3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Fall 1-Mile Challenge (Read 1148 times)

Ostrich runner

They have it at 12:44:33. I don't know enough about RR or Umstead, but this is a fast course. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

obsessor

I totally believe you, but I believe the translation is easier for people more experienced and specifically trained for ultras than me.  I would hope by then I am closer to 2:30-2:32 shape to give me some more cushion.  Smile

But I am trying to move in the right direction, the majority of miles I ran this week came from long runs...

I am with you there. 6:40 pace must feel easy. Really easy. Sleepwalk easy. 100 miles per week for a month easy. At 100k pace. "For me" I think a 2:30 marathon, speed up my easy pace, a 30 plus mile long run every 3 weeks, and sustained 110 to 120 mpw, with every 3rd or fourth week back down to 80-90, would do it.

I had this in mind to do once, and was killing some nice 25 mile workouts at 10 min "on" at MP 10 min "off" Some XC and hills for strengthening, and just a lot of on-pace running.

Race went really bad. One of two DNF's. Some odd hip problem.

(this go around, my hips have been miraculously pain and hitch free - despite the extra ###############'s)

Feeling the growl again

I think a 2:30 marathon, speed up my easy pace, a 30 plus mile long run every 3 weeks, and sustained 110 to 120 mpw, with every 3rd or fourth week back down to 80-90, would do it.

I had this in mind to do once, and was killing some nice 25 mile workouts at 10 min "on" at MP 10 min "off" Some XC and hills for strengthening, and just a lot of on-pace running.

Pretty much what I was thinking.  30 mile long run coming up soon...not sure I can fit the weekly volume in for this fall, may try for spring.  Did a total of 14 out of 20 miles at 6:00 pace last night with no fueling.

I no longer stand any hope of being in 2:30 pace for the 50 this fall due to my forced time off, but spring is another opportunity as I train better in the winter anyways.  If I could hit even close to 7hr 100K pace for the 50-miler this fall, I would consider that a great starting point to extend from over the winter.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Although you DNF'd what was your impression of the Mad City course?  I have it maybe 1 minute slower than an ideal course ?  I can say that the bigger longer hill had me swearing my lap #2 of the 50k - But I was in poor shape. 

Race went really bad. One of two DNF's. Some odd hip problem.

(this go around, my hips have been miraculously pain and hitch free - despite the extra ###############'s)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

obsessor

Although you DNF'd what was your impression of the Mad City course?  I have it maybe 1 minute slower than an ideal course ?  I can say that the bigger longer hill had me swearing my lap #2 of the 50k - But I was in poor shape. 

on a 1 to 10 scale of easy to hard, I'd give it a 2. Maybe 1.5. Flatter might be worse. It was plenty flat for me. The weather wild card of Wisconsin in March could make this an 7 or 8.

DoppleBock

2013 = April 20th - But still a ??

DoppleBock

All I knoow is 2013 it will be harder to make the team as they have a policy of "Automatic is top 10 @ worlds" and 4 US men finished in the top 10.  I would rather have them adjust it to top 10 and team scorer (top 3 on team) to leave at least 3 at large bids to keep people interested in working toward it.

In theory at the 212 24 hour worlds in Poland all 6 could finish in top 10 (will not happen) and there would be no spots to shoot for in 2013

obsessor

I think not. Too far off, though. Have not signed up for a race yet. Maybe October. Try for a 19:50. for 5k?

1600 on track on Friday was 6:34. That's where I am at. A long way to go. 

Feeling the growl again

1600 on track on Friday was 6:34. That's where I am at. A long way to go. 

Goal for a month or so out?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

All I knoow is 2013 it will be harder to make the team as they have a policy of "Automatic is top 10 @ worlds" and 4 US men finished in the top 10.  I would rather have them adjust it to top 10 and team scorer (top 3 on team) to leave at least 3 at large bids to keep people interested in working toward it.

For the 100K?  How many at large bids open then?  Yes I am that ignorant.

DoppleBock

It looks like the same process is being applied to 100k and 24 hour teams

If a person finishes in the top 10 at the last World Championship Race they are on the team.  The remaining spots will be filled by rank order of race results within a qualifying period.  You would have to look specifically at the website for qaulifying period.  

It happens that 4 Americans finished in the top 10 - So all are automatically selected for 2013 team - It is possible one of these men could turn down their spot, but as it stand right now there are 2 spots open for 2013.  It seems common that at least 1 person gets injured or turns down the spot, so often the 1st alternate gets to dance.

http://www.usaultrarunning.com/100km-team/qualifying-for-the-team 

If not enough 100k qualifying time are put up they can go down to 50 mile times - But that is unlikely that enough men will not have run < 7:20.  I use 7:00 as that is what I think it will take.

For the 100K?  How many at large bids open then?  Yes I am that ignorant.

obsessor

Goal for a month or so out?

5:50.

Prince of Fatness

5 x 40 seconds again tonight.  Felt pretty good.  May increase the time next week.

Not at it at all. 

Purdey

Self anointed title

Plus he always takes the chronic pee out of me for having "geeky internet friends"

Yep.  We are all real geeks compared to Hoppity and The Turtle...  Wink

(I love geeks)

Purdey

Self anointed title

However she doesn't really know what running hard is, so it would be a good opportunity for her to find out.

Ha.  I like Brian's infrequent, but wonderful, posts.