3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

Prince of Fatness

PotatoHead Brewery 40 -- Coffee Porter or Stout, IIRC?  Damn, if I could make beer like this I would never buy beer.  Seriously.  This was some fine stuff and I wish we'd been splitting a bomber instead of a 12oz.  Big grin  Outstanding work as usual Finn, an honest 5/5.

It's a coffee porter.  I was really pleased with this one and everyone that has tried it has enjoyed it.  The trick is in the coffee.  I went to a local roaster (recommended) and got a mild Ethiopian blend.  Do not boil the coffee, as it makes it bitter.  I steeped the coffee at room temperature over night, then strained it.  Add it at the end of the boil and done.  Thanks for the complement and glad you enjoyed.

Also glad that you enjoyed the Mouflan.  I love that barleywine.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Also glad that you enjoyed the Mouflan.  I love that barleywine.

I did not notice it was a barleywine.  That explains a lot, can't say I've had one yet that I did not like.

So here's one for you....people were driving, we only scratched the beer I had prepared in the fridge.  The next in line, that we did not get to, was a barleywine with Galaxy hops.

I had to push it to the back so I don't get drool on my shirt every time I open the fridge.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

So here's one for you....people were driving, we only scratched the beer I had prepared in the fridge.  The next in line, that we did not get to, was a barleywine with Galaxy hops.

Nice!  That's a great hop ... every beer that I have tried that had them was tasty.  I was lucky to find them at my LHBS the last time I was there.  Didn't have any need for them at the time but I could not resist so I bought a couple of ounces.  I will be brewing an all Galaxy pale ale in the not too distant future.

Not at it at all. 

lagwagon

That is strange. I only thought it was bottled in 22 ounce bottles. $20 a piece, or so. I wonder if you saw something different, a limited release.

blurry eyes half bent, I was wrong.  of course i was several beers in at the time so I'm not surprised.  in fact, I'm now doubting whether that really was Natalie Portman I was talking to at the bar...

but as it so happens I took a photo of the menu with my phone and it was a 25.4 oz bottle:

"Black Ops 2012 | Brooklyn Brewery | 11.6% | 25.4 oz | 54 deg | snifter | $45"

I guess if retail is $20 that's a normal markup, but in brooklyn a $45 beer should come with either some "family" protection or a happy ending.

Kevin, glad to hear you've experienced brooklyn's finest first hand.  We still talk about going back there one day, but havent had the excuse.

Feeling the growl again

in fact, I'm now doubting whether that really was Natalie Portman I was talking to at the bar...

but in brooklyn a $45 beer should come with either some "family" protection or a happy ending.

I don't know you but I like you already.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

lagwagon

fwiw, here was my session last night, and a few quick notes, in order of preference:

#1:  Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald...new reference porter...I need to get this at home.  may replace milk in my shredded wheat.

#2:  Goose Island Night Stalker...wow, hair on the chest...crazy head / lacing.  bold.  v. good imp stout, look for it

#3:  Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA...nose like my daughter's strawberry shortcake doll, but tasted even better.  another keeper

#4:  Hop Head Red...hoppy / citrus w nice malt balance, but not a standout

#5:  3 Stars Peppercorn Saison...paired well with the bratwurst burger.  didnt note much, taste buds were flying.

Anyways, I'd go out of my way to have any of the first 3 again, esp #1.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ahh, you meant in a restaurant. Yeah. 100% markup is low.  Many wines are marked up 300% or more.

Go buy it in a store.

Feeling the growl again

fwiw, here was my session last night, and a few quick notes, in order of preference:

#1:  Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald...new reference porter...I need to get this at home.  may replace milk in my shredded wheat.

#2:  Goose Island Night Stalker...wow, hair on the chest...crazy head / lacing.  bold.  v. good imp stout, look for it

#3:  Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA...nose like my daughter's strawberry shortcake doll, but tasted even better.  another keeper

#4:  Hop Head Red...hoppy / citrus w nice malt balance, but not a standout

#5:  3 Stars Peppercorn Saison...paired well with the bratwurst burger.  didnt note much, taste buds were flying.

Anyways, I'd go out of my way to have any of the first 3 again, esp #1.

Well crap, I passed on #1 because I already had too much beer in my basket, and some was clearly inferior.  Lesson learned.

Feeling the growl again

Ahh, you meant in a restaurant. 

This is why I drink at home when I am on my own dime....I am a cheapskate....

Prince of Fatness

Recommendations from folks in the southeast please.....

I will be heading to the Carolinas soon and will be looking for local beer to bring back with me.  Breweries that I am interested in...

Sweetwater

Coast

Foothills

Any others not mentioned here?

Any beer from those mentioned that are must have?  Already looking for The Gimp and Happy Ending from Sweetwater and Sexual Chocolate from Foothills.

Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well. There is already a Happy Ending 2013 and a Gimp, both bombers, in a box in my beer cellar. Seems the box will soon be headed to NJ.

Just sayin.

Anything you can find from Wild Heaven (Atlanta) and Terrapin (Athens) is worth a try.

Prince of Fatness

Well. There is already a Happy Ending 2013 and a Gimp, both bombers, in a box in my beer cellar. Seems the box will soon be headed to NJ.

Just sayin.

Noted, thanks.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Anything you can find from Wild Heaven (Atlanta) and Terrapin (Athens) is worth a try.

Lots of Terrapin is available here, fine beers.  Have not heard of WIld Heaven.  Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

FWIW I thought most of Sweetwater's beers were decent enough, worth seeking out for a taste.