3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Feeling the growl again

No but two of the cats were chasing each other at 4 this morning and one thought it a good idea to leap on me.

MTA:  Tried linking in that "I don't always run around the house, but when I do it's in the middle of the night....for no fucking reason" meme.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I just came across this little helpful hint this morning. Maybe you could try this:

Alright.  You think she'd come out to Charlotte and ride in front of me?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Walk-Jogger

I can run 4 hours on a treadmill but an hour on the bike trainer is killing me.  

I can bike 4 hours on the road, and enjoy every minute of it, but an hour on the treadmill kills me. Warm weather only, of course, and I have to work up to that 4 hours with a few shorter rides first...

Retired &  Loving It

xhristopher

I can bike 4 hours on the road, and enjoy every minute of it, but an hour on the treadmill kills me. Warm weather only, of course, and I have to work up to that 4 hours with a few shorter rides first...

You should try to ride 40K in an hour on the bike. That will make you wish for the mill.

Walk-Jogger

You should try to ride 40K in an hour on the bike. That will make you wish for the mill.

LOL - I gave up my USCF racing license 30 years ago. I bike strictly for fun. Only way I'm going 25 miles in an hour is with a tailwind...

Retired &  Loving It

xhristopher

LOL - I gave up my USCF racing license 30 years ago. I bike strictly for fun. Only way I'm going 25 miles in an hour is with a tailwind...

Ha, yeah. I was just thinking that I don't know anything that can get lactic acid flowing like this. It's a special type of torture.

I bike for fun too. Racing is fun.

Slo

One step forward...two back.

This mornings 5 miler had me coming in with a slight gimp this morning.

Feeling the growl again

I bike for fun too. Racing is fun.

The way it is looking, duathlons may be the only thing I am competitive in this summer.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Dang, Slo and spaniel.   Hope that you both heal up soon!

steph  

Dang, Slo and spaniel.   Hope that you both heal up soon!

Sorry to hear you are still struggling guys Undecided

I've still got IT Band issues but I'm still managing to run through some discomfort to get a OK amount done, so I can't complain.

Transfer your devotion and diligence from training to recovery, and you'll be back in no time.

Hope things pick up!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

I had my chiro appointment today.  I got some answers, I think.  I'm an admitted skeptic when it comes to chiros, so the fact that he totally won me over says something.  I am sure he got tired of all my questions!  Big grin  I could write a small novel but to try to be brief...

- When I lay on my back and lift my right leg, when he pushed down the hip flexor would lock and provide firm resistance before the leg would go down.  WIth me left, the hip flexor did not lock and gave weaker resistance overall.  Diagnosis:  Both hip flexors weak, but left is also not firing correctly.

- X-rays showed no structural basis for this...bones all look fine.  Spine good.  Contrary to what everyone tells me, years of high mileage running is NOT going to lead to a hip transplant in my 40s, in fact I have zero arthritis in my spine and less than would even be expected for my age in my hips.  Smile

- The only abnormality was that my weak hip flexors allow my spine to curve a bit too much.

- Overall assessment...when I run my left hip flexor does not bring my leg up correctly so I have adapted by slightly rotating the hip to "throw" it forward.  Using several non-running exercises he was able to show me this.  This causes me to land with my leg slightly turned inward, aggravating a specific glute muscle running from the base of my spine around the outside of the femur head.  Over time this has led the muscle to be very irritated and sensitive.  Using his electric therapy machine, he was able to put an electrode right on that muscle.  When he turned it up a certain level, it instantly reproduced exactly the pain I have been having.  This explains why cycling doesn't hurt it; leaning forward removes the hip flexor from the equation, and clipping into the pedals prevents any non-linear hip movement.

- Treatment - A regimen of specific exercises and he says it should go away in "a relatively short timeframe".  And I am supposed to start running every other day starting Friday...none of this "you need to stop running" stuff.  Big grin

C-R

Told you he was good. Damn glad to hear this.

I had my chiro appointment today.  I got some answers, I think.  I'm an admitted skeptic when it comes to chiros, so the fact that he totally won me over says something.  I am sure he got tired of all my questions!  Big grin  I could write a small novel but to try to be brief...

- When I lay on my back and lift my right leg, when he pushed down the hip flexor would lock and provide firm resistance before the leg would go down.  WIth me left, the hip flexor did not lock and gave weaker resistance overall.  Diagnosis:  Both hip flexors weak, but left is also not firing correctly.

- X-rays showed no structural basis for this...bones all look fine.  Spine good.  Contrary to what everyone tells me, years of high mileage running is NOT going to lead to a hip transplant in my 40s, in fact I have zero arthritis in my spine and less than would even be expected for my age in my hips.  Smile

- The only abnormality was that my weak hip flexors allow my spine to curve a bit too much.

- Overall assessment...when I run my left hip flexor does not bring my leg up correctly so I have adapted by slightly rotating the hip to "throw" it forward.  Using several non-running exercises he was able to show me this.  This causes me to land with my leg slightly turned inward, aggravating a specific glute muscle running from the base of my spine around the outside of the femur head.  Over time this has led the muscle to be very irritated and sensitive.  Using his electric therapy machine, he was able to put an electrode right on that muscle.  When he turned it up a certain level, it instantly reproduced exactly the pain I have been having.  This explains why cycling doesn't hurt it; leaning forward removes the hip flexor from the equation, and clipping into the pedals prevents any non-linear hip movement.

- Treatment - A regimen of specific exercises and he says it should go away in "a relatively short timeframe".  And I am supposed to start running every other day starting Friday...none of this "you need to stop running" stuff.  Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

Glad to hear that you got some answers, and damn a good chunk of that sounds familiar, especially throwing the leg forward.  I really feel like I do that with my right leg.

Any chance that you could share the exercises that he gave you?

Not at it at all.