3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Feeling the growl again

I think I am on the up side of this heel thing, after losing 40-60 miles of running to it and going through a bottle of Advil in the past several weeks.  I can still feel it but I'm not hobbling anymore and it does not affect, nor flare up, after running.  I was able to rehab it while still covering 94 miles this week and setting a PR for weekly treadmill miles (88), as well as throwing in a few encouraging workouts.

I think I'll stay out of flats until there is no sign of this thing anymore, just in case.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

I'm in. We'll stage a downhill race on skates.

Thinking about running today. 

Actually, the continued illness leveled off the weight gain and actually reversed the trend. Time to start running. Still not out of the ill-woods yet, but definitely on the mend. Thought I was better before, but it just did not last.

Are we living in parallel?

Hawt and sexy

I'm pretty sure my calves are not going to explode. Now, if anyone has any ideas on how to deal with arthritic toes, I would love to hear it. Running seems to take care of all my other joints below the waist. The toes are persistent though.

I'm touching your pants.

The King of Beasts

my legs hurt

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

obsessor

Are we living in parallel?

yup. especially if you ran 11 or 12 miles today.

Seanv2

Dealing with injuries is one of the many things about running that I have yet to figure out. I've got no real sense of when something is serious or when I can run through it and even less of a sense when I should return to running after taking time off.

Did 4.5 easy miles tonight, heel was uncomfortable, but didn't "hurt". So maybe I'm back?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

Dealing with injuries is one of the many things about running that I have yet to figure out. I've got no real sense of when something is serious or when I can run through it and even less of a sense when I should return to running after taking time off.

Did 4.5 easy miles tonight, heel was uncomfortable, but didn't "hurt". So maybe I'm back?

Mine has been uncomfortable to some degree since mid-December.  When I started today, it took nearly two miles before I did not have a pretty sharp but low-intensity pain with every footfall.  I anticipate I will be in more or less constant pain of some level until I race Boston and take some time off.

Injuries that should stop you from training typically don't start to go away when you warm up, at least in my experience.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Seanv2

Mine has been uncomfortable to some degree since mid-December.  When I started today, it took nearly two miles before I did not have a pretty sharp but low-intensity pain with every footfall.  I anticipate I will be in more or less constant pain of some level until I race Boston and take some time off.

Injuries that should stop you from training typically don't start to go away when you warm up, at least in my experience.

I think that is another difference in how to handle an injury. You are on your way to Boston, I am training for nothing in particular so when and how much time to take off is going to be different.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

I think that is another difference in how to handle an injury. You are on your way to Boston, I am training for nothing in particular so when and how much time to take off is going to be different.

Well, to be more clear I guess my point was that if it was bad enough to require time off it would not allow me to continue to train on it like this.  Certainly one's goals will affect how much they are willing to put up with, you're right.

Prince of Fatness

I still have some nerve shit going on in my leg, but it's time to stop pussyfooting around and start upping the mileage.  Other than my leg, what's stopping me is weight and motivation, and those two seem to go hand in hand.  I just don't feel like I am in training mode yet.  I'm going to set a modest goal of running 45 mpw and be 175 pounds by the end of February.  I am at 35 mpw and 182 now.

As for my leg, the hamstring really isn't an issue anymore.  I think that there is something going on in the glute area that is impacting the sciatic nerve.  I think that it is nerve because the pain isn't so bad but I feel weakness in the leg when I run and occasionally when I stretch the piriformis there is a click and it sends tingling all the way down to my foot.  I haven't been to the ART guy in a while and I think that it is time to get in for a few more sessions.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I think that it is time to get in for a few more sessions.

Do what you need to do to keep it going man...

Seanv2

Other than my leg, what's stopping me is weight and motivation, and those two seem to go hand in hand. 

Phin, I hear you on this. I notice that even when I am just a couple of pounds heavier that it is harder to get the miles in. Carrying around extra weight is extra work (obviously) and it makes getting out there even more difficult. Sound like you have a good and realistic goal. Good luck.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Do what you need to do to keep it going man...

You have Winter #3 in a week and a half, brother!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Prince of Fatness

You have Winter #3 in a week and a half, brother!

Yes, I'll be OK.  The leg's no worse than it was a month ago; I just need some more kinks worked out.  I am also going to sign up for Winter #4 which is the last Saturday in February.  Might as well do the half.  You hitting either of these?

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Thanks guys.  I'm not ready to give up yet.

Not at it at all.