3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Let's see. Last week I ran 3 miles in 17:01, during my long run, and this week I ran 13.1 miles in 1:24:50 during my long run.  I also ran a 5:11 mile during the week last week. I still have 30 lbs to lose, of actual factual fat weight.  Legs feel fresh, mileage is low.

Nice work justaguy!

All of this fast running got me excited so I figured I'd give it a go at a 5k time trial.  Weekend mileage was low and yesterday was a measly 2 miles so legs were feeling fresh and ready to.  Drove up to the one track that I know that is open and to my surprise it was STILL covered in snow!  Damn, no time trial today.  It was almost like that feeling when you walk into the gym wanting to run on a treadmill on a nice, perfect 60 deg, sunny day and all the walkers invaded the place.

So I drove back to where the indoor track was and did some random stuff.  2 mi wu w/ drills and strides.  8x200 w/ equal jog recovery (avg pace = 32.5), tempo mile (5:14) and balance cooldown.  *shrug*

Oh.. I see how it is!!

#NoExcuses

By the way... I fully realize JustAGuy is flying by all of us with that solid workout.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

Oh.. I see how it is!!

#NoExcuses

By the way... I fully realize JustAGuy is flying by all of us with that solid workout.

Ha, you got me on that one!  If I tried clearing the snow for a time trial, the result would not have been pretty.

Nice work justaguy!

All of this fast running got me excited so I figured I'd give it a go at a 5k time trial.  Weekend mileage was low and yesterday was a measly 2 miles so legs were feeling fresh and ready to.  Drove up to the one track that I know that is open and to my surprise it was STILL covered in snow!  Damn, no time trial today.  It was almost like that feeling when you walk into the gym wanting to run on a treadmill on a nice, perfect 60 deg, sunny day and all the walkers invaded the place.

So I drove back to where the indoor track was and did some random stuff.  2 mi wu w/ drills and strides.  8x200 w/ equal jog recovery (avg pace = 32.5), tempo mile (5:14) and balance cooldown.  *shrug*

well, I went to the track today, and it went just as bad as it could have. It is sunny and 65 here in OK.  I also planned to do 8x200m, but with 400m recovery jogs.  Legs were like lead, and the feel and pacing control was just gone. Anyway, my legs felt fresh... until I started running.

This weekend I may try the 25-lapper during my long run.  If no one is at the track, I will have a hard time keeping up the focus that long.

Don't worry, in about 8 weeks, we will be in the upper 90's to low 100's every day, and that will have a giant effect.  For now, I am just having fun.

Feeling the growl again

Fast finish run, 9 miles at 6:29 avg, didn't plan to go that fast and didn't even look at my watch until 5+.  It just happened.  I have only run outdoors 4-5 times this year and today was 60 degrees and I ran shirtless.  Then I ran fast but smooth the last mile, 5:17.

I am still fat, this wasn't even a real workout, but damn it was the most I have enjoyed a run in many months.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Walk-Jogger

Nice workout, Andy! And warm enough to go shirtless - nice!

I had a decent track workout last night, considering it was my second short but hard workout of the day. I warmed up with a 1600 in 5:59, and that's the first time I've dipped under 6:00 for a 1600/mile since last June 7th. Then 7x200m at 33.2 average, and 4 of them were 32.xx, which is the most 200's I've run under 33 in one session in a long time. I'll be 60 in a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to improving on these times and doing some racing.

Retired &  Loving It

Nice workout, Andy! And warm enough to go shirtless - nice!

I had a decent track workout last night, considering it was my second short but hard workout of the day. I warmed up with a 1600 in 5:59, and that's the first time I've dipped under 6:00 for a 1600/mile since last June 7th. Then 7x200m at 33.2 average, and 4 of them were 32.xx, which is the most 200's I've run under 33 in one session in a long time. I'll be 60 in a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to improving on these times and doing some racing.

Nice set of 200's Cecil!  Mine was something similar and two days later, I'm still sore.  Hats off to you, I'm impressed.

kcam

mbehr beat me to it Cecil.  Outstanding workout.  It's hard for me to understand how you can run that workout with your recent training and illness history.  You are one strong dude!

BTW, I've not been running much this year myself and your workout got me thinking .... during today's lunch run I decided to run a couple 200's (200 walk rest in between) and all I could muster was 40 and 38 seconds.   Hats off to you, Cecil!  Keep moving forward.

Missed that one. 32-33 second 200s will always be solid.

Ken.. gotta start somewhere. Just be ready for cross country.

And we run because we like it
                    Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

I hate to reference peoples' age, but given that I am approaching the point where I will start to condition my own times that way...those 200s would be hella impressive at your age group, much less taking into account your medications.  It makes me so happy to read this.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Yup - really impressive Cecil, it great to see you bouncing back so strongly - I'm in awe of those 200's.

Walk-Jogger

You guys are too kind, really. My legs at this point are stronger than my heart and lungs, so each of those flying 200's are followed by a near collapse and the "old-man shuffle" recovery walk - my walking 200 rest lap time goes from ~1:50 to >3:00 between the last of these. That has shown some signs of improvement recently - I can run a few more faster laps now before I get all wobbly.

Retired &  Loving It

You guys are too kind, really. My legs at this point are stronger than my heart and lungs, so each of those flying 200's are followed by a near collapse and the "old-man shuffle" recovery walk - my walking 200 rest lap time goes from ~1:50 to >3:00 between the last of these. That has shown some signs of improvement recently - I can run a few more faster laps now before I get all wobbly.

I want to be like cecil when I grow up.

No way that's kindness -  it is really impressive.  You might stack up really well somewhere in the 800m, 1500m, mile distances?  Maybe 800m?  I mean, you could maybe be in records-chasing territory, yes?

Walk-Jogger

I want to be like cecil when I grow up.

No way that's kindness -  it is really impressive.  You might stack up really well somewhere in the 800m, 1500m, mile distances?  Maybe 800m?  I mean, you could maybe be in records-chasing territory, yes?

LOL, thanks, JustaGuy!  The mile has been my best event from an age-graded standpoint, but at 84.6%, that isn't going to break any records anywhere, except at that one event at that track for my age group (M55-59).  That was last year, and I think my bragging rights have expired on it. I'm only racing about 76% age-graded anything right now due to health issues. In two weeks I'll move up an age group to M60-64, and my fitness goal for the year is to try to recover my way back to 80% at any distance. The age group "upgrade" will make that a little bit easier.  I've got a 10K race tomorrow (Sat). If I have a very good day I might hit a 77% age graded time.

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

Missed that one. 32-33 second 200s will always be solid.

Ken.. gotta start somewhere. Just be ready for cross country.

Exactly.  I'm not going to run a marathon this year and I might not even run a 1/2 either.  I will try to be in peak shape for cross country season, as well as run a good mile, 5K and maybe 10K.

Are you going to run any XC this year?  There are a few up in your neck of the woods and, a nice goal to shoot for, the USATF Club XC Championships in GG park in December.  You should hook up with a club and run XC.  Weren't you running with Chips?  I don't think I've seen them compete much in the grand prix lately (either road or xc) ... maybe hook up with River City.  You would definitely improve if you could find the time to run and race with those guys.

Hope to see you at a race!