3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Text exchange with the wife (Read 494 times)

L Train

I just want to be paced by WG.

MTA:  That was not part of the prepreselling.

C-R

I just want to be paced by WG.

Careful what you ask for. Last time I ran an ultra with WG she paced so fast I had to run a last mile in under 9 just to catch up.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

You guys are both wrong. Not no does not mean yes. It means "I'm not gonna stand in your way of this, but i'm going to make you feel guilty about it and make sure I deep sigh every time it's brought up." Basically, it means "I'm going to make this as tough as possible for you, but you do what you want."

Just sayin, you know...as a woman.

Thats my experience anyway

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Purdey

Self anointed title

Thoughts for Andy: 1) you are insane 2) they have lots of elk up there, I nearly hit one in my rental 3) AltoLab is a LOT cheaper than a tent 4) I had no problems up Hope, and was dealing with the climb better than guys who live at altitude in Co. So I think the tent works. I was sleeping @ 13,000. 5) Mrs Purdey has reaffirmed that this was a once in a lifetime thing 6) She did say that the next one should be somewhere we can have a family holiday - Badwater is out (boo), but I have already planted some Mont Blanc seeds.....

Feeling the growl again

Thoughts for Andy: 1) you are insane 2) they have lots of elk up there, I nearly hit one in my rental 3) AltoLab is a LOT cheaper than a tent 4) I had no problems up Hope, and was dealing with the climb better than guys who live at altitude in Co. So I think the tent works. I was sleeping @ 13,000. 5) Mrs Purdey has reaffirmed that this was a once in a lifetime thing 6) She did say that the next one should be somewhere we can have a family holiday - Badwater is out (boo), but I have already planted some Mont Blanc seeds.....

Thanks Purdey. 

I think I'd just go all the way and rent a tent.  I looked into the AltoLab thing and it looks like it's just a rebreather you can only use for short periods at a time (ie not sleeping with it).  Not sure that would cut it and buying one looks to be about the same as renting a tent setup.  Plenty of time to think about it though.

Now that I map it, Leadville is right in prime elk country.  I've been building preference points to draw a license just north of there for two years.  Too bad the race isn't a little later, I would be able to go on a week plus elk hunt at altitude then do the race. Heh.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

obsessor

Andy - Confirmed - you are insane if you consider this. But I do recommend pacing as a way to scope it out. 2013? Hmmmm.

Feeling the growl again

Andy - Confirmed - you are insane if you consider this. But I do recommend pacing as a way to scope it out. 2013? Hmmmm.

That would be a possibility....looking for a pacer?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

obsessor

After reviewing the course, I think running it next year would be premature. No decisions have been made, but if I were to run it, I need to give myself several hurdles to overcome, first. (flat 100 miler, shorter mountain races? 100k's?) It would be an interesting nut to crack. I have never gone over 50. This is a different beast.

Feeling the growl again

After reviewing the course, I think running it next year would be premature. No decisions have been made, but if I were to run it, I need to give myself several hurdles to overcome, first. (flat 100 miler, shorter mountain races? 100k's?) It would be an interesting nut to crack. I have never gone over 50. This is a different beast.

I am thinking a flat 100 or a 24-hour and then give it a go.  Experience with either the distance, the time, or both.  I've had to do hard exertion at altitude before and climb those kinds of peaks.  I'm sure I'll have my ass handed to me regardless of the preparation so no need to over-think things.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Obsessor and Spaniel running this would be cool. I think you just need to experience something of 20 to 24hrs to understand the fuelling and endocrine difficulties. Hope Pass is ok - but it's effects are felt about 20 miles later on! Were for me anyway! Thanks again Derek - you are a legend.

Feeling the growl again

Obsessor and Spaniel running this would be cool. I think you just need to experience something of 20 to 24hrs to understand the fuelling and endocrine difficulties. Hope Pass is ok - but it's effects are felt about 20 miles later on! Were for me anyway! Thanks again Derek - you are a legend.

I can't train for shit in the summer anymore, at least for marathons, so perhaps the Cleveland 24-hr race next fall.  Take on DB mano-a-mano for the USA Team (thereby getting some experience having my ass handed to me so I'm used to it).

Then Leadville in 2013....

C-R

I can crew for Cleveland. No fickin way I could run.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Umstead 100 anyone,  just about the easiest one can find (if anyone can mention running 100 miles and easy in the same sentence). Not completely flat, and mostly on wide Bridle paths. 

Feeling the growl again

Umstead 100 anyone,  just about the easiest one can find (if anyone can mention running 100 miles and easy in the same sentence). Not completely flat, and mostly on wide Bridle paths. 

I thought of that, but if I am in shape I would rather run a fast marathon in the spring...and those dates are awfully close to a major work trip (perhaps same weekend I'd have to check)...and I'll have a 2-mo-old....

C-R

I thought of that, but if I am in shape I would rather run a fast marathon in the spring...and those dates are awfully close to a major work trip (perhaps same weekend I'd have to check)...and I'll have a 2-mo-old....

and this, if I recall correctly Umstead sold out in less than 10 minutes. Tough to plan for that.