3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March 2014 Racing Thread (Read 41 times)

C-R

Nice race. I need to push my calf around a little more.

I use one of them hobby jogger strollers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Nice racing Kevin and C-R.

I figure since Spaniel missed his goal by 4 minutes, and he's twice as fast as me, and I only missed my goal by 4 1/2 minutes, that's practically a PR. Right?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

I figure since Spaniel missed his goal by 4 minutes, and he's twice as fast as me, and I only missed my goal by 4 1/2 minutes, that's practically a PR. Right?

So God is love, Love is Blind, Ray Charles is blind => Ray Charles is God?

I like your logic.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Well on a really positive side today my wife ran a stunning 1:28:53, personally I had a great race until the marshall's decided not to bother pointing me in the right direction as I was in 4th and I ended up running 14.75 miles.  4th ended up running 1:15:08 and I was a good 20-30 second in front of them before I got stuffed over, but hey ho, shit happens...!

kcam

Well on a really positive side today my wife ran a stunning 1:28:53, personally I had a great race until the marshall's decided not to bother pointing me in the right direction as I was in 4th and I ended up running 14.75 miles.  4th ended up running 1:15:08 and I was a good 20-30 second in front of them before I got stuffed over, but hey ho, shit happens...!

I didn't know your wife ran ...1:28:53, congratulations to her!  Why didn't she come with us on that SF long run we did?  You got lost cuz you were one of the lead runners?  Oh the travails of the 'whippets' up front!  Get it next time.

Man, seems like everyone's laying down some good spring races.  Keep it up fellas!

Walk-Jogger

Wow, I REALLY hate it when that happens!  I came in "first" in a half once because the course marshals were sitting in their car at a crucial turn and missed the first two runners . I corrected the error at the finish, but it really pisses me off when you run such a good run and it gets messed up by someone else. Congrats to your wife too! And nice running this weekend, every one else.

Retired &  Loving It

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Well on a really positive side today my wife ran a stunning 1:28:53, personally I had a great race until the marshall's decided not to bother pointing me in the right direction as I was in 4th and I ends d up running 14.75 miles.  4th ended up running 1:15:08 and I was a good 20-30 second in front of them before I got stuffed over, but hey ho, shit happens...!

Congratulations to your wife and sorry the course marshalls were idiots!

steph  

I didn't know your wife ran ...1:28:53, congratulations to her!  Why didn't she come with us on that SF long run we did?  You got lost cuz you were one of the lead runners?  Oh the travails of the 'whippets' up front!  Get it next time.

Man, seems like everyone's laying down some good spring races.  Keep it up fellas!

She does and she is flying at the moment!  I seem to remember she didn't fancy the 6am wake up time for SF - next time maybe!!

I got lost because I was supposed to be marshaled into a left turn off the main race loop but they obviously switched off after 3rd went through a couple of minutes earlier and myself and 5th went through and they didn't signal for us to filter off.  I was running in the middle of the road at that point as well to make it really obvious but we were flying through back markers at that point.  I knew I had probably overshot within a couple of minutes but I didn't want to risk turning round just in case I was wrong.  So I just kept forest gumping until past 13.1 and then jogged back for about 3/4 of a mile until I came back into the filter.  Then I put a little kick back in for the last half mile or so as I was around people moving at a decent pace.

So ran 14.74 miles in 1:26:23 with a 3/4 mile jog included!

C-R

Nice racing for Mrs. Roth and sorry about the bad marshalling Roth.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So how do you hold off a cramp whilst racing?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Wow. Mr. and Mrs. Roth live life in the fast lane! Congratulations.

MTA: Kevin, wow. Congrats, that's awesome.

So how do you hold off a cramp whilst racing?

I would feel it starting, and do one of those little leap/hitch strides where you kind of try and catch it before a full seize, and then slow down slightly, and then when I felt danger had abated, try and push again - repeat endlessly. From the guy behind me's perspective: "I kept thinking I was going to catch you, and then you'd zip away, and then come back again - it was maddening"

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                          C-R

I would feel it starting, and do one of those little leap/hitch strides where you kind of try and catch it before a full seize, and then slow down slightly, and then when I felt danger had abated, try and push again - repeat endlessly. From the guy behind me's perspective: "I kept thinking I was going to catch you, and then you'd zip away, and then come back again - it was maddening"

Well that would be how a normal person would approach it.

Thankfully I only had a mile to go and I just bit my lip and ran harder. Seemed to work but hell even a stopped watch is correct twice a day. So there's that.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Huh; thanks. Guess I've never had it when actually running, so don't really know the feeling. I've felt one coming on when I was walking around after my last marathon, at which point I just sat down. Not as good a technique for a race, I imagine.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

3/29 - spaniel - Blame Spaniel 5K - Lizton, IN - sub-17:30

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills