3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

C-R

One step at a time Tara. Good luck with the knee.

That was funny on the cats. We have one that hides under the couch but only because the vacuum scares him. However, if we ever get the travel carrier out he thinks its time to go to the vet and all hell breaks loose. Never seen a cat go full out ninja trying to avoid the vet but I guess being fixed might explain the angst. Come to think of it, I might have the same reaction.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks Cecil. The pneumonia is 95% gone.  The knee is bad.  As bad as it was 9 weeks ago on day one. I have another consult with MGH ortho - but not until mid-Jan.  And yes - the PT indicates it's the peroneal nerve.  But cannot tell me what to do to make it better.  I have tried everything anybody has told me to do for 9 weeks - with little to no progress.  Certainly frustrating.....but I am past the mourning stage and starting the acceptance phase.  Running in 2015 may not be in the cards.....

Sorry Tara.  Nerve problems are a mess to deal with.  Good luck with it.

steph  

Good luck with the recovery Tara - and I hope everyone who has got a sucker punch in 2014 has a clear 2015...

Feeling the growl again

Popped something loose in my rib cage....trying to get a cat out from under the couch, FFS. 

I can run, though it aggravates it a good amount.

Looks like this is more complicated than a cracked/separated rib.

At first most of the pain was in front.  That has subsided (except I can't sleep on my belly).  Now most of the bothering pain is posterior, just under my shoulder blade in the right center of my back.  I can't push/pull anything with my right arm without pain.  I'm fortunate given what some here are dealing with....so not complaining too much...but it's enough if I try to re-position myself in my sleep with my right arm I'm fully woken up.  Hard to get a good sleep though I seem to be acclimating to it.

It appears, after inspection by my educated wife, that I may have popped loose a certain muscle whose name escapes me.  So I need to call an orthopedist tomorrow and get an appointment.  I'm not sure what they can do or if I may need surgery, but given that I am a bowhunter this could be a serious issue for me if not properly corrected.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Walk-Jogger

Spaniel - you're supposed to be over that by now! Hope it gets better soon and without needing anything special. Can you still run a bit?

My update - I had radiation treatment #1 today, and found out I will have 6 treatments total,and not 40. My new radiation oncologist knows his stuff, and was able to make this happen despite my previous insurance roadblocks. So, DW and I are staying over in a hotel tonight and I'll get treatment #2 tomorrow (Wednesday), go home for a day for New Years, then come back on Friday for #3. Next week I'll come up here on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for treatments and then will be done with with it. The radiation side effects might take a little longer to even begin, so I might squeak through the treatments and be resting comfortably at home when the annoyances start. I've been granted "self-guided" medical leave from work until June, which means I can go to work if/when I want, and stay home when I feel the need. As for running, I'm getting close to breaking the 10 minute per mile pace some days. Going in the wrong direction, unfortunately. Hopefully six months from now I'll be starting to recover, and a year from now this will all be a distant memory and I'll be running semi-decently again.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel - you're supposed to be over that by now! Hope it gets better soon and without needing anything special. Can you still run a bit?

My update - I had radiation treatment #1 today, and found out I will have 6 treatments total,and not 40. My new radiation oncologist knows his stuff, and was able to make this happen despite my previous insurance roadblocks. So, DW and I are staying over in a hotel tonight and I'll get treatment #2 tomorrow (Wednesday), go home for a day for New Years, then come back on Friday for #3. Next week I'll come up here on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for treatments and then will be done with with it. The radiation side effects might take a little longer to even begin, so I might squeak through the treatments and be resting comfortably at home when the annoyances start. I've been granted "self-guided" medical leave from work until June, which means I can go to work if/when I want, and stay home when I feel the need. As for running, I'm getting close to breaking the 10 minute per mile pace some days. Going in the wrong direction, unfortunately. Hopefully six months from now I'll be starting to recover, and a year from now this will all be a distant memory and I'll be running semi-decently again.

I had some days when it hurt bad enough that I could not motivate myself to get out and run in the cold/wind in MI (treadmill was broken).  The acute pain on the front, which I do think was a rib, is now more or less gone.  But I'm now convinced I have some sort of muscle/insertion injury along the area of the teres major.  Just did a bunch of research and treatment appears mostly rest and strengthening surrounding muscles, but my wife is prodding me to get it looked at (I'm cheap and don't want to if they can't do anything but tell me what it is and to keep doing what I'm doing).  Long-term it appears I should be okay.  It does not really affect me while I am running, though I can feel it at higher speeds when I start breathing hard and snot rockets are a no-go.

I'm very happy to hear they found a way to get you the shorter radiation course, and that your employer is good enough to be so accommodating.  Hang in there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

There are time when being cheap is a good thing and times people like you and me need to stick a crowbar into our wallets and cough up. This seems such a time spaniel. Get right for Boston.

Good to hear Cecil. 6 is much better than 40. My wife swears by the salve they provide for the burns (if that's an issue for you) that the radiation causes. Its the standard one the folks provide you. Works just as good as the really expensive stuff you can buy elsewhere. Best of luck and those times will come down soon enough once you beat this thing back to the hole where it deserves to be.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Good luck with your treatments Cecil.

