3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ultra talk (Read 738 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Holy mother of God Andy - what is that thing?!!

Feeling the growl again

I recently got promoted so I decided for once to abandon my cheap and practical self and do something completely useless and impractical as a reward.

That is a Saiga-12, a 12-gauge combat shotgun, which is a variant of the famous Kalashnikov AK-47design and manufactured in the same factory in Russa.  To be imported into the US, they must be manufactured as a bastardized version with no pistol grip and a sporter-style stock, which requires a linkage to move the trigger back to where you can reach it from the sporter stock:

The key is that the proper holes are still there, covered by a plate under the trigger guard, to easily convert it to the intended configuration (my prior post).  I say easy but this kept by busy, and occasionally cursing, for several evenings and drained my dremel tool battery many times over cutting and grinding things.  As manufactured they will only cycle slugs, buckshot and other stiff loads but I have modified it to run on virtually anything.

It comes from the factory with a 5-rd mag, but as you can see I already bought the US-made 20-rd drum...as well as additional 2, 5 and 8-rd mags.  I have not shot anything but the 5-rd mags yet but holy hell is it a fun gun.

While I live out in the country and have a 300-yd range I have always been cautious about rounds missing my backstops and potentially traveling so I have never gotten into rapidfire with rifles, I'm more of a focused marksman anyways.  This will allow me to have similar amounts of retarded fun with no concern for over-travel by the projectiles.

I plan to take a video when I have time to do a 5-6 second dump of the 20-rd mag into a forest of soda bottles.  I have a quad rail forend arriving this week to finish putting it into the final configuration.  While intended to be completely impractical, it is excellent for hunting turkeys and coyotes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

And here I was thinking it was some kind of Kitchen utensil,  trying to figure out its purpose.

Feeling the growl again

And here I was thinking it was some kind of Kitchen utensil,  trying to figure out its purpose.

It serves as one hell of a can opener.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Purdey

Self anointed title

If you are using can as an Americanism for toilet.... yes... it would have quite an effect on a toilet.

obsessor

It serves as one hell of a can opener.

Uhhh, warm bottled american beer, shook up, chucked, and 'sploded?

Feeling the growl again

Uhhh, warm bottled american beer, shook up, chucked, and 'sploded?

I was actually DRINKING the warm, CANNED American beer to keep me sane while I was working on the fucker last night trying to get the new quad rail installed and lined up.  Four hours later all is well and it's completely tacticool now....in addition to being up from 8.6 to 10.6 lbs.

Ostrich runner

Eagle Creek would be a nicer and more lush place after an hour of that thing mounted on the back of an ATV.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Eagle Creek would be a nicer and more lush place after an hour of that thing mounted on the back of an ATV.

Ugh yeah, way too many tame deer.  Ask C-R about how they react when I try to tackle them.  They need some good ole' predation to keep them sharp.

MTA:  If you have ever watched "Sons of Guns" on Discovery/History or wherever it is, they did do an episode where they mounted one of these to an ATV and took a handicapped veteran hog hunting.

Ostrich runner

A family friend got attacked by a deer in Southern IN a couple years ago. Since then, I've been more careful. Still, I have to think that Eagle Creek deer would be some of the most tender venison around. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

A family friend got attacked by a deer in Southern IN a couple years ago. Since then, I've been more careful. Still, I have to think that Eagle Creek deer would be some of the most tender venison around. 

Doubt it actually....too much roughage and too high of a population....cornfed does are the way to go.

Have fun in Gnawbone.  Tackle a deer if you see one.  That's pretty close to where I hunt them.

obsessor

this needs a bump. And a check in from m.h, mr. a-1, AND the man who calls $s £s, if that translates.

The King of Beasts

I am still here, running is going okay. Hitting some good general workouts, 10 mile tempo/hard, some decent time on the track and a steady longish most weeks.

going to start with the 100 mile specific stuff in a few weeks. I hope to get in 12 specific days: with hopefully 6 runs in the 30-40 mile range and hopefully another 6 days of triples in the 30-40 range (hopefully with a quality hill or fartleck). {the best laid plans of mice and men}

I would like to continue with the strides and drills a few times a week, and keep the volume at about 120 - 135 

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

We're about to go out and cheer Scovills girlfriend Allie on at Fans 12 hr here in a little while... she's been running since 8am. Not sure how she's doing but damn, it's hot outside.

I am still here, running is going okay. Hitting some good general workouts, 10 mile tempo/hard, some decent time on the track and a steady longish most weeks.

going to start with the 100 mile specific stuff in a few weeks. I hope to get in 12 specific days: with hopefully 6 runs in the 30-40 mile range and hopefully another 6 days of triples in the 30-40 range (hopefully with a quality hill or fartleck). {the best laid plans of mice and men}

I would like to continue with the strides and drills a few times a week, and keep the volume at about 120 - 135 

See that's interesting. Not workouts per week or what have you. Basically, 12 days over the course of the entire cycle where you're specifically going for something.  The rest is just running to get the miles in a range (i.e., 120-135 per week).

Something to think about.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus