3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Dec 9 -15 Training (Read 12 times)

DoppleBock

Nice week for me ~ My achilles is still a little unhappy ... but my knee is doing better

72 miles

8,732 vertical

2 weight lifting sessions

More miles running and less walking this week.  I did a 90 minute straight run today ... happy building aerobic endurance

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

59 miles, 2300 ft vertical.  Nothing but easy runs and the vert is from hilly routes (Watch Garnin altimeter measured not RA fake data - don't get me started on this subject)   I've been dealing with some glute issues the last two weeks so have backed off on a few runs.

DB - no Ice Age 50 for me.  It sold out in 2 hours or so, and I was ironically doing volunteer trail work when my wife texted me there were 10 spots left.  With over 900 people on those trails between the 50 miler and the 50K, it might be a blessing in disguise.  I had no idea they had allowed so many runners on the trails at once.  It will either be a chain gang or a lot of damage to the trails.

DoppleBock

flatfooter

The 50k is mostly on the nordic loop ~ But I agree that when I was a more front runner it was a pain in the ass when they had 1/2 the people.

I am doing the "Fat Ass" NK50K

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=71768

Point to Point of the Northern Kettle - Ice age.

Not a race - But nice time on nice trails.

I have no plans beyond that - It will depend on how quickly I lose the fat and how I feel about Speed - Strength - Aerobic Capacity ... 5 options with % chance I will do.

1)  80% = Nothing (Most Likely)

2)  10% Marathon

3)  7% KM100

4)  2% FANS24

5) 1% "Other" ???

DoppleBock

My vertical is only up - TM right now.  But I am happy with it as it allows me to stay aerobic without running and it will help once I transition outside

59 miles, 2300 ft vertical.  Nothing but easy runs and the vert is from hilly routes (Watch Garnin altimeter measured not RA fake data - don't get me started on this subject)   I've been dealing with some glute issues the last two weeks so have backed off on a few runs.

DB - no Ice Age 50 for me.  It sold out in 2 hours or so, and I was ironically doing volunteer trail work when my wife texted me there were 10 spots left.  With over 900 people on those trails between the 50 miler and the 50K, it might be a blessing in disguise.  I had no idea they had allowed so many runners on the trails at once.  It will either be a chain gang or a lot of damage to the trails.

DB,

I've wanted to do the NK 50K but that is a long drive for a fat ass.  I'm looking at Dark Sky 50 mile in TN as an alternative to IAT 50.  Looks interesting and these days I generally prefer new and different race venues over same old, especially since everything in the midwest fills up so fast or requires signing up for a lottery months in advance, e.g. Superior.  Even Voyager 50 filled up last year.

Maybe try adding something new to your list below.  Marquette 50K/50 Miler is a cool race, not too far from you and a good mix of fun technical stuff, climbing, and flats with beautiful views of Lake Superior.  It is just good to be out there seeing the beauty and it's a good town for eats and drinks to bring the family along.  There is also wild Duluth 100K, in the late fall.  I hear that is a brutal course but again Duluth is another fun remote town with good breweries and eats after the race.  New venues will get you out of the "I ran this race before 2 hours faster" mindset that will eventually creep in when the pain sets in (at least that is what happens to me).

I take your #5 - 1% ante and add 90% ;-)  Just get out there and enjoy some  new trails and bring your family.  Make it fun!

DoppleBock

Marquette will happen someday -

Since I travel to Central PA at least once per month - I have that area open to me too.  I would just have to pay the extra days on a car and in hotels from my original stay.

https://ontherockstrailrun.webs.com/

This little county park is about 2 miles from the hotel I stay in.  Only 800 acres, but awesome trails for 800 acre park.  The only negative is park is only open from dawn to dusk, so this time of year ... I do not get ro run in when I am in town.