3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

#artbydmcbride

If there is a place you could do yoga, you should give that a try also.  The peacefulness is awesome, and it is a surprisingly hard workout also.

Runners run

kcam

MrFinn - FWIW being healthy trumps racing or even running on a daily basis.  Putting hard workouts and races out of the picture for a while may really help to clear up some of these issues.

I have some of the same back issues I hear being talked about here as well.  Racing and workouts have worked out fine for me but I came at the racing for PRs / workouts  thing only in the last five years.  Before that I ran how I felt, when I wanted to and didn't' do hardly any 'workouts' (just out enjoying myself) for YEARS.    My back problems receded from this kind of training and I got fitter and fitter and weighed less and less.  Really, I'm the person who trained for my last 5 years of racing by putting in just base mileage for 15 years!  I'm almost 52 and my lower  back has never felt better than that first day I injured it when I was about 18 years old.  I still battle lower back stiffness and occasional soreness but it can be managed as long as I'm fit.  And, of course, my back loves me and rewards me for dropping to 150lbs rather than the 175 I used to be.

Run for enjoyment and health, get the weight off.  You won't be sorry.

I am rebooting......

You know, if rebooting doesn't work, all you have to to do is power down and then power back up.  Isn't that IT answer for when something doesn't work?

So I am giving up running in the training to race sense and refocusing on being healthy and fit.

MrFinn - FWIW being healthy trumps racing or even running on a daily basis.  Putting hard workouts and races out of the picture for a while may really help to clear up some of these issues.

Run for enjoyment and health, get the weight off.  You won't be sorry.

And +1 to what Ken said.  I think for most of us, we run because we enjoy and we like the benefits of being healthy and fit.  Being able to race and hit fast times is a bonus but that's not what it's all about. I've done 4-7 races each year for the last three years and I've been injured off and on.  For me, it's all about being able to run daily and be healthy.  Being able to run in different places and run with different people has been fun over the last few months.  That's worth more than being banged up and not being able to do it.

I hope the reboot works and you can get out there to run for the enjoyment and health of it.  Good luck!

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

You know, if rebooting doesn't work, all you have to to do is power down and then power back up.  Isn't that IT answer for when something doesn't work?

In my case I think I need a couple sticks of RAM replaced. Or maybe a processor upgrade. That would be nice.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

In my case I think I need a couple sticks of RAM replaced. Or maybe a processor upgrade. That would be nice.

You don't need the RAM, unless you think the beer consumption has resulted in insufficient memory.  Processor upgrade?  You might be on to something...where do we go for that?

Feeling the growl again

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

You don't need the RAM, unless you think the beer consumption has resulted in insufficient memory.  Processor upgrade?  You might be on to something...where do we go for that?

Insufficient memory is nothing new, but now I'm getting lots of parity errors. Big grin

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Insufficient memory is nothing new, but now I'm getting lots of parity errors. Big grin

Apparently I have a faulty connection leading to stray voltage.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

I appreciate all of the words of encouragement.  There are lots of options for me so it is all good.  You all can't get rid of me that easy.

Not at it at all. 

Walk-Jogger

I am reminded of that immortal phrase: "Don't tase me, Bro!" 

Retired &  Loving It

Beginning dump of physical memory ...

Good luck on the reboot, Finn!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Walk-Jogger

Anyone else wake up suddenly from a deep sleep last night around 11:30 PM, screaming in agony and crying for mercy, from a left calf-cramp? Anyone? Or was it just me?  

Dear Wifey was not amused. She didn't say it, but I know she was wishing I would go do that somewhere else...

Black eye

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

I can run 4 hours on a treadmill but an hour on the bike trainer is killing me.  There is no "groove" to get into for me....yet.

Since speed is irrelevant I managed to fix my old HRM and go by that.  On an easy run (6:58 pace) I do 138-140.  On the bike trainer that is about all my legs will let me average over an hour.  I could push it up to 159 by grinding hard for a couple minutes but that was not something I could maintain much longer.

I can't even walk normally now, but the injury does not affect me on the bike.

Slo

I've been using my Spinner quite abit lately while my knee is recovering. (I'm still getting swelling)

Heart Rates from running to biking don't seem to correlate. My easy 138bpm running is closer to what seems to be a good tempo effort on the bike.

What I do like about the bike training though is I find it much easier to flood your legs with lactic acid than when I run. Now whether this is good training or not I don't know but back in my mountain bike racing days it was pretty standard training.

As far as getting into the grove, I doesn't matter if it's the bike trainer or treadmill. I do not do well with stationary equipment.

I just came across this little helpful hint this morning. Maybe you could try this:

C-R

Anyone else wake up suddenly from a deep sleep last night around 11:30 PM, screaming in agony and crying for mercy, from a left calf-cramp? Anyone? Or was it just me?  

Dear Wifey was not amused. She didn't say it, but I know she was wishing I would go do that somewhere else...

Black eye

No but two of the cats were chasing each other at 4 this morning and one thought it a good idea to leap on me.

Good to see something is available spaniel to help until you get fixed. Working those different muscle groups is a good thing. Make it easy - ride hard enough to puke. Check HR and that's the top.

Good to see you on the mend Slo and nice training device. Does it have a version for runners too?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/