3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May 2013 Racing Thread (Read 68 times)

Feeling the growl again

As for me, I ran a 4:29:50 at my 50K this past weekend, which was about 15 minutes better than my goal and a PR at the distance by an hour. 

Very nice work!!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

5/18 Cecil58  -  Run for the Hill of It  -  Lewiston, ID  -  Win --> Result = 1:00:39, 4th OA, 2nd AG

5/18 Ileneforward - Magic Shoe 5k - 25    28 --> Result = 27:26

5/18 kercando140 - Ironman Texas, The Woodlands, TX - < 12 hour --> Result = 11:53:30

5/18 rgilbert - Playin' Possum 50K - Delaware, OH - 4:45 or better --> Result = 4:29:50

Nice running this weekend!  Not sure what else to say other than Wow! and Congratulations!

Spaniel, it's probably a good thing you didn't run Rockford with how warm and humid it was.  That would not have been fun.

kcam

5/18 Cecil58  -  Run for the Hill of It  -  Lewiston, ID  -  Win --> Result = 1:00:39, 4th OA, 2nd AG

5/18 kercando140 - Ironman Texas, The Woodlands, TX - < 12 hour --> Result = 11:53:30

5/18 rgilbert - Playin' Possum 50K - Delaware, OH - 4:45 or better --> Result = 4:29:50

Nice running this weekend!  Not sure what else to say other than Wow! and Congratulations!

Spaniel, it's probably a good thing you didn't run Rockford with how warm and humid it was.  That would not have been fun.

May 18th was a good day!  Congrats everyone.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

That's some pretty kick ass results. Nicely done!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

DNS

Work interfered. I'm typing this from work now and will probably be here all night.

Boooo. But it was humid so maybe it worked out.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R

Heh. A W is a W.

18:23 for that "5K".  Heh.  First place by >2 minutes I think.

It's always a red flag when it is a loop course, they use a single start/finish line, and claim 2-decimal point accuracy.  Then, when the guy who ended up 2nd asked about mile markers, he was told that if he wanted them he could bring his wheel out and "measure the course next year".

Well, I can't be too surprised with a small charity event.

I pushed well through the first of the two loops.  Solidly sub-17 pace, so when it took 9:00 I cut'er back and went through the motions.  It was humid as anything.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

C-R

Late to the party due to travel soccer this weekend but those are some great results.

+4

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Wow. Congrats all around! You maniacs are really an inspiration.

5/26- Greg C- Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival 50 Miler- Goal TBD but I'll say <10:00 for now. Hopefully that's a massive sandbag.

Okay, revising this to <8:45. Still not sure if that's sandbagging or overreaching. On a flat course I'd know, but this ain't that. We'll see soon enough.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Feeling the growl again

Okay, revising this to <8:45. Still not sure if that's sandbagging or overreaching. On a flat course I'd know, but this ain't that. We'll see soon enough.

That is a respectable change for sure.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

+1.  Setting time goals for trail races is a fickle thing--good luck out there.

That is a respectable change for sure.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

kcam

Nope -- 49:57. I think I'm feeling the effects of racing six weeks in a row, plus the hamstring was a bit of an issue. I did think I was in better shape than last year, though. Hayes St. Hill just destroyed me. I pretty much gave up after that, and struggled to run near MP for the middle miles. Still had fun. Smile

I missed commenting on this one, Bob - and I refuse to comment on your B2B pic you posted in the general forums other than to say I'm gonna pretend I never saw it, LOL!

Great effort considering all the racing you've done lately.  If you ever decide to run one or two marathons a year and start some 5K/10K etc racing & training I think you'd be knocking it out of the park.  Your marathon PR would drop significantly, I believe.  You have this massive, years-long base to work from then layer on some speed - whew it would be amazing.  Of course you know all that - we all get our satisfaction from this hobby in different ways, I think.

You must have started from the seeded or sub-seeded corral?

bhearn

If you ever decide to run one or two marathons a year and start some 5K/10K etc racing & training I think you'd be knocking it out of the park.  Your marathon PR would drop significantly, I believe.  You have this massive, years-long base to work from then layer on some speed - whew it would be amazing.

Well, I'm not so sure I'm doing anything wrong. My top running goal is still improving my marathon time, though I am juggling that now with loving 100s. I only run one or two goal marathons a year, and when I am training for them, everything else takes a back seat. Yes, I just ran six races in six weeks, but Boston was the goal race, and it came first. Everything else is just for fun. Well, Bay to Breakers was a bit of a goal race; I really wanted to beat last year's time. Two weeks ago I ran the Tacoma marathon as an easy long run, and last week raced a 5K; I didn't think either would hurt too much. I think it's mostly the lack of speedwork lately.

I do typically take my medicine and race e.g. a 10K and a half as marathon tune-up races. I didn't for this Boston cycle because my hamstring kept me from doing any speedwork, and I didn't want to push it. I'm still trying to figure out what happened with Boston. I literally gave up on training halfway through, said screw it, and ran for run -- I ran a 12-hour race three weeks out I certainly wouldn't have done. But then on race day I felt good, conditions were great, and my weight was down, so I went for it anyway, and managed a small PR.

I have felt like I was on the verge of breaking through to the next level -- since 2009! Something always gets in the way. I think if I could knock out a completely solid marathon training cycle for once, with no injuries, and finally get my weight below 160, then yes, I would easily get under 2:55, maybe better.

I missed commenting on this one, Bob - and I refuse to comment on your B2B pic you posted in the general forums other than to say I'm gonna pretend I never saw it, LOL!

You must have started from the seeded or sub-seeded corral?

Yep, started in the seeded corral. Perks of masters sub-3.

You know, honestly I just don't get all the "can't unsee that" reaction. Really, that bad?? It's not like we runners are a modest lot anyway. At Bay to Breakers pretty much anything goes, and I can recommend running like this wholeheartedly to anyone. It's very liberating and a total blast, and in this context perfectly socially acceptable. Maybe I'm weird, but if anyone else here did something like that, I would want to see the pictures.

Based on just a quick review of the leaders compared to other races they've run I'd say this is a reasonable goal especially if you are trained for the hills.