3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2024 (Read 16 times)

C-R

New Year new goal - 1250 miles running + 1250 miles biking

Slowly getting back

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

Hey C-R.  Good luck on your goals for the year.  At this point in my 'career' I seem to have lost interest in goals.  Not very hurtlockerish of me!   I did run 1568 miles and biked 770 miles last year.  That's mostly riding one MTB ride a week.  Maybe I'll try stepping that up to match you on the bike. 

Happy New Year!

C-R

Hey C-R.  Good luck on your goals for the year.  At this point in my 'career' I seem to have lost interest in goals.  Not very hurtlockerish of me!   I did run 1568 miles and biked 770 miles last year.  That's mostly riding one MTB ride a week.  Maybe I'll try stepping that up to match you on the bike. 

Happy New Year!

That was a solid year for you K. Especially the one ride a week for 700+.

Fair warning - I cheat on the bike. Too damn cold to ride outside in the winter so I will ride the hell out of my Peleton until I can get on the roads without turning into a popsicle.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

kcam

That's not cheating!  I wouldn't go out in that cold either. 🙂

Need to get 30 mi/week, I'm at 17.  I'll be short this week. 😒

The King of Beasts

C-R - balance is good and nothing wrong with Peleton

kcam - I think I'm in approximately the same boat

Goals for the year are:  to run a race a month (5k -10k most likely), find a new or reconnect with an old running club or crew, stay healthy, lose weight, and stay off the booze.

Admittedly I was slow as Christmas but at the 2023 Monkey but I was faster than the year before and that's the first time in a long time and I'd like to do that again.  I think I should be able to get well under 6 this year, hell maybe even scare 5 hours.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

IMHO stationary bike/treadmill is harder than outdoors at least mentally which translates to perceived effort for me.   Either way getting it done is getting it done.

My year has no mileage goals.  Recovery from a full hamstring tendon tear and reattachment is my sport.  I'm now 8 months out from surgery and trying to piece together/feel out a plan for completing another hardrock 100 qualifier (Plain 100) in September.  No heroic efforts or monster workouts, just keep everything attached and build strength.

C-R

Sub 5 at Monkey. I'm in.

Good to see you posting KoB.

Feeling the growl again

I'm still barely running, I quit logging because it was depressing.  I can't find any solution for the nerve issue in my hip.  I can run 8-10 miles then I'm limping and possibly in pain for 1-3 days due to the inflamed nerve.  So I run 2 possibly 3 times a week.  My only running goal is to do some 5Ks with my 12yo son, who has taken an interest in running while waiting out his timeout from soccer due to concussions.  Little punk is pretty quick out of the gate with little training.  I think his very first 5K was like 22min (11 at that time).

Perhaps Hurtlocker-worthy I haven't let this keep me down, I found another place to set goals.  I haven't lifted weights with any seriousness in >20 years.  I started with a 160lb bench in late September and I'm up to 215lbs.  My lifetime PR is 225lbs so I'm within striking distance....but I did that at 147lbs which is no longer the case...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Damn Andy. That sounds horrible but glad you are headed down the weight lifting path.

Sounds like that apple didn't fall far from the running tree and you don't have to worry about concussions in running.

Guess HTFU in Hurtlocker terms is to find new ways to test our boundaries. Improvise - Adapt - Overcome.