3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

February 2015 Racing Thread (Read 27 times)

Thinking about  a doing a local race Sat.  I have my choice of "1mile / 1k" race or a "5k" race.  "One loop of the park, or two."  It is a local 1.7 mile loop, but they are calling it a 5k race.  Not even close to certified.

I am going to try the "1mile/1k" race, and go for 10 minutes, +/-.  Parks dept. calls it 1.77 mi.  I call it 1.7 mi, based on experience, tangents, and stuff.  So time is relatively meaningless.

First masters race. First race in 3 1/2 years.

Feeling the growl again

First race in 3 1/2 years.

Awesome!  Good luck!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Are you moving, or longer commute?

Same company, same campus.  I will probably have to walk about 3-4 minutes further from the parking garage once I move my office.  But it is a major promotion into an area where I will have to learn a lot of stuff I have not done at such a level very quickly, and will likely involve more travel and more hours.  So, much unknown over the next few months except that I will be working a lot.

And, unfortunately, it is related to my current job (my main customer becomes my boss) so I still have the conflict which will prevent me from running Boston.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Nice that its the same location Spaniel. Good luck with the new job.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

Only reason I've started with some of these is b/c of the guys I occasionally run with. But, they are fun, different and challenging. Only bit of advice is to cut down on the paces. Its easy to crash and burn.

The alternations concept seems very interesting and worth trying.  Was going to today but got scared and just kept with 4 mile tempo.  I'll have to plan it out a little better next time.

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

Nice that its the same location Spaniel. Good luck with the new job.

I will likely be sitting much closer to the track and fitness center.  Big grin

Only reason I've started with some of these is b/c of the guys I occasionally run with. But, they are fun, different and challenging. Only bit of advice is to cut down on the paces. Its easy to crash and burn.

I gave the alternations a go last week.  I'm not used to how my Tomtom works so I didn't get any paces recorded from it but I basically did 4 lots of 2 min @ 5k by feel with 4 min @ low 6's by feel.  So I would guestimate around 4 x 600/1000 on the conservative side.

I liked it as a workout.  It's a super efficient use of time and a 800/800 version (or even a 1000/600) would be a serious serious workout.

But yes, a natural speedster (as in not me!) may fall foul of overdoing the first rep too fast and dig themselves a hole....

16:22 for 1OA this morning.  Was surprised to equal my PR as I was solo for the last 2/3rds.  Went out a little quick but held on reasonably.

16:22 for 1OA this morning.  Was surprised to equal my PR as I was solo for the last 2/3rds.  Went out a little quick but held on reasonably.

A win and a PR tie with a solo effort? Not too shabby for a Feb race. Keep it up.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Nice work!  Congrats on the PR tie. Definitely moving in the right direction.

Feeling the growl again

Holy crap!  Nice run indeed.  It has been a good number of years since the Hurtlocker has seen such a 5K so early.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations!

steph  

We can easily predict a new PR this season then. Could 15: xx be too far away?  I don't know, but I rarely could run well alone like that.

My race went weird this morning, because I won the "1mile /1k" race in 10:33. (1.7 miles, or so.).  It was slightly embarrassing to win it in such a time, but it was windy, and there were hills.  I ran all alone, and was at least 2 minutes in front of the next finisher, so there is not much to say about it.

Feeling the growl again

We can easily predict a new PR this season then. Could 15: xx be too far away?  I don't know, but I rarely could run well alone like that.

My race went weird this morning, because I won the "1mile /1k" race in 10:33. (1.7 miles, or so.).  It was slightly embarrassing to win it in such a time, but it was windy, and there were hills.  I ran all alone, and was at least 2 minutes in front of the next finisher, so there is not much to say about it.

A win is a win, everybody else had an equal chance to show up....congrats.

Walk-Jogger

I will likely be sitting much closer to the track and fitness center.  Big grin

Apparently I  missed this announcement  Congratulations!! And good work on the job promotion as well! 

Retired &  Loving It