3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

September 2013 Racing Thread (Read 60 times)

kcam

spaniel - 9/26 - Air Force Marathon, Dayton, OH - finish; BQ

The only reason for running this race was to BQ.  If anyone is following the BAA's announcements today, while the field size was expanded significantly they pulled registration several weeks forward (Sept 9th vs Sept 22nd last year).  So, by the time I run registration will likely have already closed.  If it has not, there is little to gain but a better corral position from running faster.  So depending how I feel, given my training (or lack thereof), if there are still spots open I may run this very conservatively for a finish.

If Boston is filled, I may stop every mile for jello shots.

Good luck in getting in, hope they have a few spots left.  So, I guess that means tha,t if you could, you absolutely would register for and run 2014 Boston?

I've been nervously awaiting this announcement because that means I have to make a decision by Sept 9.  I have the BQ-20 (which is quite slack for 50-54 AG) but I've been going back and forth on whether to run.  It's gonna be so crowded and expensive ($175 just to register, airfare for me and the wife, hotel for a couple/three days), but then again it is Boston 2014.  Vhat to do, vhat to do ...

Feeling the growl again

Good luck in getting in, hope they have a few spots left.  So, I guess that means tha,t if you could, you absolutely would register for and run 2014 Boston?

I've been nervously awaiting this announcement because that means I have to make a decision by Sept 9.  I have the BQ-20 (which is quite slack for 50-54 AG) but I've been going back and forth on whether to run.  It's gonna be so crowded and expensive ($175 just to register, airfare for me and the wife, hotel for a couple/three days), but then again it is Boston 2014.  Vhat to do, vhat to do ...

My thought is that this would be my last hurrah at a marathon PR.  Although unless I get my ass in gear soon, I won't have enough runway to get in 2:27 shape.  If I enter Boston I'll be fully committed to that effort.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

My thought is that this would be my last hurrah at a marathon PR.  Although unless I get my ass in gear soon, I won't have enough runway to get in 2:27 shape.  If I enter Boston I'll be fully committed to that effort.

Cool - best of luck man.

Yeah, for me it wouldn't be about trying for a great time (though I would run my best) but about going to Boston after the incident from this past April's race.  When the bombing first happened I thought "F that - I'm gonna be there next year", but as I came to understand that it wasn't about the race or running at all I'm not so gungho to run it for that reason anymore.  Now it's kind of reverting back to me just not really enjoying the crowds and expense, even though it is a great race/event.

If I enter Boston I'll be fully committed to that effort.

Ditto for me.  I was hardcore "yes, I'm doing Boston 2014!".  Then I got this stoopid groin thing and scratched on the Sub-3 Assault at Richmond this November.  Now the marathon allure has faded somewhat, and the prospect of spending $$$$$$ on a Boston trip isn't that appetizing.

But if I get healthy in time, I'm going all-in for <3:00 at B-2014.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Ditto for me.  I was hardcore "yes, I'm doing Boston 2014!".  Then I got this stoopid groin thing and scratched on the Sub-3 Assault at Richmond this November.  Now the marathon allure has faded somewhat, and the prospect of spending $$$$$$ on a Boston trip isn't that appetizing.

But if I get healthy in time, I'm going all-in for <3:00 at B-2014.

Well if I get my qualifier and go I will never let you forget it if you wuss out, so you'd better heal up.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Who Date Event Distance Where Goal Result Comments
              WhoDatRunner SEP 02 Old Fashion Days 5K 5K North Salem, IN 1AG    

My age group at this race is not very competitive and even something as slow as 26:00 could win my AG. It's possible I may even be the only runner in my AG. I'm also not 100% sure I'll even show up. I'm feeling really slow. I'll decide tomorrow morning.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

You can NOT pass up a good chance at taking the podium in your AG, no matter how poor the quality of the competition.

My age group at this race is not very competitive and even something as slow as 26:00 could win my AG. It's possible I may even be the only runner in my AG. I'm also not 100% sure I'll even show up. I'm feeling really slow. I'll decide tomorrow morning.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

I'm also not 100% sure I'll even show up. I'm feeling really slow. I'll decide tomorrow morning.

You'll show.  Don't whine about feeling slow; you'll probably set a PB for the course.  I'm showing and I'll probably run 3min slower than my PB for the course. Wink

Feeling the growl again

9/2 -- spaniel -- North Salem Old Fashioned Days 10K -- 37:00, 1OA

IIRC I've won this twice in a row and 4 times total....since I'm in town I have no choice.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

you'll probably set a PB for the course.

I sure hope so. The last time I ran the 5K was in 2010 and my time was 30:03.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

I sure hope so. The last time I ran the 5K was in 2010 and my time was 30:03.

They're predicting 68F and 100% humidity, so it's gonna be grrrreat.

Roth Runner SEP01 Southern Vets League Final 3000m Ashford, UK 9:35    

9:31.5 (unofficial), a decent race, I was about 5th or so I think.  Paced the field for 5 laps until the fastest boys decided to make their moves.

Ended up doing a relay leg in the 4 x 400 as well which was amusing as we had a team of distance guys against a number of half decent sprinter teams.  We weren't last is the best I can say for the effort!  Fun though.

Feeling the growl again

9/2 -- spaniel -- North Salem Old Fashioned Days 10K -- 37:00, 1OA

IIRC I've won this twice in a row and 4 times total....since I'm in town I have no choice.

Nope.  37:34, 2OA.  It was obvious in a mile that I was not going to win it, so I finished it out at a hard tempo effort.  Given the weather it still sucked, but I'm glad I got out of bed.  When you can't run a mid-35 to win...I got what I deserved.  This is a challenging course but still...

Feeling the growl again

9:31.5 (unofficial), a decent race, I was about 5th or so I think.  Paced the field for 5 laps until the fastest boys decided to make their moves.

Ended up doing a relay leg in the 4 x 400 as well which was amusing as we had a team of distance guys against a number of half decent sprinter teams.  We weren't last is the best I can say for the effort!  Fun though.

Nice!

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Cherry picked a 1AG with a 24:37. There were a couple older guys that ran better times.

It was very humid and seemed like it was hillier than I remembered, but glad I did the race and didn't wimp out.