3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

December Mileage Throw-Down (Read 1970 times)

Feeling the growl again

Said the pot:

So, spaniel, are you sleeping better (in terms of pelvis & hips & legs soreness, not baby-anticipation)? And do you feel acclimated to running a shitload of miles now?

The pelvis thing is better, I feel it about 50% of nights.  Rarely keeps me up anymore, though it may wake me up a bit earlier than I otherwise would in the morning.  I haven't whined about it but I've also gotten sick the past week, last night I was up 1am-4am with coughing fits.  That was more impactful.  

As for acclimation...it's obvious my average pace has slowed quite a bit.  The mileage I was running was ok for a couple weeks, but with no real recovery period it's not sustainable at that pace.  So I've slowed down a gear on many (not all) runs just to get the volume in.  Triples...yeah...mileage whore, not done for training purposes.

IMHO 400 miles was about right for the month in terms of maximizing base benefit against the negatives...everything over that...good for bet, can't say for sure on training benefit.  Assuming I can get decent workouts in Jan/Feb we'll see what the result is then.

I can say that I am recovering quicker than I used to, just not quick enough for the kind of stupid crap I have been doing.  I do not have much of anything in the way of leg/muscle soreness, shockingly.  The pelvis issue...a right hip issue this week that is probably a result of increased volume on the left side of steeply crowned roads...now some small knee stuff likely resulting form the fact that I am well over 700 miles on both pairs of shoes I am using.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Only two (pairs of) shoes? I'd think you are up to a higher level of needed shoe rotation right now Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Only two (pairs of) shoes? I'd think you are up to a higher level of needed shoe rotation right now Smile

One for the treadmill, one for the roads.  I had been rotating two for the roads as usual but one pair wore out prior to this stupidity beginning and, being cheap, I did not replace them promptly.  I need to track deals better and plan ahead, I finally ordered replacements last night and no good deals were evident.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Only 3 days left. Is it time to kick yet C-R?

This month has been a great experience. I never would have thought that I could put in this kind of mileage yet, but after watching what everyone else was doing I knew I had to step it up. Thanks to everyone here for inspiring great levels of insanity. Half the group here has either already hit their goal or will easily hit it in the next day or two.

In the spirit of the Mileage Throw-Down insanity I don't think it's quite right to have days left to run and no goal to reach, so I'm upping my December goal to 250 miles. That'll be a stretch, but it's no fun if it's easy.

C'mon....you know you want to. Wink

AP, you too.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

Hey ra. We are within striking distance. 2 days and the games still going.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Hey ra. We are within striking distance. 2 days and the games still going.

Curb your enthusiasm, chief.  Good timing going for it on the morning I decide to lighten up and take some family time.  No worries, I'm logging miles now.  

I knew better than to expect you guys to give up even when you're behind.

C-R

I knew better than to expect you guys to give up even when you're behind.

Son of a....

Well quit isn't in my vocabulary. 2 days.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Feeling the growl again

Son of a....

Well quit isn't in my vocabulary. 2 days.

Oh, BTW, as I told my wife my plans to close this out after I saw your run logged today she got "that look" and said you should be buying HER a present when this is over.  You're lucky she doesn't hold grudges.  Wink 

Apparently "you guys (ie all 3 of us) are taking this too far."  Personally I thought that happened long before today.

Feeling the growl again

Day 28 results are up:

-Most people have reached their goals with a few days to spare; a few others are taking it to the line.

-pfetro and Hoppity are neck-and-neck

-kmark continues a small lead over L Train

-I gained a single mile on C-R/rabutler as the end-of-day lead swung all the way from 33 to 16 miles.  They are making a hard run today as well so it's not over for a few more days.

The month has so lived up to its potential.

C-R

Oh, BTW, as I told my wife my plans to close this out after I saw your run logged today she got "that look" and said you should be buying HER a present when this is over.  You're lucky she doesn't hold grudges.  Wink 

Apparently "you guys (ie all 3 of us) are taking this too far."  Personally I thought that happened long before today.

That is exactly what I was told by my wife as I returned from my run so we will be getting something nice for her as a peace offering and in a weak attempt to keep those grudges at bay.

I was told we were a "few fries short of a happy meal" during week one.

pfetro is sly....well okay, maybe not.  However my wrong-side-of-the-ocean-ness means I log my runs in time for the mileage to be topped.  Ah well, it's all good still.  Congrats pfetro on another win Wink

It's awesome to see MrPH hitting the 200.  A really good end to the year.

Thanks for the well done AP.

Spaniel, yeah, okay December was idiocy, but more so for others than for me.  At least all I did was change from 200 to 226 and run when not feeling too well.  Unlike you I whine about illness though, I hope you're beginning to feel better.  I also hope the pelvis reduces to <50% of nights.  Looking forward to what Jan/Feb brings for you in terms of miles, workouts and of course new arrivals and their progress.

ra...way to push it right up to the line, and yet another nice pick up, both for you but also (by default) for Spaniel (it's like a very painful and compelling track race at the moment, but one that keeps bloody going and one where I can't decide who I want to win)...have you all picked presents for your partners? 

I've not pushed the grudge-running boundaries with my husband yet, I'm saving that for another month I think..like February when I want to ruin my Birthday weekend by running 30 miles in one go on one of the days.  Heh.  I need to get him running again though 'cos it's going to be a lonely morning if he isn't going to join me for any of it (and I don't know any other runners to come run it with me here). 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Another 10 in the books, original goal passed, 15.3 on tap for tomorrow, right on schedule. Probably 50 miles more than I would've done this month, which can only be a good thing. 

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Nice one Greg.  You and pfetro have definitely pushed me to hit more miles this month too (200 seemed unlikely this time 1 month ago).  You're definitely ending on a high with that push for the 2400...I'm intrigued as to whether you do stop there or whether you end up running past that line.  I hope you're feeling nice and strong for all your 2012 plans...your log certainly suggests things are nicely on track for things...and I am fairly sure that any stupidity in December 2012 will have you in a league way ahead of me, so it's been nice playing ball while I could.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Prince of Fatness

It's official now.  First 200 mile month since April 2010.  WTF?  No work tomorrow so I have 2 days to rub some salt into the wounds.  I think that I will do that.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000somethings/Stats?r=1&e=11&s=1&d=1

Not at it at all. 

Oh believe me, I'm OCDish enough that 2400.1 would just annoy the fuck out of me. And thanks. Big grin

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.