I was just reading a post from a friend on FB about things he's like to see in the new year. The first on his list is appropriate for this thread.

First, I'd like to see serious advancements in cancer treatment, of all kinds. Screw you, cancer, and the collective horses you rode in on.

This was also on his list. It really has nothing to do with this thread and I'm taking it slightly out of context, but thought the Hurtlocker would appreciate the sentiment.

Wake up, buttercup, we aren't everything we aspire to, it's what makes us interesting. It's what makes the achievement that much sweeter when it happens.

Here's hoping this thread gets very little use in 2015.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

First, I'd like to see serious advancements in cancer treatment, of all kinds. Screw you, cancer, and the collective horses you rode in on.

I'm working on it.  Me and a small army.

A bunch of family didn't show up for a planned get-together over the holidays.  A couple days later we found out it was because a second cousin had been diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer -- it doesn't get much worse than that -- and is not doing well so they all flew out to be with him.  One thing I can say about my job is that it is easy to stay motivated.

I attend all of the big cancer research conferences each year.  The frustration of physicians and researchers with the slow progress in the field is palpable.  There have been some big leaps forward recently in certain areas, however, so hope lives on.  Most notably, there is finally success in getting the immune system to fight cancer.  The good news is that it seems to work in most types of cancer, and have dramatic results in a percentage of patients.  Google nivolumab, pembrolizumab, and CAR therapy.  I really do believe we are on the cusp of a transformative time in the treatment of cancer.

Walk-Jogger

Andy, so sorry to hear about the second cousin with cancer. That sucks. Yesterday when I was checking in at the radiation treatment center, the young man in front of me was there getting signed in for his first visit. He was maybe 20 years old, and on New Year's eve, he was spending his morning at a cancer clinic. At almost 60, I've already lived three lives to his one. It's the young people with cancer that I see there that are so hard to accept. So thank you for what you do in terms of helping find the cures for cancer, you and all the other dedicated researchers and people who work in that field. Using one's immune system to fight cancer is an exciting discovery and hopefully some day soon it will become a mainstream treatment, so we can look back at cancer as a disease of the past that killed some of our ancestors but no longer routinely kills 1 out of 4 of us.

Happy New Year, One and All! Wishing you all peace and good health for 2015. 

Retired &  Loving It

I've been away from the forum for a while. Reading the last few pages of this thread ... HOLY CRAP!

spaniel: spend the money and get it checked out. Even a confirmation is valuable. It is NOT an issue you want to linger long-term.

Tara: I hope your FFS Magnet reverses its polarity.

Cecil: my dad had the same cancer and treatment (although I think he had 8-12 rounds). He had some minor "intestinal issues" during and slightly after treatment, but they went away within a couple months at most. He's been completely cancer-free ever since, and he has his same old energy.

Happyfeet: that leg is just weird, man.  I hope the exercises tame it.

Rocken: you've been battling stuff for a while now. While I appreciate the inspiration you've been to me to keep my head and stay positive, I wish you'd shed your troubles and stop being such a role model.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Clive sighting!  Welcome back!

I've been away from the forum for a while. Reading the last few pages of this thread ... HOLY CRAP!

spaniel: spend the money and get it checked out. Even a confirmation is valuable. It is NOT an issue you want to linger long-term.

Tara: I hope your FFS Magnet reverses its polarity.

Cecil: my dad had the same cancer and treatment (although I think he had 8-12 rounds). He had some minor "intestinal issues" during and slightly after treatment, but they went away within a couple months at most. He's been completely cancer-free ever since, and he has his same old energy.

Happyfeet: that leg is just weird, man.  I hope the exercises tame it.

Rocken: you've been battling stuff for a while now. While I appreciate the inspiration you've been to me to keep my head and stay positive, I wish you'd shed your troubles and stop being such a role model.

Cortisone is a hell of a drug.  Shot in the knee on 12/24.

Today I ran 5 miles today on the track.  Yes you read that right.  I RAN 5 MILES TODAY!  And for good measure I ran/walked another - - No knee pain.  I ran one of the miles at MP (7:20) just for laughs - and OMG - do I have a LOT of work to do.   Doc says to be conservative and listen to my body.  So I will continue to stretch religiously and ice  - but everything seems good.  The calf-nerve issue does not hurt while running but still needs to be monitored.  Next doc appt on 1/8.

Span - What did the otho say?

Cecil - Good news on the shorter radiation schedule.  Huge positive vibes being sent your way.

Rocken - How are you holding up?

Ready, go.

Feeling the growl again

Cortisone is a hell of a drug.  Shot in the knee on 12/24.

Today I ran 5 miles today on the track.  Yes you read that right.  I RAN 5 MILES TODAY! 

Span - What did the otho say?

I'm so happy to hear that you can run again.  Just be careful -- cortisone can mask issues even when they aren't gone.  But since yours is nerve-based (right?) I'd be less concerned about that.

My ortho appointment isn't until the 19th.  My wonderful wife knew I was wavering on going so she just located one and made the appointment. Big grin  Pain is still about 80-90% of what it was.  Two weeks, little change.

I'm very happy to hear they found a way to get you the shorter radiation course, and that your employer is good enough to be so accommodating.  Hang in there.

+1 ! Hang in there Cecil!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson