3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Nice work Ken / Cecil.. I'm expecting more of the same from you both.

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

16:34 at SacTown 5k... Blah.. Ran solo for four k. Just hard to mentally get after it.

16:34 at SacTown 5k... Blah.. Ran solo for four k. Just hard to mentally get after it.

Still a solid result. It's not exactly like you've been racing much either. Hard to turn that switch on when you don't race often.

kcam

You were at the race?  Maybe your 5K wasn't that bad?!  I ran the 10mile.  What an odd course.  I think your 5K was on our course (or at least part of it).

That was my first time running that course (they changed it last year, which I didn't run).  Two laps of a 5 mile loop.  I thought I'd take the first lap 'easy' and just make a tour of the course and then get after it for the second lap.  I don't know what it was but it was just plain slow and what I thought should have been a relaxed pace felt hard from the get-go.

They posted the 5 mile splits as well as finish.  I ended up running slower the 2nd lap than I did the first, as did EVERYONE I looked up!  WTF?  It was an odd duck of a course.  No real hills to speak of but you just couldn't get into any kind of rhythm at all.  You were either turning 90 deg or going up or down a ramp.  Crossed the Sac river, over the Tower Bridge, four times in the race as well as crossing over I-5 four times in the race.  I expected to run in the high 65's but ran 66:26.  Kinda disappointed but I believe high 65's are possible for me right now on a 10 mile course that allows you to get into a nice groove.  This one definitely didn't.  I wish they'd go back to the old course.

kcam

<deleted>  Double post!

I think much of the 5k race was similar to the 5 mile loop you ran. I can second that.. there were too many turns. The section on Front Street through West Sac was the worst. It went up and down with lots of turns. In the past they have had trouble with the trains interfering with the race (despite guarantees), so, they ended up with this course. I think that compared to the Land Park course, this one is about five seconds slower. Still, that's a nice result Ken. You were close to your goal. It was a little warm out.

Prince of Fatness

Not a big deal really, not even a workout. But today I got in a 10 miler for the first time since my hip surgery 2 years ago. Also my first 30 mile week since then. Likely at least 3 years since I've done either of those.

Not at it at all. 

kcam

That is what this thread is for (the anti Sucker Punch thread)!  Congrats on the nice, gradual recovery.  Keep at it and have patience.

bhearn

My recovery from Achilles surgery around Christmas is coming along. Slower than I would like, but I suppose I shouldn't complain. I'm still targeting a 24-hour race in 4 weeks. On the edge of whether I think I'll be ready.

I had a decent mid-week workout, 16 miles on the track at goal 24-hour pace, with planned walk breaks. Then yesterday I did a local, pretty flat 50 miler... planned goal 24-hour pace, but couldn't quite hold that. So that's not so auspicious. 8:07. 50 miler heading into my previous 24-hour was a 6:55! But this was never going to be a race; I can't go much faster than 9:00 pace now without impacting the Achilles recovery.

The King of Beasts

Not a big deal really, not even a workout. But today I got in a 10 miler for the first time since my hip surgery 2 years ago. Also my first 30 mile week since then. Likely at least 3 years since I've done either of those.

Really happy to see this.  Comeback road can be a long one, stick with it.

onward.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good for you!  Enjoy your comeback.

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Wow I'm MIA, just seeing this.  Outstanding!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Blah?  I'd take that all day long.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Walk-Jogger

I've run 6x 1600's in the past week. Four of them were under 6:00 minutes, and three were under 6:00 mile pace. Breaking 6 for the mile again was a goal of mine since getting sick 2 years ago, but this past March my left knee got so bad I had to stop running and get back on my bike. I am running short distances again now and I've only run about 6.2 miles total for July,. But  three of those 1600's this past week were at sub-6 mile pace. I think I've hit all my big goals for the year now ( <1:30, <20:00, <6:00)  except for the 12K race I missed in May. Also had a PSA blood test yesterday and the results were down  to .69 from .99, which is very good.

Retired &  Loving It

DoppleBock

Nice

When you spent 3 1/2 years getting fat and not running - My good workout of the day was 2 miles @ LAT (8:20)

Since my other efforts are  (4 minutes jog @ 10:20 pace  / 2 minutes walk) then repeat - Just running for 16 consecutive minutes is pretty hard.

This is week 8 of doing aerobicish stuff and week 17 of lifting weights + Back and Core.  I am 30# / 106# of the way back to running weight.

I am trying to be consistently boring in working out right now (Constant and consistent)

* 55-70 MPW (Speed means nothing - must de-fat ... so more miles)

* 2,500 - 5,000 vertical - Helps to break up the week and get me on trails or walk at 10-15% on TM

* 1 x LAT workout

* 1 x striders or 10x1 minute faster

* 1 longer effort each week 15+ Miles

* 3 x weights + back and core

* lose 3-4 pounds per week

Maybe 6-8 months from now I will hang out in hurt locker ... right now I just want to be boringly mediocre and consistent to keep my back and hip happy and my herniated diaphragm from acting up.  But I will lurk now and again.

Pretty soon Hop will be hitting workouts multiple times per week. Hanging in the hurtlocker has its pains.

Running by feel to 520s. Sounds like Latin to me but that's pretty good. As for the Fall 2012 question, my gut tells me that getting some serious fitness pays dividens for about three months or so (based on my experience) where you can maintain or really hit is well with less load. The fast guys can probably explain better but its not very surprising to me. Just look at that workout coming off some rest. Micro to macro.

You people shamed me into actually trying a workout today (shitty achilles or not) so I imprvised. 2mi start, 2 mi 10k, 1.5 mi steady and 1 mi 10k with a 1/2 mi cool down. 50:37 in all and hit all three pace miles in 6:35ish. Friggin striders in the cool down nearly did me but it was good to do something positive. Now for two days of recovery. And yes, the 10k pace is less than my current 5k times. Its my goal pace and I've run my last few 5ks in shit conditions. I firmly believe if I have the stones I can hit sub 19 this year.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !