3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

December Mileage Throw-Down (Read 1970 times)

GREAT Job Sarah!! Very impressive considering you were sick earlier in the month!

MTA: and to think you weren't sure you would get to 226. You've surpassed that very nicely!

Thanks Pam. 200 even seemed unlikely when this all started, so it's good to have managed a bit more than that.  The intro to doubles has been interesting, and something I wouldn't have tried were it not for the throwdown.  In some ways being sick was a way to kick me into action, I knew I was going to have to work for it, so perhaps it stopped me sitting back too much and sticking with the usual routine...ie bring in doubles and mix things around in terms of what I run and when.  I was worried I'd have to run everything as recovery pace, and although I've done very few faster miles (but only thrown into the end or middle of a normal run).  I'm pleased that a number of runs have been in the mid to low 8's.  Not much variety and no workouts, but then, looking back on my year, that's often been the case...I'm not very good at actually training.

I think the same goes to you with regard to surpassing goals...but you didn't just surpass you absolutely crushed!

Not sure that I'll be able to achieve this with all that's going on this month, however I may as well give it a shot. Not that I really need to do that much this month however it will be a good start for my 50 mile training.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Eh??  I don't recall putting up any beer against you.  Though I'm sure I'll buy you a round (or two) whenever I can make up a reason to have the company send me to central NJ.  Good job on blowing the goal out of the water though.  I think weight loss will be a priority for me for the first few weeks of the new year as well.

I've got the scalps of the two local boys to pin up on my wall.  The baby, however, may have other ideas.  Went to the doc today and while they did not send us to the hospital they did try to convince us to stay in the office for a few hours to see what happened.  I'm off to the treadmill soon, as any miles I get in may be my last for the year.

Good luck with everything Spaniel (and Mrs Spaniel plus all little spaniels)!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Thanks Pam. 200 even seemed unlikely when this all started, so it's good to have managed a bit more than that.  The intro to doubles has been interesting, and something I wouldn't have tried were it not for the throwdown.  In some ways being sick was a way to kick me into action, I knew I was going to have to work for it, so perhaps it stopped me sitting back too much and sticking with the usual routine...ie bring in doubles and mix things around in terms of what I run and when.  I was worried I'd have to run everything as recovery pace, and although I've done very few faster miles (but only thrown into the end or middle of a normal run).  I'm pleased that a number of runs have been in the mid to low 8's.  Not much variety and no workouts, but then, looking back on my year, that's often been the case...I'm not very good at actually training.

I think the same goes to you with regard to surpassing goals...but you didn't just surpass you absolutely crushed!

It's amazing at how much we can do in the end despite how difficult the task of running less seemed to be at the beginning. Had it not been for this challenge I would have NEVER even thought of doing the mileage that I've done.

BTW I'm just finally LEARNING about training and I've been running for 6 years now.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Good luck with everything Spaniel (and Mrs Spaniel plus all little spaniels)!

+1

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I've got the scalps of the two local boys to pin up on my wall.  The baby, however, may have other ideas.  Went to the doc today and while they did not send us to the hospital they did try to convince us to stay in the office for a few hours to see what happened.  I'm off to the treadmill soon, as any miles I get in may be my last for the year.

Baby spaniel may be our only hope to pull out a win. Wink

Congrats to everyone for meeting, beating, and crushing your goals.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Not for luck of trying on your part.  Dang dude.

My planned 12-miler to close out the triple got vetoed.  That'll keep it closer for you going into the last day.  But assuming no baby, the wife works and I have the in-laws to watch the kids....no plans but me and Mr. Sole...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just need a little over 10 tomorrow to make my second highest ever month. That'll help remind me to run tomorrow.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congrats Tea for hitting 300 today!

Thanks Rocken and Hoppity.   Every one has done so well.  It's been a great month all around!  

Now for tomorrow...I'd like to get my yearly total up to 2476 with tomorrow's scheduled long run.

But my left knee isn't that happy tonight so I''ll just have to see.

steph  

I just need a little over 10 tomorrow to make my second highest ever month. That'll help remind me to run tomorrow.

Cool! I have 10 miles to get my highest ever month, though I have 13 on tap

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Cool! I have 10 miles to get my highest ever month, though I have 13 on tap

(Never mind what I said - your training plan just changed, or I was seeing last week's or something...)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

(Never mind what I said - your training plan just changed, or I was seeing last week's or something...)

No Perry I just changed it, when I added next weeks schedule. I wasn't sure about the mid long run tomorrow until I checked my HR a little while ago. It got down to 46 which means other than sore legs tomorrow I should be good to go for a mid long run.

Feeling the growl again

I see how you guys work. Two on one isn't good enough so with under a day to go you enlist a third team member...timing is everything, apparently.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Phew.  Done.  Finished with a 10.95 miler which was made even better by my husband joining me for the first hour.  Thanks for the motivation everyone.

As an end of year summary, this is my annual mileage the last 4 years (basically since I started running).  I didn't log times much in 2009 though, and I know some runs are missing in 2008 but don't think I got much more than 350 miles in that year.

2011       2424.2 mi 352:58:02 8:45
                            2010       1422.5 mi 217:52:24 9:12
                            2009       624.6 mi    
                            2008       88.9 mi    

December the last 3 years has looked like

2011   263.8    38:08:15   8:41      (my first real 60+ mile week, first ever doubles, highest mileage month ever)

2010  178.5     27:09:51   9:08      (my first ever 40 mile week, highest mileage month to date)

2009   22.8                                    (my first walk/runs back after 4 months off, 6 weeks in a cast, and generally having a messed foot/cankle)

MTA: posting this seems almost boastful and defintiely weird, so sorry, it wasn't meant that way.

I don't know what to do/aim for in 2012.  I don't think mileage should be the big goal, building that could be tricky with work and life commitments.  However having some goals would be good.   I suppose I should start thinking.

Prince of Fatness

Nice work Hoppity.  I am going out in about an hour or so, and will be finished with year soon.

Here is a link that will work after the month is over.  It's a custom range that includes the whole month of December.....

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000somethings/Stats?r=1&f=2011-12-01&g=2011-12-31&s=1&d=1

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I don't know what to do/aim for in 2012.  I don't think mileage should be the big goal, building that could be tricky with work and life commitments.  However having some goals would be good.   I suppose I should start thinking.

You have plenty of base, so an option now is to focus on racing.

Not at it at all.