3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2020's in the books (Read 31 times)

DoppleBock

Purdey - My oldest is planning on Studying abroud a semester next year in Liverpool ... Also a semester in Spain.  Hopefully Covid reduces enough to let her have the experience.

Both have a partnership with her college - The room and board with the host family and college tuition is about equal to what she would pay anyway.

My contribution to college is a fixed amount and she has to figure out the rest ... I like her having some financial skin in the game.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey

Self anointed title

That's pretty awesome DB. Let me know if that happens - I've got some friends with two daughters (twins aged 21/22) in Liverpool.  She may appreciate a friendly face.

Feeling the growl again

My contribution to college is a fixed amount and she has to figure out the rest ... I like her having some financial skin in the game.

IMHO you're doing it right.  Time is not quite there yet but wife and I are considering not paying anything...make them take out the loans and think through the math...even though we plan on paying off an amount when they graduate.  I just saw too many who got it paid for screw it up because they didn't feel the investment.

Running?  Oh, yeah, perennially trying to get back in that groove too.... Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

We did something similar and they went after scholarship $s. Working out so far.

Oh yeah and running is damn hard these days.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

hey guys -

We did the ole 529 plan for all three of ours and paid out from that.  The kids were pretty good about working/scholarships/loans so between that 529 savings they had plenty of money for college.  Side note - I really hate how colleges and universities have over inflated their costs.  When I went to school I was able to pay my 1/2 of a 1BR apartment AND my books & tuition at UT-Austin while working part-time and relying on my savings and $2500 my Dad gave me as a freshman.  No way anyone could do that these days with just a part-time job.  Sucks.

So, three months into retirement and I miss work  -  NOT!!!! I love the freedom of choosing when and where I get to run and to go on road trips etc.  I'm signed up for CIM so I'm starting a gradual mileage buildup with some (hopefully things open) short racing this summer. I'll be 60 at that time, we'll see what I can muster up!

Been out to NY to visit with the East Coast daughterage and grandkids, North to Davis to visit West Coast Daughter and grandkids, been down to Tucson to visit with my Dad (need to get back down there in the next few weeks to do some work on a rental condo I own in Chandler).  Have a off-road camping trip for next week up through the Black Rock Desert in Northern Nevada (where they hold Burning Man).  Group of about 7 or 8 vehicles.  It's a great trip I've done it once before absolutely beautiful up there.  Excited to go ... 5/8 - 5/14.  Livin' the dream!  Pics from the last trip out there:

C-R

Great pics and sounds like you are making the best of that retirement option.

Running is still hard.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

I hear ya CR, the running is still difficult and seemingly getting more difficult as I age.  I'm always grasping at race times I ran 7 or 8 years ago and I should just come to grips that those times aren't coming back but I'm always "Well, maybe if I can do this or I can do that in training ..".   No.  It ain't happening!  I still do enjoy the whole racing/training process.  I'm actually signed up for CIM this coming December.  What a dumbass.

Feeling the growl again

Damn, I wish I could retire.  I guess I'm in that whole mid-life thing.  I'm ready for it.  No interest in climbing the ladder anymore, just keep the paycheck coming with a minimum of BS.  If I do things right I figure I'm done around 55...12 years to go.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

Damn, I wish I could retire.  I guess I'm in that whole mid-life thing.  I'm ready for it.  No interest in climbing the ladder anymore, just keep the paycheck coming with a minimum of BS.  If I do things right I figure I'm done around 55...12 years to go.

I hear you Andy.  Unfortunately I reckon I need to hold on until around 65, maybe 70.... I've got to the point where additional responsibility isn't really something I want!