3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Feeling the growl again

Nice pictures.  I had to search to find out where Stanage Edge is.  Beautiful place to run and, apparently, ramble!

I thought she bimbled?

And, very pretty run.  I need to go somewhere scenic to run, I'm starting to lose my sanity around here.  But hey, they're planting corn, so the scenery will change daily!  Joy!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Hoppity may bimble but this from the wiki entry on Stanage Edge:

"Stanage is a magnet for climbers and ramblers in addition to runners. The Stanage Struggle is a popular local fell race that starts in nearby Hathersage and rises to High Neb before returning to the village 500 feet below."

The Stanage Struggle sounds way cool.  Is there fell racing in the states?  Never heard of any advertised as that.

I thought she bimbled?

And, very pretty run.  I need to go somewhere scenic to run, I'm starting to lose my sanity around here.  But hey, they're planting corn, so the scenery will change daily!  Joy!

I was going to log it as a bimble, it really was one. 

It is a pretty run.  It's a 2.5 hour drive from our house so it's not one for every day, but I love getting out there.   What's your regular run like, is there stuff we would call scenery (but you wouldn't due to it being familiar)?

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Hoppity may bimble but this from the wiki entry on Stanage Edge:

"Stanage is a magnet for climbers and ramblers in addition to runners. The Stanage Struggle is a popular local fell race that starts in nearby Hathersage and rises to High Neb before returning to the village 500 feet below."

The Stanage Struggle sounds way cool.  Is there fell racing in the states?  Never heard of any advertised as that.

I'm not sure there is fell racing in the states, but by the sounds of some of the mountain races you have those would count as fell runs, as would some of the trail stuff I guess.  Have you read Feet in the Clouds?  It's a nice take on the fell running in the UK. You should come over and experience the Stanage Struggle plus some other runs/races like it.

The climbing on Stanage is pretty good (well good for routes that are very short - less than 20m tall, many around 12m - and the rest of the Peak District also has a fair old chunk of good gritstone climbing - with the grit a fairly interesting rock to climb.  There are lots of fell events in the area, and the running would make a fantastic training ground as you have the roads, the hills, the trails and some decent and scenic flat runs on a range of surfaces.  This year we might run the Nine Edges which is a 22(ish) mile run along 9 of the gritstone edges in the national park - there is even a category for people who want to climb a route on each edge. The area is somewhere I would love to live closer to - running, climbing, bimbling and rambling - just need to sort the job bit out.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Dang you are a cutie, Hoppity!!

Not as cute as your feline self.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yes - I agree with Ilene and Ken.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Prince of Fatness

I've been rowing over a month now so I figure that it was time do a time trial which I did yesterday.  5K in 21:39.  I can see getting under 20 but it will take some work.

Not at it at all. 

I've been rowing over a month now so I figure that it was time do a time trial which I did yesterday.  5K in 21:39.  I can see getting under 20 but it will take some work.

Nice job Tim! I'm sure you'll be under 20 in no time!

As for my rowing I finally got a long row in Yesterday. I decided an hour and 45 minutes would be good. Got in a little over a half marathon and I still managed to get out and run with my husband, son and dog. We'll see how the row affects my lifting session this morning.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Very nice!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

If it would give me abs and arms like Rocken I'd be tempted to get a rower.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

That's for sure!

MTA:  Good going Finn!

steph  

Prince of Fatness

I decided an hour and 45 minutes would be good.

Um, wow.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

A big +1 to that.

As for my rowing I finally got a long row in Yesterday. I decided an hour and 45 minutes would be good. Got in a little over a half marathon and I still managed to get out and run with my husband, son and dog. We'll see how the row affects my lifting session this morning.

Wow!  That's great that you're getting the family run time in too.

I had a nice one last SAT evening.  Work and life generally have been very stressful of late, and training has been ... uneven.  I got blocked out of a race FRI evening and did some speed SAT: 400/800/1200/1600/1200/800/400, all at 5k pace (6:00-6:05, we think) w/2min recoveries.  Other than my inability to COUNT TO THREE (*), I very nearly ran every rep at sub-6 pace.

(*) = The mile rep hurt.  The entire recovery, I was psyching myself up for the 1200 -- thinking about the easy forst 200m, then how the discomfort would build, how the second lap would feel awful, the third would be hard but not really worse, and I'd find a nice stride that covered ground quickly and efficiently.  So by the time I was actually running the next rep and distracted by its discomfort, my head interpreted all that 1200 thinking as my having already completed it!  Pressed the Lap button after two laps, then realized the mistake.  Oops.  (For the record, it was playing out as scripted.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau