3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Hey WhoDat:

A drinkable beer, but the flavor was a bit thin for what I expect from this style.

Oh nice. Do they have it at the Toddy Shoppe?

Abita beers do not typically have big in your face flavor like many of the current craft beers. Abita beers are intended to be session beers and I think they do a good job of creating decent beers that are easy drinking and go well with food. Abita has been around since the 80's and was the first non-macrobrew beer that was readily available to me when I started drinking beer. Any place around the New Orleans area that sells beer will likely have Abita available.

Abita does make a couple of more craft-like beers they call their Big Beers. They're still not over the top, but are quite tasty. I've had their Abbey Ale and Andygator and I have a 25th Anniversary Double Dog that I plan on drinking after I go sub 2 hours in my HM this weekend Wink

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

OK. This is cool. Even if you're not a nerd. We need one for the next Beer Mile.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/star-wars-themed-keg-becomes-local-internet-hit-171746812--ncaaf.html

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

DoppleBock

,,I,,

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Oh nice. Do they have it at the Toddy Shoppe?

Abita beers do not typically have big in your face flavor like many of the current craft beers. Abita beers are intended to be session beers and I think they do a good job of creating decent beers that are easy drinking and go well with food. Abita has been around since the 80's and was the first non-macrobrew beer that was readily available to me when I started drinking beer. Any place around the New Orleans area that sells beer will likely have Abita available.

Abita does make a couple of more craft-like beers they call their Big Beers. They're still not over the top, but are quite tasty. I've had their Abbey Ale and Andygator and I have a 25th Anniversary Double Dog that I plan on drinking after I go sub 2 hours in my HM this weekend Wink

Yes, I got it at the north side one.

They are good session beers.  I know you gave me the Andygator at the beer mile and I really enjoyed it, I cannot recall if you gifted the Abbey Ale or not. 

You are lucky you had a non-macrobrew available to you back then.  The only beer I knew existed until college was Busch Light/Bud Light etc.  I think my first beer ever was a Busch Light.  Consequently I did not drink beer at all until college when I was exposed to Labatt's (staple at that school), Killian's, and Honeybrown.  That's all there was...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Alcohol sucks 

.  The only beer I knew existed until - after - college was Blatz, PBR, Old Milwaukee, Green Death (Special Export), Old Style, Point and Hams

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Prince of Fatness

Victory HopDevil. It was OK. I liked the Stone IPA better.

You know if you want to introduce yourself to hops you may be better off with a pale ale rather than an IPA.  In most case they are not quite as hopped up.  Try Victory Headwaters Pale Ale if you can get it.  Yummy.  Also you have some good ones right there in your back yard.  Three Floyds Alpha King, Sun King Osiris, etc.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Breckenridge Brewery Fall Ale.  I really liked this one.  Turns out it's a brown ale.  Now I'm not surprised.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

In the meantime I am drinking a Sierra Nevada Tumbler, brown ale.  Not hoppy.  You would like this one.

I saw some at the beer store yesterday and picked up a six pack. Very tasty.

Also picked up some Sun King Oktoberfest, Abita Fall Fest, and Breckenridge Brewery Autumn Ale.

And just out of morbid curiosity I picked up a 2012 Lips of Faith La Folie since Spaniel gave it such a glowing review Big grin

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sun King Oktoberfest

Want.

2012 Lips of Faith La Folie

Prepare for sour!

Feeling the growl again

Also picked up some Sun King Oktoberfest, Abita Fall Fest, and Breckenridge Brewery Autumn Ale.

Where did you get the Sun King?

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Want.

Is there anything else from the area that you want? It seems like a waste to send one can or send four and only have you drink one Joking

Prepare for sour!

I read several reviews, so I kind of know what to expect. It sounds like something I could possibly like, but I've never had a sour before.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Where did you get the Sun King?

Toddy Shoppe in Brownsburg on Northfield.

The two Toddy Shoppes seems to carry different items, so I hop back and forth between the two.

Prince of Fatness

Is there anything else from the area that you want? It seems like a waste to send one can or send four and only have you drink one Joking

He can send one to me.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Toddy Shoppe in Brownsburg on Northfield.

The two Toddy Shoppes seems to carry different items, so I hop back and forth between the two.

Yes, they do.  I do the same thing.

I stopped at the SR136 store today and scored the Sun King.  They also had two imported German Oktoberfests, so I got one of those for comparison.  The other came in the biggest fucking can I have seen in my life (made a Foster's oil can look cute), nested in a big ass mug so impractical I would never again use it.  Kind of neat, but no.

I just finished a pint of the Sun King Oktoberfest.  Simply outstanding.

Prince of Fatness

From the beer fairy.  Not your average pale ale, but not bad.

Not at it at all.