3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Well I at least had a workout this week - which makes a change from the previous 72 weeks.....

Feeling the growl again

4 mile treadmill tempo run in 20:55 (~5:14 average).  I know that somewhere around 6:00 pace my treadmill runs start to diverge from outdoor reality so I wouldn't stand a chance in hell of replicating this workout outdoors.  However, the treadmill used is a constant so I can compare to prior workouts very well.

Late April or early May 2012 was my peak for last year, and I did this workout perhaps 3-4 seconds faster than today.  So, here we are at the start of the new year and I am already apparently in as good of shape as I ever was in 2013.  That's something good for the new year.

Correction -- looked it up -- I was 3 seconds FASTER yesterday than last year, and IIRC the effort was less.  Now if only I were successful and dropping ~5 lbs.... Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I ran a bit faster than I have done for the last couple of weeks for all of, I dunno, 20 seconds at a time yesterday, then today I ended up running the last 1.6 miles or so of my run at tempo pace.  Wow.  I'm really going for it.

Nice workout Spaniel.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

C-R

4 mile treadmill tempo run in 20:55 (~5:14 average).  I know that somewhere around 6:00 pace my treadmill runs start to diverge from outdoor reality so I wouldn't stand a chance in hell of replicating this workout outdoors.  However, the treadmill used is a constant so I can compare to prior workouts very well.

Late April or early May 2012 was my peak for last year, and I did this workout perhaps 3-4 seconds faster than today.  So, here we are at the start of the new year and I am already apparently in as good of shape as I ever was in 2013.  That's something good for the new year.

Nice!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R

Well I at least had a workout this week - which makes a change from the previous 72 weeks.....

You should add cross training. Perhaps pushing your wife's car to the shop can be logged.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

C-R

I ran a bit faster than I have done for the last couple of weeks for all of, I dunno, 20 seconds at a time yesterday, then today I ended up running the last 1.6 miles or so of my run at tempo pace.  Wow.  I'm really going for it.

Nice workout Spaniel.

And you thought those December stunts were stupid.

This is stupid, but not stupid in a good way.  See, if I were pulling some kind of stunt I might actually do something worthwhile.  Instead I went out for a bimble and got a bit faster at the end.  Return to my usual, unimproving, self.  I ran slower most of last week in case I hurt my cankled body while running more than I had been, I can even convince myself that I can't try harder and will fail if I do by the power of thought alone.  Wuss.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Slo

I'm certainly hoping there is a payoff there.

I need to follow that month up with another good one...I really need to sharpen the legs before Feb 2nd. I just got started last night with some striders.

Feeling the growl again

It has probably helped that despite an inexcusable number of goose eggs in my log, November and December were both two of the highest mileage months of 2012 (Dec was highest).  When I DO run I get it done.  Now if only I can eliminate most of the goose eggs...

When you called yesterday I was actually enjoying my first treadmill run over lunch at the new company gym facility.  That should help with some goose eggs.  It will be better when the January-ites filter out.

MTA:  In retrospect I am glad I approached Dec 2012 differently than Dec 2011 and did not let the stunt overwhelm real training.  I think that paid off.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

It has probably helped that despite an inexcusable number of goose eggs in my log, November and December were both two of the highest mileage months of 2012 (Dec was highest).  When I DO run I get it done.  Now if only I can eliminate most of the goose eggs...

When you called yesterday I was actually enjoying my first treadmill run over lunch at the new company gym facility.  That should help with some goose eggs.  It will be better when the January-ites filter out.

MTA:  In retrospect I am glad I approached Dec 2012 differently than Dec 2011 and did not let the stunt overwhelm real training.  I think that paid off.

I need to learn from this.  I can get the miles done, but I don't get it done because it isn't defined (same moan as last year).  It's been mentioned, elsewhere, that I could run a 10k in May.  I'm thinking about it.  However the goal time is something that makes me not want to think, and, realistically, there is no point in just running one 10km, I need to have other things to fail at.

