3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I had a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine recently that was like that. Nothing but bitter hops. I couldn't taste anything else. Bleh.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Last Saturday I was at the second rate package store (it happens to be in the parking lot of where my favorite 10 mile course starts) picking up some post-run basketball watching beers. The selection was pretty poor (it’s a really small place), nearly 100% macro, and about the best he ever carries is Sam Adams seasonal. Anyway, long story short…I grabbed something I hadn’t seen before…I sort of knew it wasn’t what it seemed – but I really wanted something different...anyway, Third Shift. Ends up to be Coors in disguise. It didn’t say Coors anywhere on it, and the packaging was just a little too slick to be a real micro, but I couldn’t be sure. It said it was from Texas somewhere, and had some name like Band of Brothers Brewing or something.

I bought it, but I had a bad feeling like something was amiss. Just in case, I grabbed some Sams Spring too. A few hours later, I saw a TV ad for it. Doh.

Looked it up on the internets to learn of its Coors parentage. Haven’t tried it yet. Just sitting in my fridge. I’m sure it’s okay, I just hate being fooled like that.

Rant over. Continue to drink wonderful beers, please…

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, that is becoming a big issue. Large breweries have several fake craft beer brands out on the market. It gets extra confusing now that the big brands are buying up many of the true craft breweries out there. For example, Anheuser-Busch now owns goose Island. And Sam Adams long-ago went over to the Darkside.

C-R

Yes, that is becoming a big issue. Large breweries have several fake craft beer brands out on the market. It gets extra confusing now that the big brands are buying up many of the true craft breweries out there. For example, Anheuser-Busch Inbev now owns goose Island. And Sam Adams long-ago went over to the Darkside.

FTFY.

GI still makes a good Sophie, Jaques Peros and Matilda though. Certainly not Budweiserish (yet)

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

GI still makes a good Sophie, Jaques Peros and Matilda though. Certainly not Budweiserish (yet)

AB Inbev has ruined some decent beers.  It may only be a matter of time that GI gets soiled.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-10-25/the-plot-to-destroy-americas-beer

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

AB Inbev has ruined some decent beers.  It may only be a matter of time that GI gets soiled.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-10-25/the-plot-to-destroy-americas-beer

I said this somewhere else on here, but InBev is Satan.  Perhaps Goose Island has not been affected yet but other than the Sophie and Matilda known to me, I've started walking by the ones I have not tried since I learned that InBev got its horns into them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Upside is that GI remains good, and with this buyout will now ultimately be available in my market.  A strange silver lining, I guess.

But yeah, I generally don't drink Sam Adams these days...same reason. Plenty of true craft beers out there...

I said this somewhere else on here, but InBev is Satan.  Perhaps Goose Island has not been affected yet but other than the Sophie and Matilda known to me, I've started walking by the ones I have not tried since I learned that InBev got its horns into them.

I was talking with a bartender/buyer who works for Trappeze here in Athens. He's been on some trips where he met the GI brewers. If I remember correctly what he said, they now brew their mainline beers using AB facilities, but they still do special/small-batch releases at their original facility. AB pretty much leaves them alone to do their thing.

I guess I see the bigger problem being control over distribution, not AB getting involved in the craft market. Of course, the mega-brewers are the ones who fight to keep an archaic distribution system, so screw 'em anyway.

MTA: Haven't drunk Sam Adams in a long time and don't know what's up with them lately. But I remember reading that they shared several tons of hops during the shortage a few years ago and helped keep a number of craft breweries running.

C-R

Ok. That was worth a couple of minutes of reading. The article was spot on when it says he runs the business like a VC. Usually this is left to the equipment and hardware type companies so its quality of product vs taste of product. There was also a comment about Asian and SA markets preferring weak beer which I think will keep the money rolling to them. I haven't had a 312 in a while and now will look at the label more closely if I decide to buy.

Two comments - I work/volunteer fund raise for our soccer club and have to dispense beer. The vast majority of people don't drink for taste but drink to drink at these venues. They out numbers us 10-1 and have no clue. Evidenced by me trying to recommend Heineken or Fat Tire at one extra dollar vs. Bud, CL, BL and ML.

In the words of my brother (who is a German citizen) and to which I agree - "No self respecting German would ever drink Becks destined for America. It's like drinking the sweat off a mule"

Damn - now I have to pay attention to the labels. Damn.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Feeling the growl again

In the words of my brother (who is a German citizen) and to which I agree - "No self respecting German would ever drink Becks destined for America. It's like drinking the sweat off a mule"

I cannot speak for Germany having not been there yet, but Austria shares some heritage and I must say I was extremely disappointed by the beer in Austria.  The main line beer in Austria was every bit as crappy as it is here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

I cannot speak for Germany having not been there yet, but Austria shares some heritage and I must say I was extremely disappointed by the beer in Austria.  The main line beer in Austria was every bit as crappy as it is here.

Austrians are good at making deserts, Pez and schnapps (really good at schnapps). Beer not so much since they prefer Marzen which is a lighter version of decent Bavarian stock.

Feeling the growl again

Austrians are good at making deserts, Pez and schnapps (really good at schnapps). Beer not so much since they prefer Marzen which is a lighter version of decent Bavarian stock.

From what I could tell, this was the most popular beer around Vienna.  The Bud/Coors of Austria, if you will.  And it tasted like it.

We went to a beer garden and tried a larger variety....most were not very good at all.  I tried to get the marzen they had but our waiter...a real piece of work...outright refused to serve us anything on the menu HE didn't want us to try.  So we spent the night drinking European Budweiser, which was only marginally better than the mostly unrelated American swill.

C-R

I tried to get the marzen they had but our waiter...a real piece of work...outright refused to serve us anything on the menu HE didn't want us to try.  So we spent the night drinking European Budweiser, which was only marginally better than the mostly unrelated American swill.

Sounds like Paris. You'll get what I like you silly American tourist (for proper effect use an accent ala Pepe le Pew).

Prince of Fatness

But yeah, I generally don't drink Sam Adams these days...same reason. Plenty of true craft beers out there...

Me either, but it does have its place.  In many restaurants (chain type places) if it wasn't for SA the only choice would be the swill.  So while their beer is not the best out there it works in a pinch.

Not at it at all. 

Me either, but it does have its place.  In many restaurants (chain type places) if it wasn't for SA the only choice would be the swill.  So while their beer is not the best out there it works in a pinch.

Ditto for airports, although I've been surprised lately at how many airport bars are putting good beer on tap.