3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May 2013 Racing Thread (Read 68 times)

Great running Clive, pfetro (excellent comeback run) & big congrats on the first marathon mstuartm - brilliant debut!

Also an amazing effort in the Grand Union Canal Race from Wrigley Girl - 145+ miles is mind blowing.

Looking forward to seeing some good results from today too.

5/26 Greg C - Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival 50 miler - New Gloucester, ME - <10 <9 hours <8:45

9:19:31, but I'm not thinking of it as a fail. Rained all week leading up to the race, turning a large % of the course into an unrunnable mud bog. It was freakin exhausting. I had a good day in horrible conditions, and raced hard the whole way. I'll take it.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

5/29 Roth Runner - Rosenheim League - Croydon, UK - 1500m, sub 4:40, then 3000m, sub 9:50

These are 20 minutes apart so I'm not sure what to expect, especially as I've never run a 1500m ever.  I ran a 3000m last year in 9:51.  I'm also going to wear track spikes for the first time so this should be interesting!

kcam

Got a shiny new 10K PR today!  37:26 at Marin Memorial Day Races 10K this morning.  Great way to end the 1st half of the year.  Got a two week vacay starting tomorrow which will be downtime from training.  I need it.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Got a shiny new 10K PR today!  37:26 at Marin Memorial Day Races 10K this morning.  Great way to end the 1st half of the year.  Got a two week vacay starting tomorrow which will be downtime from training.  I need it.

Congratulations on your PR, ken!

steph  

Great run Ken, I was sure you were going to nail this one, what a PR haul you have this spring!  Have a great vacation.

Walk-Jogger

Ken, congrats on the 10K PR - Nice! You're really on a roll this spring!

Greg, congrats on your 50 miler!  I ran 17 easy miles on a track this morning in decent weather and I'm sitting here licking my wounds, and you ran 33 miles further than that and in tough conditions. It boggles my mind why anyone would want to do that to themselves! but a big hearty congratulations.

And what's this about Wriggly Girl running 145 miles and then some? I can't even wrap my mind around a number that big. JeezeLouise, am I the only one that HURTS after a long run???

Retired &  Loving It

bhearn

And what's this about Wriggly Girl running 145 miles and then some? I can't even wrap my mind around a number that big. JeezeLouise, am I the only one that HURTS after a long run???

Fact is, 100 miles is already too big to really comprehend as a distance one would actually run. The only time it becomes close to comprehensible in its entirety is when you are running it, around miles 60-70. Then you know you have already run a DAMN long way, and you can conceptualize in terms of that how far you have left.

145... that's just totally beyond.

Fact is, 100 miles is already too big to really comprehend as a distance one would actually run. The only time it becomes close to comprehensible in its entirety is when you are running it, around miles 60-70. Then you know you have already run a DAMN long way, and you can conceptualize in terms of that how far you have left.

145... that's just totally beyond.

Anyone who can still conceptualize anything after that many miles is a badass. Congrats everyone, this was quite a weekend all around.

kcam

OK, quoting my own post = dumb but ...

They had a timing mat laid down just shy of the 5mile mark.  Never seen that at this race before but I thought they were worried about people cutting the race short.  Turns out there was a guy going for the 8K Masters 55-59 record (Brian Pilcher) so that was why the mat was there.  He did get the record, I think, as I just looked it up and it was 27:00 by Norm Green in 1990.  Pilcher ran 26:38 en-route to 33:46 10K.

Since my 8K split of 29:59 is faster than my official 8K PR of 30:53 I'm thinking that means I PR'd at two distance today - 8K and 10K.  I'ma countin' it as an unofficial PR only because I can't figure out a way to add it to my RA log without screwing up my overall distance run.  I'd have an extra 8K that I didn't run in my RA log.  Now I need to find an 8K.

kcam

I don't know WrigleyGirl (is she a member of this group?) but 145 miles?  I can conceptualize DRIVING 145 miles but not running it.  Wow!.  She's a badass!   All of you Ultrarunners have my respect, shoot I'm afraid to sign up for a 50K.

Nice Work on the 50 miler Greg C! I can't imagine doing the mud bath loop 3 times!!! and each loop the course got even more chewed up! Def not a fail.

5k Sat, pineland farms, 31 weeks preg. Torrential downpours insane amount of deep mud and water and hills, wasn't safe to go much faster than a slog/jog, didn't need to walk at least. Finished with 33:38! lol!!! slowest 5k ever, but had a blast. A little disappointed at not being able to really run it.

KC born 7-14-13. RC born 7-21-15

Old PR's: 5k 19:36, 10mi 1:07:46, HM 1:30:04, M 3:06:19

Working on a Comeback after baby #2

5/26 Greg C - Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival 50 miler - New Gloucester, ME - <10 <9 hours <8:45

9:19:31, but I'm not thinking of it as a fail. Rained all week leading up to the race, turning a large % of the course into an unrunnable mud bog. It was freakin exhausting. I had a good day in horrible conditions, and raced hard the whole way. I'll take it.

Nice job Greg!  They say the marathon is a fickle bitch but there are so many more factors to consider just running on trails, then make it 50 miles, then add in crap conditions.  Congrats!

an amazing likeness

I just want to say that conditions were absolute, 100% horrid. 52- 54F and cold north wind after 6 days of rain, and heavy rain the last few days. I couldn't have stood outside for 9 hours with all the foul weather gear in my closet without suffering. This is a major mental victory.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Jesshh Ken. That is pretty cool. It sounds like you got everything you could out of training and the race.

And we run because we like it
                                Through the broad bright land