3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

kcam

That's cool! I see he raced Gerry Lindgren in the two-mile in high school in 1963.  Gerry went on to attend college here at WSU and minored in Russian language, which he studied right here in this very building where I am setting as I type this.  (It' s my lunch break, if anyone asks...).

Henry Rono and Bernard Lagat both also went to school here at WSU as well, but I don't know if either of them took any classes in this building. Lagat was here at WSU from 1996-2000 as an undergrad, and I probably saw him around all the time but didn't know who he was. I wasn't running or following the sport much at the time. Also Michael Kosgei, a 2:08 marathoner went to school here, although I'm not familiar with him.

Yeah, he raced Lindgren AND Jim Ryun in that race!  In that pic it's Lindgren, Gamez and then Ryun.  Ended up Lindgren, Ryun, Gamez.   I'd love to talk to him about the glory days but haven't been too encouraged so I leave it alone.  WSU has had it's share of great runners.  I grew up in El Paso in the early to late 70's (home to UTEP) and they had some of the very first Kenyans coming into the states to run.  Sure wish I'da taken an interest in track back then as there were some greats running around town back then.  I just remember thinking "there goes those skinny 'furrners' again"!

Prince of Fatness

Went the longest so far on the rower yesterday.  45 minutes.  I managed 9K and am feeling it just a little today so I am working.

One upped this yesterday.  50 minutes, 10K.  Nice workout.

Should get about 25 miles in on the rower this week, then I will go out for a run on Sunday.

Not at it at all. 

Very nice Mr. Finn.. One step at a time.

And we run because we like it
        Through the broad bright land

C-R

Alright Finn

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mr. Finn, back in the game. Cool!

I took a couple of days off to keep my leg from snapping off, but had a good run this morning at/around marathon pace. Still go for a long run on Sunday.

It was also my first run with my new Garmin Forerunner 210. Nerd crack.

Wow, that Gu stuff is like trying a drug for the first time. Did a 23 mile long run today, and my fastest miles were the last ones -- after I downed some gel at miles 16 and 20. I think not fueling on any of my long runs before this is going to be a big advantage, even if it wasn't always intentional.

Longest training run ever, had a good experience with the Gu, and all of my leg issues decided to go away after mile 14 and not come back. A very, very good workout for me.

Wow, that Gu stuff is like trying a drug for the first time. Did a 23 mile long run today, and my fastest miles were the last ones -- after I downed some gel at miles 16 and 20. I think not fueling on any of my long runs before this is going to be a big advantage, even if it wasn't always intentional.

Longest training run ever, had a good experience with the Gu, and all of my leg issues decided to go away after mile 14 and not come back. A very, very good workout for me.

Nice to hear Matt!  Love hearing stuff like this!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

One upped this yesterday.  50 minutes, 10K.  Nice workout.

Should get about 25 miles in on the rower this week, then I will go out for a run on Sunday.

Great job Finn! Hope you had a great run today

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

Great job Finn! Hope you had a great run today

Thanks.  I hosted a picnic with about 60 people Saturday so I didn't get any exercising in over the weekend.  Well unless you count lugging tables, chairs, coolers, etc., around.

Not at it at all. 

I think that counts as a workout -- that's a big picnic!

Nice to hear Matt!  Love hearing stuff like this!

Thanks! I'm surprised how good I feel this morning. A little sore in the hamstrings, but having a sore muscle instead of a tendon is a nice change.

Not a workout, but a long, hilly bimble.  My legs feel like they had a workout today though (so does my arm, but that's because I carried water-and somehow that tired it out).  Hills and technical trails are good for working out some of the sloppiness in my legs though, lots of changes in stride length and landing, lots of having to remember to lift legs/feet and lots of trying to balance out the work involved with the ups and the continued pounding of the downs.  Not a fast run, walked steep ups as was concerned 20 was pushing it (given 14 was my longest run to date this year) but it was okay.  I guess the relatively consistent, but not high, mileage has paid off as I at least finished feeling strong (helped by the turtle feeling less strong).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Not a workout, but a long, hilly bimble.  My legs feel like they had a workout today though (so does my arm, but that's because I carried water-and somehow that tired it out).  Hills and technical trails are good for working out some of the sloppiness in my legs though, lots of changes in stride length and landing, lots of having to remember to lift legs/feet and lots of trying to balance out the work involved with the ups and the continued pounding of the downs.  Not a fast run, walked steep ups as was concerned 20 was pushing it (given 14 was my longest run to date this year) but it was okay.  I guess the relatively consistent, but not high, mileage has paid off as I at least finished feeling strong (helped by the turtle feeling less strong).

Sounds like a NICE workout to me! Longest run this year and it had hills and technical trail. AWESOME!

It was good fun - and it felt like a workout, my legs enjoyed the change.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

I dont even know anymore.. had the strangest workout. Took it out too hard the first few intervals.. of course. On #3, I actually took a walking break in the middle. After a few seconds, decided that the wind was just stupid and not an excuse. The pace on the watch ballooned up to 545-ish. Then I closed the interval with a decent overall pace, 528.

And we run because we like it
                                Through the broad bright land