3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

September 2013 Racing Thread (Read 60 times)

Feeling the growl again

If the purpose of this race is training and a BQ, it seems like BQing by a minute or two should be the goal.

I might as well make first corral while I'm at it.  And, strange as it may seem I think running that pace will be easier on my under-trained body than a BQ, which would basically be my every day easy pace.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

I might as well make first corral while I'm at it.  And, strange as it may seem I think running that pace will be easier on my under-trained body than a BQ, which would basically be my every day easy pace.

I kinda had the same reaction as Beef to this 2:50.  Not that I think it's too fast but rather, why?   I was going to suggest you bring it home in a more comfortable 3:05 which would be a BQ-10 (most people believe that's a safe entry point).  Less potential for disaster, more potential to keep training afterwards?  Good luck to you.

I'm racing this 10miler Sunday and I had planned on really keying on it.  I've been dropping mileage and should be ready to go on Sunday .... cept the weather isn't going to cooperate.  We're having a big heat wave starting tomorrow and Sacramento will be 100 on Sunday.  Accuweather is showing high 70's at 8AM and mid 80's by 9AM which is about where I'll be finishing.  Not PR weather that's for sure!

Feeling the growl again

I kinda had the same reaction as Beef to this 2:50.  Not that I think it's too fast but rather, why?   I was going to suggest you bring it home in a more comfortable 3:05 which would be a BQ-10 (most people believe that's a safe entry point).  Less potential for disaster, more potential to keep training afterwards?  Good luck to you.

Thanks, it will all depend how I feel on race day.  If I don't feel it I have no issues backing off early.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

xhristopher

Thanks, it will all depend how I feel on race day.  If I don't feel it I have no issues backing off early.

When I commented earlier I was thinking along the same lines as Ken.This weekend is about getting registered and a BQ -10 should be adequate. I'm certainly not loosing any sleep over my BQ-10.

Then, you can submit times for better seeding at anytime through early next year. For example, use this as a "long run" and the Indianapolis Marathon for seeding. I'll bet that will get you an even better bib.

Feeling the growl again

When I commented earlier I was thinking along the same lines as Ken.This weekend is about getting registered and a BQ -10 should be adequate. I'm certainly not loosing any sleep over my BQ-10.

Then, you can submit times for better seeding at anytime through early next year. For example, use this as a "long run" and the Indianapolis Marathon for seeding. I'll bet that will get you an even better bib.

All on-point advice.  But I tend to be (sometimes recklessly) aggressive.  There is a reason I have a 2:28 PR and not 2:24ish.

These comments will be fresh on my mind as I feel out the initial miles, so the advice is appreciated.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

TeaOlive      Sept 21     Chase The sun Ultra      6 hour     Savannah, Ga.   31 Miles  and once again, torture the husbandSmile

steph  

... a BQ, which would basically be my every day easy pace.

You're getting dangerously close to throat-punch territory.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I kinda had the same reaction as Beef to this 2:50.  Not that I think it's too fast but rather, why?   I was going to suggest you bring it home in a more comfortable 3:05 which would be a BQ-10 (most people believe that's a safe entry point).  Less potential for disaster, more potential to keep training afterwards?

I'm not a marathon maniac, so I'll ask ... is there much difference in "body punishment" between 26.2mi done at race-pace v. 26.2mi  at [something between tempo and easy]-pace?

I'm racing this 10miler Sunday and I had planned on really keying on it.  I've been dropping mileage and should be ready to go on Sunday .... cept the weather isn't going to cooperate.  We're having a big heat wave starting tomorrow and Sacramento will be 100 on Sunday.  Accuweather is showing high 70's at 8AM and mid 80's by 9AM which is about where I'll be finishing.  Not PR weather that's for sure!

Sorry 'bout the weather ... but good luck, Ken!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

You're getting dangerously close to throat-punch territory.

Don't ya hate those elitist pricks? Wink

Make it hurt, Spaniel.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

kcam

I'm not a marathon maniac, so I'll ask ... is there much difference in "body punishment" between 26.2mi done at race-pace v. 26.2mi  at [something between tempo and easy]-pace?

Sorry 'bout the weather ... but good luck, Ken!

For me .... yes!  I ran a 3:22 once when I was in 3:00 shape as a training run.  I ran the first 20 at my easy pace then tried to tempo the last 6.  It's the only marathon I've ever run where I didn't struggle to hold pace the last few miles.  I was also able to resume my regularly scheduled training the next day.  Normally I can't even run for 3 days after a marathon much less train.

Feeling the growl again

Yes.  And for me at least, there is a form difference especially done in flats.  I will be running this in flats and there is a certain pace at which I am most efficient.   If I slow down too much I am actually rougher on myself.

I ran 4 miles trying to hit 6:30 in trainers yesterday.  Even in trainers I really had to focus not to start drifting too fast.  I don't think the pace will be an issue.  I think running 26.2 miles at any pace may be an issue.  We will know soon.

Didn't post the race and didn't think I was running it but I ended up signing up for the marathon in Elroy this morning.  Original plan was to just pace a friend for 20 or so miles.  It was a very low key event.

Glad I ended up signing up and running the distance as it got HOT out there.  Paced my friend to a BQ -8 for her. Other bonus was that we were the overall male and female winner. It was fun but running a a marathon untrained, no matter the pace, still hurts.

xhristopher

I'll vote running slower is easier on the body.

In 2012 I ran that hot Boston marathon slow and, while I suffered badly due to the heat, I recovered quickly. Today I ran 20, which was my longest since May, slowly with others. I feel like I could have either kept going or do it again tomorrow. Normally 20s suck.

Feeling the growl again

Well the discussion on pace was academic. it was nasty humid so I kept it pretty easy but my hip started in at 14 miles. I may have gotten a few more miles out of it but not twelve and not staying under my BQ time. DNF.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Well the discussion on pace was academic. it was nasty humid so I kept it pretty easy but my hip started in at 14 miles. I may have gotten a few more miles out of it but not twelve and not staying under my BQ time. DNF.

Damn. That sucks. Get healthy dude.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.