first joined. Haven't heard from him in a long long time, but he's still on the member list.  FB, huh? Are you all on FB? Do you post pics of your adventures there Russ?  Maybe I'm missing out on more than I realize. Truthfully, this website (and this group primarily) is about the extent of my "social media" activity.

Sorry to hear about the repercussions of the Tahoe Rim Trail race. Over 100 miles....not too surprising it would take the stuffing outa ya. No doubt you are relieved to be feeling better about running now.  That GDR you have planned sounds kinda like fell running.  Fun! for some.... pretty sure I won't be trying it. Although I think generally fell running is shorter distances. 65 is a long way! Did you ever read that book, "Feet in the Clouds" by Richard Askwith? Maybe you recommended it to me...can't remember....great book though!

Miwok - okay, Tahoe 100-mile - okay, UTMB - WHUCK?!?!

(been dying to use that somewhere somehow)

Yeah, "terrified" is certainly appropriate! You are a silly goose, but I bet you have an Amazing Experience - if you get picked in the lottery.  You MUST get back to us with the result this week! I think you are an adventurer at heart, aren't you?

My own run today was an adventure of sorts. 12 trail miles, mist so wet and dense it dripped off the trees and the brim of my ball cap. DH's longest trail run so far and on new trail to him. He did super! I set the pace - slow to ward off pain - and managed until the end. My sciatica has relapsed a bit and when I tried to do a cool-down walk, I could barely use the leg . I know I'll get over all this, but it sucks right now. It took me 3 hours to run 12 miles today. The same run (on the day I tripped and barely jogged the final 3 miles) was 40 minutes shorter! I spent a lot of extra time today checking for tripping hazards ("counting rocks" I call it) and walking sections I felt unstable on; so there's that. Oh well, my philosophy right now: time on feet, moving forward, in good shape, will get me to my goal; pace is unimportant.

Ayola, never mind about that race! It's just a race anyway! (But you also shouldn't mind about finishing last; after all, it's really just a race anyway! [But that never happened to me, and I'm sure I also wouldn't enjoy it!])

PerfesserR: That's quite a plan you are working on! I wish you miles and miles of fun at it. And good luck! (Or bad luck, if you really prefer not to come to UTMB...)

Happy Feat, sorry! I'm so slow that your questions pile up! So, question #1, I have more or less 3 months to prepare for my 50th birthday 50km party. My birthday is in the end of March, but I really can have this celebration some weeks before or after. I just have to keep running these regular, almost everyday 5km. If I keep at it, the longer runs on weekends will follow almost naturally.

Question #2: We're no longer neck to neck, you're already 10km (that's almost two rabbit-days!) ahead! Oh, but you just wait! I'll get you! (Or not!). Anyway, I'm quite fine. Some days I feel more tired, and something, somewhere always hurts a bit, but generally OK. And getting better, I think.

I noticed you mentioned "Feet in the Clouds" by Richard Askwith. I very much enjoyed that book. It's probably my favorite running book. I was particularly amused by someone stating that the set of rules of the Bob Graham 24 Club should fit on the back of a postal stamp! That's my kind of club! Does anybody have other running book recommendations?

Cheers to all!

Ze

HappyFeat

I enjoy your posts, Ze. You make me laugh and I enjoy your "take it as it comes" approach.

I loved Askwith's book too. I really didn't want it to end.

Other really good books on my shelf:

"Why We Run" by ultrarunner Robin Harvie, a memoir about his endeavor to run the Spartathlon.

"Mud, Sweat, and Tears" by ultrarunner Moire O'Sullivan about her attempts to complete the Wicklow Round in Scotland.

"Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon"

"The Runner's Literary Companion" edited by Garth Battista

"Run: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel" by Matt Fitzgerald

and all George Sheehan's stuff. I started running with his writing as my "soundtrack" way back in the 70's.

How about anyone else?

Dutchie42

I'm back to work this week and I'm already less online. No time during the day and not wanting to in the evening

Anyways Perfesser, gosh just reading about your plans tires me out Yapper was another runner, but as a nickname fits you very well! I'm not on facebook, and I refuse to be, so I would love to read about your adventures right here. I'm always in awe of people like you who manage to do all those long long miles. In absolutely challenging terrain. Plus your stories might help me keep going when I'd prefer to do something else. If you are running UTMB I might try to get down there and cheer you on I'll have to see  what my finances are like by then (my house seems to be falling apart and needs so many repairs) and how many vacation days I have left. After all, Chamonix is only a 1000 kilometers from my place.

Happy: at least you ran with your hubby. Must be nice to run together and share the fog and other challenges. Do you guys chat while running or do you just run..... for 12 miles..... in silence

Ze: you are at least consistent in your running. I still need to be consistent before moving on to the next mile stone.

I have a couple of running books. The usual suspects. Nothing I consider to stand out. Or maybe it's been too long ago since I read them.

Ayola: there's always a next race. I've been know to wriggle my way out of a race. Usually because of the weather.

Dutchie

Just puttering along here, ran almost 5 this morning.

I wanted to mention "What I talk about when I talk about running" by Murakami - a quiet favorite. Right now I'm reading "Daily Rituals: how artists work" by Mason Currey. Little snippets of routines by artists, writers and musicians. Kinda related.

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Do you guys chat while running or do you just run..... for 12 miles..... in silence

Sometimes we talk about something, but mostly we're absorbed in the experience of the trail. It depends on how technical the trail is too. Trail running often requires your full attention...at least for me. Usually if I take a misstep, I say "that's what I get for thinking!!" or "talking" because my attention has drifted away from the task at hand. I think it makes my husband nervous when I'm talking too much because he's afraid I'm going to trip again. I think when I'm running with either of my two gal pals, we have about the same mix of talking and silence because of the concentration and effort involved; although there may be more talking with the women because we haven't seen each other in the last week or so and we have stuff to catch up on.

Dutchie42

Last week went back to work and all my good intentions went out the window. Anyways, managed another run this morning. In the rain and wind and cold. Felt colder because of the rain. First time in a long time that I took Spike out with me on anything longer than 2.5 kilometers. He kept up really well, but there were a lot of stops and waiting for Spike to catch up. I think Spike had to sniff at every wet leaf, grassy patch and tree he could find. Jeez, now I remember why I prefer not to take him with me. Took 38 minutes to cover 4.5 kilometers. Good thing I had plenty of time today. Don't have anywhere to be. Got to get some groceries for the week, but that's all. Spooky was her usual happy self.

My good intention for next week is to run this particular loop at least 3x with Spooky. She is getting on a bit (will be 10yo this year) and I believe she could do with a bit more exercise. She's been putting on weight lately. She's not overweight or anything, but definitely bigger compared to when we were running long distance together.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Long trail run of 14 miles yesterday. Cold, rainy, challenging run complete with right sciatica symptoms and back spasms and questioning my will to live. Glad it's over. Scaling back to an EZ 10-miler next weekend.  DH, on the other hand, did Awesome!   We ran with a friend of mine he didn't really know and they chatted the whole way about all things trail, backpacking, and running. So, overall, a good run.

I was happy to find in this morning's yoga/pilates session that I felt quite limber and had no soreness from yesterday. Also, I noticed as I drove to work, that like after similar long hard sessions - I feel remarkably relaxed mentally. The payoffs of LSD, right?

Happy - I always think the next day/ recovery day is a good indicator. Glad you're feeling limber and relaxed.

Getting back to normal, yesterday 7 miles, today weight training, tomorrow rest day.

A

Recalculating...