3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Fall 1-Mile Challenge (Read 1148 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Spaniel, does that mean that your legs are the limiting factor rather than your cardio? If so, what can you do to make your legs faster?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, does that mean that your legs are the limiting factor rather than your cardio? If so, what can you do to make your legs faster?

IMHO it's a combination of lack of turnover (massively untrained fast twich and neuromuscular coordination), lactate intolerance, and artificially low max HR. 

The last one I don't know what to call it, but I simply can't imagine my max HR is really as low as it seems to be during these workouts.  I think with appropriate workouts I can get it back up there in short-ish order.

I was much faster at a workout like this in HS or college but I can still handily beat my long distance times from those years now.  So, it's not cardio per se.

MTA:  What I really need is a steep 60sec hill to run repeats up.  Alas I am stuck with a freeway overpass as my best option.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I got it done today - 12 mile run.  7 easy and then I started to do some striders and a hard 200.  10 mile was my TT = 5:31.8 (1600) converts to a 5:33.7 mile.  This was a good time to do it - 1 week before a goal race, so in the middle of taper.

I will test out on Oct 7th - 1 week before a goal race - So I will be in the middle of taper.

Goal for Oct 7th = 5:12 (1600) = 5:13.8 mile 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

TT = 5:31.8 (1600) converts to a 5:33.7 mile.

Goal for Oct 7th = 5:12 (1600) = 5:13.8 mile 

Holy Shit.  20 seconds.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

DoppleBock

I am not comfortable running fast on the track.  I think if all I did was skip the 5x5 @ V02 and do 5x1200 on track + add a few fast 200 or 400 - I think it will come fast

DoppleBock

Plus if you noticed a trend:  July Mileage challenge, Weight loss thread and now this - I usually set out there goals that I tend to come up a little short on - That way I am never happy or satisfied with my effort.  Although when I set all of these goals, I truly believe I can acheive them.

The weight loss is still pissing me off as if I had just a little restraint on vacations I would be to goal already.  Where the mileage goal - I knew that was a long shot with vacations and I am better off that I did not reach toward it.

obsessor

Plus if you noticed a trend:  July Mileage challenge, Weight loss thread and now this - I usually set out there goals that I tend to come up a little short on - That way I am never happy or satisfied with my effort.  Although when I set all of these goals, I truly believe I can acheive them.

The weight loss is still pissing me off as if I had just a little restraint on vacations I would be to goal already.  Where the mileage goal - I knew that was a long shot with vacations and I am better off that I did not reach toward it.

I think you are doing great, and I would love to be as fast as you are now. You are losing fat faster than anyone, maintaining a high mileage. maintaining workouts, and not whining about it. That's good.

I am not saying that as a pat on the back or as a cheerleader, just saying that credit goes where credit is due, and  you've amassed some credit, and you might be able to take out a little cash coming up here, if you keep it up. Everything is coming to a point. 

DoppleBock

Thanks - I am looking to cash into these things before the end of the year

1)  2 ultra-race wins (1 24 hour, 1 50 mile trail)

2)  Weight to 175-180 pounds ... I really want 170, but I will hit 178-182 and maintain throught winter.

3)  Run < 2:50 at Monkey 

4)  Set at least one PR in one of these distances (#1 = Weakest, #4 the hardest)

5k - 17:51 #2 (2005)

5M - 29:07 #3 tied (2007)

10K - 35:46 #4 (2006)

15K - 56:19 #3 tied (2006)

10M - 1:01:57 #1 (2005)

It is starting to piss me off seeing all those old dates.

Of these races There is a 5k/15k I could run 1 week post Monkey and either a 5M/10M 2 weeks post monkey.

My ultimate goal is to position myself for a run at Mad City 100k in 2013

I feel I need to be in < 6:00 marathon pace shape to even have a shot to run sub 7 hours.

I think you are doing great, and I would love to be as fast as you are now. You are losing fat faster than anyone, maintaining a high mileage. maintaining workouts, and not whining about it. That's good.

I am not saying that as a pat on the back or as a cheerleader, just saying that credit goes where credit is due, and  you've amassed some credit, and you might be able to take out a little cash coming up here, if you keep it up. Everything is coming to a point. 

DoppleBock

Plus at 43 it's time to shit or get off the pot.

DoppleBock

RACE DATES ANNOUNCED! Our MadCity Race Director Timo Yanacheck has announced the race dates for 2013 and 2014 as follows:

MadCity 100K, 50K and 50K Relay

Saturday April 20, 2013

Saturday April 19, 2014

Currently the MadCity organizing committee is applying for USATF Championship certification for both years. Registration for the 2013 race will open in January 2013.

Feeling the growl again

RACE DATES ANNOUNCED! Our MadCity Race Director Timo Yanacheck has announced the race dates for 2013 and 2014 as follows:

MadCity 100K, 50K and 50K Relay

Saturday April 20, 2013

Saturday April 19, 2014

Currently the MadCity organizing committee is applying for USATF Championship certification for both years. Registration for the 2013 race will open in January 2013.

You keep dangling this in my face....really thinking of it.

Somehow I think I need decently faster than sub-6 MP to go sub-7 since I don't run 5000 miles per year.

DoppleBock

From a few knowledgeable people - 6:00 MP can translate well into into sub 7 hour 100k.

But like you said - Endurance is also a key factor.

Plus this couse is not aweful, but also not a walk in the park.  1 smaller hill, 1 long hill, a small sharper downhill - Some sidewalk (1/3 mile).  I would the rest has variation - but nice to run variation.

Feeling the growl again

From a few knowledgeable people - 6:00 MP can translate well into into sub 7 hour 100k.

I totally believe you, but I believe the translation is easier for people more experienced and specifically trained for ultras than me.  I would hope by then I am closer to 2:30-2:32 shape to give me some more cushion.  Smile

But I am trying to move in the right direction, the majority of miles I ran this week came from long runs...

Ostrich runner

There is a 25k purse available to anyone that can break the U.S. trail 100 record at the inaugural Indiana Trail 100 next spring. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

DoppleBock

Intersting - Without looking - My guess is that the course is harder than Rocky Racoon or Umstead - I do know know what the US trail 100 record is, but I know Ian Sharman ran Rocky in 12:44:35 - A Brit, but could set the record run on a US trail - I know it is not a world record.  Does it list what the current mark is?

There is a 25k purse available to anyone that can break the U.S. trail 100 record at the inaugural Indiana Trail 100 next spring.