3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Race strategy for heat (temp) (Read 54 times)

an amazing likeness

Thanks all. Good advice.

In my last two blast furnace races (both 1/2 mar), I took the 'start way easier than plan, and try to manage it' approach. Both ended up being jog/shuffle death march finishes. For tomorrow's 10K, I'm going to go with the 'eat ice all morning, and then run 'till the heat wins' plan.

I tried to take it easy at Boston the heat wave two years ago and crashed at 16.

C-R, my log entry from the race in the pics leads off with "...After today's trip to running hell...I now have a better appreciation of what the Boston Marathon runners faced this past spring. I have never been so hot while running in my life."

If I had bleeding nipples like that, I'd be walking and feeling like crap too... Smile 

Ha...I hear you, from my log for the event: "...Another thing -- when you get soaked from sweat and dumping water over yourself, it makes your technical shirt cling to your chest and...shreds the nipples. I had anticipated this and stuck on bandaids before the race...which promptly came off about mile 2."

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Walk-Jogger

I'm just curious in regards to the bleeding nipples - does having a hairy chest convey any advantage in protection from this problem? I haven't had any nip issues on any of my long runs up to 70 degrees wearing a singlet so far.

Retired &  Loving It

xhristopher

Start hard and fade vs start easy and try to delay the onset of cooking from my innards out?

Here's what start stupidly hard and fade looked like today for the first 3 miles of my 5K in 88 degree warmth: 5:35, 6:23, and 6:33.

I don't think it was a good strategy but was kinda "fun," at least for the first half of the race.

xhristopher

I'm just curious in regards to the bleeding nipples - does having a hairy chest convey any advantage in protection from this problem? I haven't had any nip issues on any of my long runs up to 70 degrees wearing a singlet so far.

I think it has to do with the shape of your nipples and the sandpaperness of your shirt..

an amazing likeness

Here's what start stupidly hard and fade looked like today for the first 3 miles of my 5K in 88 degree warmth: 5:35, 6:23, and 6:33.

I don't think it was a good strategy but was kinda "fun," at least for the first half of the race.

Yeah, for my 10K today, it didn't work too well either..front 5K in 7:24 pace, back 5K at 8:06 avg pace, and fading all the way in.

xhristopher

Yeah, for my 10K today, it didn't work too well either..front 5K in 7:24 pace, back 5K at 8:06 avg pace, and fading all the way in.

Ouch! Heat sucks. I knew going out that my run was a bit of a stunt and it was either going to be glorious or I'd pay dearly. For all I know I ended up where I would have, just more painfully... Could be the same with your run.

#artbydmcbride

I think the season calls for more topless runs for you men now.  Cool

Runners run

Walk-Jogger

Absolutely! It's finally been warm enough here for me to do a few shirtless runs. Over 80, shirtless, for sure. Under 70 degrees, a bit too chilly still for my blood. In between, I'm comfortable either way. Approve

Retired &  Loving It

an amazing likeness

For me, it's only an issue when my shirt is completely soaked (from sweat which doesn't evaporate and dumping water over my head) and mats against my (impressive) pecs and sandpapers away at the nips.  It's a summer-specific problem for me.

Nope...nothing good comes from a 50+ guy running shirtless, plus it hurts like hell pinning the bib on.

Feeling the growl again

it has been a long time since I wrote a short on a run. I only do that on lunch runs at work and if it is under 60.

No heat issues today, under 60, no shirt, under the redwoods.  strangely no ewok sightings.  damn was that hilly though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

#artbydmcbride

Nope...nothing good comes from a 50+ guy running shirtless, plus it hurts like hell pinning the bib on.

I politely disagree....and pin the bib to your shorts then.   Cool

Runners run

Ostrich runner

When I started running again 5 years ago after a 7 or 8 year hiatus, I was confused by my new chafing problem. I finally figured out that it was happening more because I was now jiggly.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I think it has to do with the shape of your nipples and the sandpaperness of your shirt..

This thread is worthless infinitely more preferable without pictures!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

kcam

I  love it when a thread veers off into the protecting the nips from chafing territory cuz then I get to post this picture.  Cecil, a little duct tape should work .... just like this ....

For me, it's only an issue when my shirt is completely soaked (from sweat which doesn't evaporate and dumping water over my head) and mats against my (impressive) pecs and sandpapers away at the nips.  It's a summer-specific problem for me.

I don't think I could finish a run down here during the summer with a shirt on. Enough sweat to finish an 8 mile run with wet socks, and heavy rain the last 4 mornings.

On the plus side, it's about the only motivation I have to hit the gym and get in the weight training.