3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Ran 11 easy miles Monday with mile 10 at 10 K pace, not sure what I could run yesterday at our club's track workout.  Ran 2.5 miles at my 10K PR pace (which is kind of old now and is likely pretty soft), and it was nowhere near a race effort.

Now have to extend this run to 6 miles over the next 3 months (for my planned April HM), kind of daunting but will see.

Feeling the growl again

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again...

This is about the 3rd or 4th attempt but I committed to running 4 hrs once a month before my next 50.  I finally hit it today (on the treadmill no less), 33 miles even.  For once my hip/lower back held up okay, but I must say that last hour was unpleasant enough that it was hard to focus...the first two and a half went by with little conscious effort.

MTA:  And with that, I am FINALLY a little ahead of 400 pace for the month...  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Good freaking Lord, spaniel.  I was debating bagging my second run of the day because I feel tired.  Now an hour seems...well.  I'm heading out the door.

And happy, mile 10 @ 10K pace is definitely nothing to sneeze at.  

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

Now an hour seems...well.  I'm heading out the door.

I'm glad to give someone a boot in the ass.  'Tis the Christmas season and it IS better to give than receive.  Big grin

My my is my back talking to me now, though...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I'm glad to give someone a boot in the ass.  'Tis the Christmas season and it IS better to give than receive.  Big grin

My my is my back talking to me now, though...

Thanks again for the kick in the ass.  Did 30 easy, 20 @ tempo, 20 easy.  Turned out to be my best run this week.  

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

Thanks again for the kick in the ass.  Did 30 easy, 20 @ tempo, 20 easy.  Turned out to be my best run this week.  

Likey.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This looked too hard for even DB, when I first read it. Then I realized you probably meant minutes, not miles.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

This looked too hard for even DB, when I first read it. Then I realized you probably meant minutes, not miles.

Every time I start to get satisfied with a workout, I think back to the kind of tempos DB does.  I puke in my mouth a little bit, then I attempt to HTFU.

Emil Zatopek

Ran 11 easy miles Monday with mile 10 at 10 K pace, not sure what I could run yesterday at our club's track workout.  Ran 2.5 miles at my 10K PR pace (which is kind of old now and is likely pretty soft), and it was nowhere near a race effort.

Now have to extend this run to 6 miles over the next 3 months (for my planned April HM), kind of daunting but will see.

Whats up with the HR monitor?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BT, Recovery is my issue when trying to do increase mileage, suggesting I maybe running my daily runs a bit too hard. So trying to slow myself down to run below 150 HR as much as possible until the slower paces feel right. I tend to run all my runs at around 9:10-9:30 pace (corresponding to a 155-160 HR). Want to make the faster runs closer to 8:00 pace and the slower ones truly aerobic, if I don't wear the HR monitor I tend to drift back to my 9:10 pace.

For the prediction run (a tempo run), I wore it to confirm that even though the effort felt hard due to the previous day's long run, I am not rally racing it (average HR of 168).

Also the monitor is wildly off  (too high) at the start of my runs until I start sweating, so the averages are higher than they truly are.

Slo

It's funny how having DB here at RA can skew how we read things.

Feeling the growl again

4 mile treadmill tempo run in 20:55 (~5:14 average).  I know that somewhere around 6:00 pace my treadmill runs start to diverge from outdoor reality so I wouldn't stand a chance in hell of replicating this workout outdoors.  However, the treadmill used is a constant so I can compare to prior workouts very well.

Late April or early May 2012 was my peak for last year, and I did this workout perhaps 3-4 seconds faster than today.  So, here we are at the start of the new year and I am already apparently in as good of shape as I ever was in 2013.  That's something good for the new year.

lagwagon

4 mile treadmill tempo run in 20:55 (~5:14 average). 

Dude, that's smokin for a treadmill.  I have flashbacks to the wobble on the gym treadmill at anything sub 6 back in the day...now I even get nervous doing short intervals that fast.  Given my disdain for the colder weather, maybe I'll push mine a little this year, but not like that.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I get wobbles in my legs at sub-6, not on a treadmill Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

4 mile treadmill tempo run in 20:55 (~5:14 average).

(*boggles*)

So, here we are at the start of the new year and I am already apparently in as good of shape as I ever was in 2013.  That's something good for the new year.

Nice.  Looks like those foolish monthly challenges were investments after all!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau