3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Fall 1-Mile Challenge (Read 1148 times)

an amazing likeness

Even though I'm older than the so-very-wise potato farmer, and may even be more...ahem...husky.

I'm in.

What the hey. Let's see what the earnest rotund little milk bottle can do.

MTA: I forgot that I had actually run a timed mile late winter this year.  Hmm...don't think I could run that time on my own on a track. Gulp.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Well, hell.  I missed the July foolishness on account of I'm lazy, and I'd otherwise miss this one-mile foolishness because I'm training for a marathon and don't want to screw it up.

But let me be the example of how marathon training improves one's track times.  If I can get the mile TT done in the opening window, I'm in.  I won't be doing any of Andy's workouts (helpful though that post was), just plain-Jane marathon prep.

Yes, this is what I will do as well.  I'll see where my marathon plan will take me-or not take me.   

Never having done this, I gave it a shot today just to get a feel for it.  But I almost always do my running in my neighborhood

to save the drive time.  My area is all small rolling hills so it didn't work out that well.  

That combined with the fact that I didn't time it correctlyRoll eyes

So I will have to get to the "Y" track to do my TT.

steph  

It'll be interesting to see whether Hops will be able to push herself, as I've not seen her do it yet - she's never even done any speed work. She ran up a hill twice (apparently), but I wasn't there, so it never happened. Never racing doesn't help as having to chase someone down in the last 100m really helps you ignore the pain.

I agree with spaniel that unless you're trained for the distance it's difficult to really damage yourself by pushing hard for short distances. I think the most pain I've ever felt running has been in the last 50m of a 400m race - I threw up afterwards and then passed out - but I was 17 and a stone lighter (and probably 10s per 400m faster) than I am now.  I remember intervals hurting a lot too...now how can we get Hops to do some intervals?

I'm not sure how to get me to do intervals?!  Thanks for the encouragement everyone, and for the words about not being able to run truly hard if you're not conditioned for it, that makes a lot of sense.   As for the hill reps, I have done them twice...and I've been known to run the occasional tempo run and I think I've done strides about 5 times too.  I tend to shy away from anything like that because it's too "honest" (and because I'm nervous of it all in terms of overdoing it...whereas I seem stupid enough to push for mileage when I shouldn't be).

Okay.  So we did out time trials this morning.  We don't have a track or decent stretch of uninterrupted pavement, so we opted to use the towpath which is a bit windy, has three bridges to run over and quite a few people on bikes, pushing prams etc.

The turtle ran 5:58 and is disappointed as he said he went out too fast, had to sprint to overtake a woman on a bicycle and left sprinting at the end too late.  Equally he's pleased he was still marginally below 6 and it gives him room for improvement.  He claims he felt a bit sick at the end, but I wouldn't know because the last time I could see him (as he went off into the distance) was about 0.5 miles in.  His goal is 5:45.

I wasn't sure if I was going to give it a try, especially as a couple of strides at the turtle's pace in the field on the way to the towpath nearly killed me and this has been my biggest mileage week since January and this was my recovery day (excuses, excuses).  Either way, I decided I may as well have a go because I was never going to want to.  I had to run watch-free as the turtle had my Garmin and I also didn't know where the mile was going to finish (this is probably both advantageous and disadvantageous-therefore neutral?)  I ended up doing 6:56, which I think I could probably improve on given I came round a corner to see that I only had about 20m left to "sprint finish".  However I was a bit surprised at the time because although I was tired I thought I was doing about 7:30 pace, and seriously didn't think I could ever run a mile anywhere near 7 pace. As with Brian, I had a couple of detours around people with bikes and pushchairs, but as we'll do our September mile on the same path I guess that will always come into play. 

Also this was on Garmin distance plus a few paces, so is probably not a mile and is something under. 

Not sure on my goal....other to improve.  I'd welcome suggestions.  The turtle suggests 6:40 which seems somewhat ambitious (given the 30 miler and everything else...but then this is the hurtlocker).

Good luck with the sub-20 C-R. 

MTA (again):  I just typed my time into Mcmillan (and yes, I know that's not to be totally trusted either), but it predicts my 5k time from that a 24:10...which is a bit friggin' shit considering I ran a 5k when coming back from injury 2 years ago with far fewer miles in me in 23:47 (or something like that) and have run faster in those few tempo runs too.  It reckons 8:33 pace for a HM and I've done 8:15 for 18 mile long runs.  Shit.  I really am shit at the moment and shit in general.  Must try harder.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Nothing to add to what has already been said by Hops, other than I wish I'd run slightly harder and tactically (and not had to accelerate around people).  My plan was to kick 200m from the end, but when I got there I thought it was too early so I held off until 50m from the end...and realised I should have gone earlier. 

I was surprised she actually committed to running the mile as she'd been talking herself out on the run to the towpath.  She could probably have run harder though as she looked a bit too comfortable when she finished and was talking to me immediately.  Also, fresh legs might help her.  However I've said for ages she can run a 7 minute mile and I'm pleased she now has.

Feeling the growl again

MTA (again):  I just typed my time into Mcmillan (and yes, I know that's not to be totally trusted either), but it predicts my 5k time from that a 24:10...which is a bit friggin' shit considering I ran a 5k when coming back from injury 2 years ago with far fewer miles in me in 23:47 (or something like that) and have run faster in those few tempo runs too.  It reckons 8:33 pace for a HM and I've done 8:15 for 18 mile long runs.  Shit.  I really am shit at the moment and shit in general.  Must try harder.

Actually, no.  The calculator assumes you are in the same conditioning for each distance.  You are not training for the mile, you are training for longer races and not doing speed and anaerobic workouts, so it is no surprise that you under-performed in the mile (ie you can run a faster 5K than that mile time predicts).  So, the result is nothing surprising, it means you have aerobic potential to go faster in the mile, you just need to polish your speed and neuromuscular conditioning.

Example:  I used to run relay events with a guy who ran 1:52-1:55 in the 800m, depending on the day.  That's a mid-14 5K, converted by McMillan.  I was running ~15:40s at the time, and he was never anywhere close to me in races (16+).  Clearly he was in very very good condition for mid-distance, but far worse condition for distance races.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks Spaniel. Those are, as always, good and helpful comments. 

I did know that it required me to actually be trained and conditioned for the distance it was extrapolating to...but I just didn't realise quite how "off" it was going to be for me (naive I know)...that just hit me as a sign I really am not moving well over short distances.  I know it's not a surprise, but sometimes confirmation of what you already know is still a bit of a pain!   I guess I am also more used to Mcmillan projections being off in the other direction (like your example with the 800m times not predicting 5k)...I also realise that the past times I used as examples of "offness" are not what I can necessarily run right now (so the mile may in fact be closer to my current race pace at longer distances).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

Thanks Spaniel. Those are, as always, good and helpful comments. 

I did know that it required me to actually be trained and conditioned for the distance it was extrapolating to...but I just didn't realise quite how "off" it was going to be for me (naive I know)...that just hit me as a sign I really am not moving well over short distances.  I know it's not a surprise, but sometimes confirmation of what you already know is still a bit of a pain!   I guess I am also more used to Mcmillan projections being off in the other direction (like your example with the 800m times not predicting 5k)...I also realise that the past times I used as examples of "offness" are not what I can necessarily run right now (so the mile may in fact be closer to my current race pace at longer distances).

If you want to see a laughable conversion, wait until I do my time trial.  Wink

A couple summers ago I ran a 16:17 5K.  Later in the day, I also ran an 800m.  McMillan predicts a 2:06 from that 5K.

I ran 2:20.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ostrich runner

When I was running in the mid 16s, I would totally explode in anything longer than 9 at a slow pace and anything more than 5 or 6 at tempo.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I don't think the calculator has factors for doubling races. Had you ran that 800 fresh, you would have been a lot closer to predicted times.

If you want to see a laughable conversion, wait until I do my time trial.  Wink

A couple summers ago I ran a 16:17 5K.  Later in the day, I also ran an 800m.  McMillan predicts a 2:06 from that 5K.

I ran 2:20.

Feeling the growl again

I don't think the calculator has factors for doubling races. Had you ran that 800 fresh, you would have been a lot closer to predicted times.

Dude, there was HOURS in between races.  I was fresh.  You clearly do not understand the degree to which I suck at short races.  Smile  Beer miles make me look faster than I really am.

When I found I'd be on a DMR 800m leg at the USATF Indoor National Championships one year (club exhibition event), I spend 4-5 weeks actually training to run a fast 800m.  I raced it twice, once locally and once in Boston at USATF, running 2:12 after a 60-flat 400m split both times.  I told our team organizer we'd lose less time with me in the 1600m but he didn't believe me until he saw it.  In HS when I did copious amounts of speed training I ran as fast as 2:06.  Obviously pathetic for someone with the 5K/10K times I've run.  And in HS I really, really wanted to be a 800m runner.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I debated whether or not to try this since I'm not exactly Mr. Speedy. Since I think my limiting factor is my fitness I figured it would make a good fitness test. I didn't do as bad as I thought I would, but it's not exactly where I'd like to be either.

My mile according to Garmin was 7:25. 

I'm not sure what to set as my goal. How much can I really expect my mile time to go down doing just aerobic type runs in 5 weeks?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Okay then.  If I wait until I feel like driving to a flat area or the Y track I may never get it done.  

So I went ahead and did my mile on the street in front of my house.  Slight upgrade on the way out.   When the up grade

became too noticeable I turned around.   Out and back a little more than 41/2 times.

Since we are just looking for improvement (hopefully) this should be okay as long as I use the same route next time.

Garmin says: 7:37  7:38

MTA:  I am now in the last week of the aerobic phase of my marathon plan -- Running Wizard --  which I didn't actually start following

until last week.  By the end of September I will have also four weeks of the hill phase and three weeks of the

anaerobic phase.  So we will see how that worksSmile

Hmm, I have no Idea about a goal.   But will go with 7:20.

steph  

6:48, 80 degrees and 100% humidity, but felt easier than the last time I ran the mile TT, no heavy legs, no hard breathing until the last 200 m, maybe left a couple of seconds on the track.

Feeling the growl again

6:48, 80 degrees and 100% humidity, but felt easier than the last time I ran the mile TT, no heavy legs, no hard breathing until the last 200 m, maybe left a couple of seconds on the track.

Goal?