3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Congrats - Barney Klecker (Read 294 times)

DoppleBock

Dec 2010 - Inducted into the Ultra-Hall of fame

http://www.americanultra.org/halloffame.html

If you read "Duel in the Sun" - Story of Salazar and Beardsley Boston battle - It was Klecker that insisted Dick double knott his shoes laces - A great MN runner.

Once upon a time coached a RA'er we know.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I remember him from the book.  Good for him!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Until that day, no man had ever broken 5 hours (6 min/mile pace) for a road 50-miler, although American Allan Kirik (2009 AUA Hall of fame inductee) had come within half a minute of the previous year. Only Brits Cavin Woodward and Don Ritchie had done it on the track, and Ritchie’s track World Record from 1978 stood at 4:53:28. Klecker set out all by himself not just to challenge that mark, but to obliterate it. He averaged under 5:40 per mile for the first 30 miles (including a marathon split of 2:27:30), faded slightly approaching 40 miles (which he still clocked in a mind-numbing time of 3:46), then crashed and burned through his last agonizing 10 miles.

Baller.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Until that day, no man had ever broken 5 hours (6 min/mile pace) for a road 50-miler, although American Allan Kirik (2009 AUA Hall of fame inductee) had come within half a minute of the previous year. Only Brits Cavin Woodward and Don Ritchie had done it on the track, and Ritchie’s track World Record from 1978 stood at 4:53:28. Klecker set out all by himself not just to challenge that mark, but to obliterate it. He averaged under 5:40 per mile for the first 30 miles (including a marathon split of 2:27:30), faded slightly approaching 40 miles (which he still clocked in a mind-numbing time of 3:46), then crashed and burned through his last agonizing 10 miles.

Baller.

F-U-C-K.

See, I am not an ultra guy (yet), have very little perspective on the accomplishments, but this I get.  

Think....if only Salazar had not blown his Achilles after winning Comrades and had gone on to a full ultra career....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

obsessor

He has some incredible stories. I took notes.

obsessah!!

How are you doing? Was Anda joking about the possum bite?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

obsessor

obsessah!!

How are you doing? Was Anda joking about the possum bite?

Yes. They are not poisonous.