3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

C-R

I've decided the10% rule is for wussies.

True dat. Drinking any beer with alcohol content less than 10% is for wussies. Nicely called W.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I've decided the10% rule is for wussies.

I don't even get as far as 10% at times and I still end up a bit hurt (and then have to revert to grumpy/recovery runs, which are better than not running, but make me feel like a stagnant pond of gunk).  I don't know what's worse than a wussie, but I am one of them, and I don't even try to be!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Hawt and sexy

I skip the beer and go straight for the hard liquor. Saves both time and money.  I do have memories of driving across state lines for beer with more alcohol back in the day though. Good times.

I'm touching your pants.

I look my best blurry!

I skip the beer and go straight for the hard liquor. Saves both time and money.  I do have memories of driving across state lines for beer with more alcohol back in the day though. Good times.

I did that a few times.  Grew up north of Pittsburgh.  We used to drive to Youngstown, Ohio.  Crazy fun!  So long ago!

Feeling the growl again

I broke down and decided to try out my new flats on the treadmill last night.  I made it all of 0.15 miles before my heel told me N-O.

Sigh.  This is going to be a long spring.  I think I will be living with this injury until I run Boston and take a few weeks off.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

So now I can post here because I hurt myself. I was perfectly happy doing 80-85 mpw and then I ran the Boston Prep and f'd up my left IT Band. I wear a strap when I run and it usually starts aching after 5 miles or so - 2 w/o the strap. So now I have to cut mileage to allow myself time to rest more. I'm thinking 60-65 with intervals on Tues, tempo on Fri, and a 13-15 mile long run on Sundays. I did 5 X 1K today with no problems but the usual soreness afterward. I roll HARD and stretch 4X daily and ice, too. It feels weird to train THROUGH an injury...

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

I broke down and decided to try out my new flats on the treadmill last night.  I made it all of 0.15 miles before my heel told me N-O.

Sigh.  This is going to be a long spring.  I think I will be living with this injury until I run Boston and take a few weeks off.

That really bites!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I look my best blurry!

So now I can post here because I hurt myself. I was perfectly happy doing 80-85 mpw and then I ran the Boston Prep and f'd up my left IT Band. I wear a strap when I run and it usually starts aching after 5 miles or so - 2 w/o the strap. So now I have to cut mileage to allow myself time to rest more. I'm thinking 60-65 with intervals on Tues, tempo on Fri, and a 13-15 mile long run on Sundays. I did 5 X 1K today with no problems but the usual soreness afterward. I roll HARD and stretch 4X daily and ice, too. It feels weird to train THROUGH an injury...

Well welcome to my world. I didn't know there was another way!

Have you thought about trying A.R.T???? ITB can be a real bitch however I had a friend of mine that was dealing with ITB issue's that after a few sessions of A.R.T and the pain went away. Good luck! By the way I'm not sure that ITB is an injury to train through (though I would NEVER say that here)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Boo. I have trained through IT Band stuff. Generally it was the result of a weak ass. I also switched my shoes. Mine aches a little every now and then, but when it does I just do more lunges and single leg squats. Strenghtening some muscles has helpted it a lot. I also saw a guy that did ART type stuff... but it will just keep coming back unless you address the cause. Also a foam roller and stretching helped too.

~Sara
                      It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Finally hurt myself. Facking foot. Not sure what is going on, but I am guessing a tendon. Just behind my outside ankle bone is tender and it's not super comfortable to run. Perhaps a speed workout a few days after a hard 50k race was not a good idea. Whoops. Will continue to run and ice and take anti-inflammatories. Hopefully it works.

~Sara
                        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

I look my best blurry!

http://asklaurenfleshman.com/journal/2011/01/28/fighting-injury-with-gratitude/

I have this posted on the community thread too.  I'm not whining, I'm just saying this is exactly how I feel about my lower leg pain.  I struggle with staying positive and that if part of the reason why I joined this group.  I'm moving forward.

Prince of Fatness

Finally hurt myself. Facking foot. Not sure what is going on, but I am guessing a tendon. Just behind my outside ankle bone is tender and it's not super comfortable to run. Perhaps a speed workout a few days after a hard 50k race was not a good idea. Whoops. Will continue to run and ice and take anti-inflammatories. Hopefully it works.

Sounds like maybe peroneal tendon?  If so, hit the outside of your leg, just below the knee, with a foam roller.  You can also hit this area at your desk at work by crossing your leg over your knee and using the knee to massage.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Up on the side of the foot?

Mine on the bottom of my foot continues to hinder my ability to run in the morning -- it takes about 15min of walking before I can stand on it.  It has gone from something that is usually painful to more of a constant tightness that just hurts in the morning.

40 miles in 2 days over the weekend did not help it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

http://asklaurenfleshman.com/journal/2011/01/28/fighting-injury-with-gratitude/

I have this posted on the community thread too.  I'm not whining, I'm just saying this is exactly how I feel about my lower leg pain.  I struggle with staying positive and that if part of the reason why I joined this group.  I'm moving forward.

You're popping impressive mileage for being injured...