3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March 2014 Racing Thread (Read 41 times)

Walk-Jogger

I'm going to run the St. Paddy's Day 10K this Saturday, the 15th. This will be my first race since my marathon last July. Target is <40:00, if I'm not getting too old to make it happen. It's a small race, so I'll likely be running solo all the way. Hopefully I'm ready for this. I messed up at this race last year by not only not tapering for it but also stupidly running a hard 8 miles the day before. Not going to do that this week. I am worried a bit about my right hamstring, as I had a sharp pain in it last night 4 miles into a 6 mile run that hobbled me briefly. I ran on it this morning and it seemed to be "mostly" ok.  Weather looks like it might actually be sunny and nice.

Retired &  Loving It

Took a pasting this morning.  I knew it wasn't going to be a PR day as my legs were feeling sore on the way there from some Renato Canova inspired hill sprints I did on Thursday night.  16:47 and 8th overall.  The lungs were fine but the legs were shot.

I also got geezered by a very good v50.  No matter.  It was a good run out a week before the half I've been building up to next Sunday....

Lets have another go....

Date Who Race Name Location Distance Goal Result
      3/15 Roth Runner Dulwich Parkun 5k London, UK 5k <16:22 PR  

Walk-Jogger

3/15 Cecil58 St. Patrick's Day 10K Clarkston, WA 10k <40:00  39:37

39:37, and 2nd place over-all.

About what I was hoping for time wise, but wasn't sure I still had it. I intentionally started off slower than is my usual style, and after the 5k runners split off just before mile 1 I found myself in 3rd place for the 10k runners. The 2nd place guy, whom I'd guess was about 20 years old was 50 meters or so up on me until just past the half-way point, where he seemed to start looking back to see where I was and where the next person behind me was, and he clearly handed 2nd place over to me at that point. I almost felt bad about passing him, but then in less than a quarter-mile we dropped off the far end of the big bridge and had to run a short very steep downhill zig-zag trail, and I could tell he was trying to to catch me on the flying downhill. Well, I had already mentally engraved my name on the second place race medal, and there was no way in hell I was going to give it back without a fight. I don't slack on downhills so he closed up on me a bit but didn't catch me, but then on the mostly flat 2.7ish miles remaining I tried to pick up the pace and race for home, and the sounds of his footsteps slowly faded off behind me. He ended up finishing in 40:04, so about 27 seconds behind. The guy  who won over-all was 40, so a masters runner - just barely, and finished in about 38:05, somewhere right in there. My own best time on this race was was 2011 when I ran it in 38:37, but I've only run it about 5 times in total, perhaps.

I almost didn't get to race today, as I had a painful ITB flare-up Friday afternoon while sitting at my desk at work, and it ached all evening and all through the  night.. This has happened several times now in the past month, and I can only guess that it  was caused by running some fast laps on the indoors track Friday morning. I think my legs are done with running those very tight curves on the indoor track at full speed. Anyway, I took an aspirin at work and then agaiin at bedtime, and put a heating pad on the ITB for a while before I sent to sleep, and after it ached all nihgt long it started to ease up in the wee hours of the morning. I went outside this morning just after sunrise and ran around the block in my running shorts to check it out, and I think  the 37 degree air actually made it feel better . So, the race was on. 

Retired &  Loving It

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Did a little better than I thought I could. 28:27. Legs felt pretty good. It was my lungs that were the limiting factor. There was a pretty long flight of stairs right at the end. I was able to pass several people on the way up, but by the time I got to the top I had no kick and lost one of the spots I had gained. Fun race and I plan to try and do all of the races in the series.

I'm in no shape to race, but why should I let that stop me? I've never run a 5K trail race in under 30 minutes, so that seems like a good goal.

Date Who Race Name Location Distance Goal Result
          3/15 WhoDatRunner DINO Trail Series Anderson, IN 5K <30:00  

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

3/15     TeaOlive        RnR USA  Marathon     Washington, DC       26.2       <4:00

Not even close.  4:22:22  slower even than my first Monkey.

Second AG which is sad for women of my age group.

I was just never able to get into training mode for this race.

A bit past mile 12 I tripped on a mounded man hole cover.  Landed on

my forehead above my right eye.  Split open a bit.  Since it didn't hurt much

and I felt okay, I continued on.  After the race and a trip to the beer garden,

while waiting for my husband, I traveled to GWU and had 3 stitches under

and ten stitches on top.  Needless to say the security people at the finish

were a  bit freaked out 

steph  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe 3:06

Haven't done the math, but I think we may have been on track for this til we hit ferocious headwind about 21. My buddy had pulled away from me out of my sight by then, and apparently the headwind took all our legs out. My plan was to pick up the end, but instead I didn't recovered from the wind-driven fade. The field around me didn't move away, so they didn't either.  3:10. Happy enough to finish with that time.

Afterward, I appeared to be the gimpiest slowest limper on the boardwalk and the sand. Plus when we got into the tent, I took a while to screw up my courage to fall into a sitting position. Felt like a first-timer.

Recovered later. Jogged a few slow miles tonight.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congrats - and on passing and dropping the young kid!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And congrats to WhoDatRunner as well.

Glad to hear TeaOlive was okay to get back up and keep going after the crash.

Walk-Jogger

Not even close.  4:22:22  slower even than my first Monkey.

Second AG which is sad for women of my age group.

I was just never able to get into training mode for this race.

A bit past mile 12 I tripped on a man mounded man hole cover.  Landed on

my forehead above my right eye.  Split open a bit.  Since it didn't hurt much

and I felt okay, I continued on.  After the race and a trip to the beer garden,

while waiting for my husband, I traveled to GWU and had 3 stitches under

and ten stitches on top.  Needless to say the security people at the finish

were a  bit freaked out 

OK, first off, I don't know what man-mounded means?

And secondly, you are hard core! Finishing the darn race first, AND GETTING A BEER, THEN getting medical attention and stitches!? OK maybe the beer before stitches does make a lot of sense.

Retired &  Loving It

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

OK, first off, I don't know what man-mounded means?

And secondly, you are hard core! Finishing the darn race first, AND GETTING A BEER, THEN getting medical attention and stitches!? OK maybe the beer before stitches does make a lot of sense.

Haha, mounded man hole cover.  Thought that I might as well get a

beer while waiting for  my husband.

steph  

Walk-Jogger

Did a little better than I thought I could. 28:27. Legs felt pretty good. It was my lungs that were the limiting factor. There was a pretty long flight of stairs right at the end. I was able to pass several people on the way up, but by the time I got to the top I had no kick and lost one of the spots I had gained. Fun race and I plan to try and do all of the races in the series.

Congrats, any run you do better that you thought you could is an excellent run. And who are these people that put flights of stairs in a road race!? I had a flight of metal steps to go down in my race too, and I have to WALK down them and hold the handrail because with my bifocal glasses, I can't see my feet and the steps clearly enough to jump or run down them.

Retired &  Loving It

Walk-Jogger

Haven't done the math, but I think we may have been on track for this til we hit ferocious headwind about 21. My buddy had pulled away from me out of my sight by then, and apparently the headwind took all our legs out. My plan was to pick up the end, but instead I didn't recovered from the wind-driven fade. The field around me didn't move away, so they didn't either.  3:10. Happy enough to finish with that time.

Afterward, I appeared to be the gimpiest slowest limper on the boardwalk and the sand. Plus when we got into the tent, I took a while to screw up my courage to fall into a sitting position. Felt like a first-timer.

Recovered later. Jogged a few slow miles tonight.

3:10 sounds very respectable to me give the weather that most of us have had to deal with and train through all winter. Good job, I say.

Retired &  Loving It

Walk-Jogger

Took a pasting this morning.  I knew it wasn't going to be a PR day as my legs were feeling sore on the way there from some Renato Canova inspired hill sprints I did on Thursday night.  16:47 and 8th overall.  The lungs were fine but the legs were shot.

I also got geezered by a very good v50.  No matter.  It was a good run out a week before the half I've been building up to next Sunday....

From where I stand, 16:47 is a very impressive 5k time, and would win most of our local 5ks. Sorry you didn't get your PR, but given the prior hill sprints, I'd say you did a great job just the same. The PR is out there waiting, you just need it to all come together on one good race and it will happen for you.

Retired &  Loving It

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations,Cecil!  Very nice!

steph  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congrats, Whodat!  It is always a great feeling to pass people!

steph