In terms of the stunt, I didn't really pull a stunt this December.  I'm actually pleased by the miles and I did push them, but it was way more controlled than last December (even though it was only about 1 mile less of running).  I guess it's helped with the base...but something needs to be built soon...I am going skiing for 2 weeks at the end of January, so any progress may be screwed by that.

So is the new gym facility well set-up?  Any competition for the TM? 

Feeling the growl again

I need to have other things to fail at.

So is the new gym facility well set-up?  Any competition for the TM? 

I expect to see an attitude change or I am going to find an excuse to come over there and confiscate all your penguins and scotch.  Smile

There is a reason many Olympians have both athletic and mental coaches.  In virtually any sport, if you have already mind-fucked yourself the competition won't have to defeat you; you've already defeated yourself.  I can't say I've ever seen someone acheive something that they had already decided they could not do, or were going to fail at.  Self-fulfilling prophesies are real.  What was someone calling it on the GSP...the jerk brain or something like that?  Basically that your mind will shut you down long before your body will if you haven't sufficiently hardened it to what is required to acheive results.

I remember doing a 8X1000m with 90sec recoveries averaging 3:06 with a buddy in 2004.  It was TOUGH.  Cooling down after we were discussing how breaking 31 for 10K was a lifetime target for both of us, but how unworldly it was for us to think of being able to take the workout we had just done and run it straight through with zero recovery, then add 2km more at the end.  We could not even comprehend that!  But instead of focusing on a seemingly impossible target off in the future I just focused on putting my head down and improving, taking whatever that lead to, be it 32 or 31:30 or 31.  A couple years later the same friend was on the sidelines reading off splits when I got under 31.  Even as I ran it I found it hard to believe I was doing it, but I believed in myself absolutely.  Sure, my real goal was to qualify for the Olympic Trials and I failed at that.  But the potential to fail is not an excuse not to try.  You can't win big without being willing to fail along the way.  It's the people who keep believing in themselves even as they fail again and again who eventually reach their biggest goals.

You are a good runner and you put in the miles.  Athletically the potential is undoubtedly there.  You just need to throat-punch the candy-ass voice in your head that is holding you back.  Every time she speaks up I want you to visualize that and get it done.  Smile

MTA - The gym is set up decently.  4 treadmills facing out a big window towards the new 1/5 mile track (now snow-covered) and courtyard.  No TV to watch so I did music; there was one fan for each treadmill.  I hit it an lunchtime and despite the 30min time limit during peak hours I was able to stay on for 8 miles.  Usually at least 1 empty machine but all 4 were full some of the time.

Late April or early May 2012 was my peak for last year, and I did this workout perhaps 3-4 seconds faster than today.  So, here we are at the start of the new year and I am already apparently in as good of shape as I ever was in 2013.  That's something good for the new year.

Well, alright then....that is a damn good sign for the start of 2013.  Like you said earlier, fix those goose eggs in the log and then you'll be on to something.  Are you still going for those 2006 PR's?

Feeling the growl again

Are you still going for those 2006 PR's?

Heh.

Best running SINCE 2006, the only PR I could remotely reach is my marathon as it was mostly an injured jog.  All of my shorter PRs are probably lifetime at this point.  That marathon is a big maybe for the spring but I am still searching for a decent marathon that allows me to run the Indy Trail 50.

C-R

Heh.

Best running SINCE 2006, the only PR I could remotely reach is my marathon as it was mostly an injured jog.  All of my shorter PRs are probably lifetime at this point.  That marathon is a big maybe for the spring but I am still searching for a decent marathon that allows me to run the Indy Trail 50.

Sunburst June 2 in South Bend. Only one shitty hill at 23. The rest is pretty flat and its not crowded.

I'm looking at it for a BQ.

Purdey

Self anointed title

You should add cross training. Perhaps pushing your wife's car to the shop can be logged.

Damn French garlic munching rubbish