3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

50-miler racing (Read 833 times)

DoppleBock

I like the sloshing noise it makes me think about drinking a nice martini post pace - Shaken - not stirred.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't need help to get me thinking about a drink after a run. I don't need to run 4 hours to get to that either. I start fantasizing about anything cold and sweet to drink before 2 hours, usually.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kalsarikännit

PS - Don't get chicked

Roll eyes

Boys are dumb.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

A little bird tells me that the 5:35 was the fastest 50-miler run in the US last year...seriously fast course I guess.

I think I'll go with the handhelds, quicker to refill at stops if I need it.  For a more remote/technical run I would probably lean towards the pack.

What does everyone do to carry gels etc?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I have my first ever 50 miler coming up, and reading this thread the thought occurs to me that a good goal for me might be 150% of Spaniel's time for his 50. And even that might be (probably is) too aggressive. Heh. I'ma gonna die.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Hawt and sexy

What does everyone do to carry gels etc?

Carry as little as possible. This is what drop bags are for, but I use a running belt that holds a water bottle and has pockets for my gummy bears, smarties and salt pills. But, I'm not speedy. If all else fails for you speedy guys, there are baggies and safety pins. Train doing this so you know the spot where it doesn't bounce and chafe the living hell out of you.

One of these days I need to do 50k, 50 mile, etc. You know, work up to that 100 mile mark. I keep trying to do 100 miles like an idiot.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Carry as little as possible. This is what drop bags are for, but I use a running belt that holds a water bottle and has pockets for my gummy bears, smarties and salt pills. But, I'm not speedy. If all else fails for you speedy guys, there are baggies and safety pins. Train doing this so you know the spot where it doesn't bounce and chafe the living hell out of you.

One of these days I need to do 50k, 50 mile, etc. You know, work up to that 100 mile mark. I keep trying to do 100 miles like an idiot.

I get one drop bag, at 25 miles.  I'm hoping maybe I can get some crewing at one station in between, both ways.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

obsessor

I say 7 min pace until you bust. From thence, 7:20. "go for it." No matter what, it's gonna suck. You are gonna want to walk. The legs will hurt. So hurry it up and get it over with.

Feeling the growl again

I say 7 min pace until you bust. From thence, 7:20. "go for it." No matter what, it's gonna suck. You are gonna want to walk. The legs will hurt. So hurry it up and get it over with.

I like the way you think. I registered just now... Crikey... You people are a terrible influence.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm  registered for my second 50 this fall. I won't make it as fast as 150% of a 7min pace, of that I'm quite sure. But I'm in it to finish again, so no worries.

I don't carry any food with me for anything. (That's not so much philosophical, as because my brain can just barely handle remembering to bring water.). But I did this same one last year and there was plenty of food at the aid stations, so I don't think it's a risk for me.

Feeling the growl again

What does everyone think the this for ultra fueling at seven minute pace... http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NTN148/. Sorry iPad won't do links easy... After thinking about it I can't stand the idea of handhelds for a race, I can't even stand sunglasses in a race. I'm a bit concerned about what it would Weigh when full but it has to be better tha n carrying it.

obsessor

Start running with a water bottle. So, you are saying aid stations at "12.5", "25", "37.5" and end? One bottle seems pretty minimal to me. The faster the pace, the less ability you will have to choke down much more than water, sugar, and salts. Under 8 hours, you can survive on that. Over 4 hours, you will "want" something more, but "need" is debatable.

I'd take whatever food looks good at the aid stations, and if you vomit, so what. Pound about 20 oz. of water at each stop, and carry the same in between (or sports drink.) That's my take. Mike may be more scientific about it.

I like the cheapest plastic water bottles I can find. You can crush them as you drink, to avoid the slosh. I hate the slosh. When 100 degree days are a staple, you learn to love your water bottle.

obsessor

This picture, which I discovered on the interlinks, best approximates my water bottle technique, including the type of "handheld" I use.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_377/1237782329V7k5dS.jpg

Ostrich runner

I'm not a huge fan of handhelds, but I will carry one occasionally if I'm not wearing a shirt. At Howl I didn't carry anything but a couple gels in my pockets, but we had an aid station every 1.5 and a canopy set up. I did have a camelback full of Pedialite at the canopy in case I found myself dehydrated and wanted to carry it for one slow lap to catch up.

I under fueled in my first several longer races. I knew that I could race 13.1 with little to no fuel or water, so I figured having a gel or two and 20 oz or so during a marathon would be sufficient for me. It wasn't anywhere close, but I'm also out there much longer than some of you. That, and all of my longer races have been on trails.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe experiment if possible.

DW hates carrying things and hates belts. Recently she got a water belt as an experiment, and wore it on a long run a couple days ago. Was talking about going back to dump it within half a mile. Several miles later she quit noticing or caring about it, and said it didn't bother her anymore. I was surprised by the adaptation.