3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March 2014 Racing Thread (Read 41 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Haven't done the math, but I think we may have been on track for this til we hit ferocious headwind about 21. My buddy had pulled away from me out of my sight by then, and apparently the headwind took all our legs out. My plan was to pick up the end, but instead I didn't recovered from the wind-driven fade. The field around me didn't move away, so they didn't either.  3:10. Happy enough to finish with that time.

Afterward, I appeared to be the gimpiest slowest limper on the boardwalk and the sand. Plus when we got into the tent, I took a while to screw up my courage to fall into a sitting position. Felt like a first-timer.

Recovered later. Jogged a few slow miles tonight.

Sorry you had to fight the high winds, AP.  They were awful up there this week!

Luckily they weren't so bad in DC on Sat.

steph  

Congrats, Cecil amd WhoDat! And the "never mind the blood, where's the beer?" honorable mention to Steph.

AP, I was up in York PA this weekend, and if you were anywhere near that part of the country that south wind was no joke. I thought it was going to stop me cold a few times on the outbound leg of my run. (Still better than another day on the treadmill.)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Still not in any shape to race, but I'll do it again anyway.

Date Who Race Name Location Distance Goal Result
        3/22 WhoDatRunner Tomahawk 8K Trail Run Danville, IN 8K <46:00  

That should be a slightly more aggressive goal than last time.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

What the hell.  Time to start racing my fat ass into shape:

3/22  spaniel  Tomahawk 8K Train Run   Danville, IN   29:00

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Solid 1:18:21, good for 2OA.  Was running a fine line pushing and holding off a calf cramp the last five miles

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
            C-R

Solid 1:18:21, good for 2OA.  Was running a fine line pushing and holding off a calf cramp the last five miles

Sweet Kevin. You should be in good position for a nice Boston.

I had those same calf issues at mile 11 but said eff it and pushed harder. Managed a 1:29:49 for 35th OA and 3rd AG.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Very tough course and I just ran out of steam. 50:37

Still not in any shape to race, but I'll do it again anyway.

Date Who Race Name Location Distance Goal Result
                3/22 WhoDatRunner Tomahawk 8K Trail Run Danville, IN 8K <46:00  

That should be a slightly more aggressive goal than last time.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

What the hell.  Time to start racing my fat ass into shape:

3/22  spaniel  Tomahawk 8K Train Run   Danville, IN   29:00

Damn.  That was the toughest course I have run in recent memory.  Easily added 3 minutes.  4OA, 33:09, days like today I miss being in shape.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

kevin and C-R, Congratulations on your times and AG awards.

WhoDat and Spaniel, sorry about the tuff course.

steph  

Damn.  That was the toughest course I have run in recent memory.  Easily added 3 minutes.  4OA, 33:09, days like today I miss being in shape.

Trail run this time of the year?  Was it nice and sloppy?  I'm sure you and WhoDat are already in post-race celebration mode.

Congrats on the new PR too. Great running today and it's a good indicator of what's to come in a few weeks!

Feeling the growl again

Trail run this time of the year?  Was it nice and sloppy?  I'm sure you and WhoDat are already in post-race celebration mode.

The conditions were actually pretty decent.  Ground was spongy but no real mud.  Some sand.  A few very steep hills, one so steep that it was all I could do to run-lung up from one erosion step to the next.  A couple very technical descents with turns that required slowing to a near-stop to navigate safely.  I kept on my trainers but in retrospect I wish I'd put on the flats, I think it would have been ok.

While it was a tough course and I am fat I really don't think it was 8000m.  I would bet it was long.  I never trust a loop course that uses a common start/finish line.  Smile  But in this case who cares, I was out there to push it and get a nice hard run in and that mission was accomplished.  It was a lot of fun.

Nice runs there, Kevin and C-R.  C-R, was your calf sore from someone whacking you with a stick in the first half mile?

Sounds like some good racing - Nice half Kevin!

I had those same calf issues at mile 11 but said eff it and pushed harder. Managed a 1:29:49 for 35th OA and 3rd AG.

Nice race. I need to push my calf around a little more.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              C-R

Nice runs there, Kevin and C-R.  C-R, was your calf sore from someone whacking you with a stick in the first half mile?

Nope but you can bet I was looking for the dude. I think he skipped town for good.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/