3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Well so much (Read 664 times)

L Train

Stop the namby pamby whining, get your ass out the door and run.  8X800 at 5K pace with 2 minute active recoveries.

These are money btw.  I don't know anything so I must have gotten it from you.  Seems to be the perfect track workout for distance training along with mile repeats.  Except I've always done 90 secs rest. 

Yeah, during my best six months, I spent pretty much every Tuesday and Thursday anxious over the evening's workout.  Weren't those the days.  If I ran now the intensity that was routine then I WOULD be puking on the side of the track.

Cripes, why isn't anyone suggesting she do repeat beer miles?!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Cripes, why isn't anyone suggesting she do repeat beer miles?!

That will be one way to get me to have that pukey feeling at the end. Crap I might even just puke. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hawt and sexy

Repeat beer miles? Why didn't we do THAT in college? Like, not the track team, but just in general.

I still think that either one of my colleges could have been enriched by either naked or underpants races.

I'm touching your pants.

Prince of Fatness

My last 5k I did the last .12 at a 5:47 pace which is something I don't seem to have a problem doing so

This tells me that you didn't take it out fast enough.  I used to have this problem.  I always had a good kick at the end of the shorter races.  That sure looks good, but if you have that much in the tank you've wasted time.  I didn't start to see real improvement until I took it out fast enough that I worried that I could hold it.  Racing without a watch helped a lot with this. 

Next couple of 5K's you may want to take them out faster, get a little out of your comfort zone.  You may just surprise yourself.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

These are money btw.  I don't know anything so I must have gotten it from you.  Seems to be the perfect track workout for distance training along with mile repeats.  Except I've always done 90 secs rest. 

+1.  I did them by time, and a little slower, but they really helped me in races from the 5K to the half.

I'd start with 6 x 4 minutes at 10K effort with 90 second jogs, then step up to 5 x 5 minutes, same effort, same jog.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I do 90sec recovery too, but recovery should be a factor of the time to complete the interval and not the distance.  So I was running them 2:20-2:30 depending on conditioning...if they take over 3:00 I'd start adding time on to the recovery.  I kinda made the assumption that MO3 was not running them sub-3.  Also if someone is new to them I add on recovery then take it away in a few weeks when they can hack it.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I do 90sec recovery too, but recovery should be a factor of the time to complete the interval and not the distance.  So I was running them 2:20-2:30 depending on conditioning...if they take over 3:00 I'd start adding time on to the recovery.  I kinda made the assumption that MO3 was not running them sub-3.  Also if someone is new to them I add on recovery then take it away in a few weeks when they can hack it.  

When I was running .52 miles (used garmin since I was on roads) I'd do the first in low 7's  then move down until I got to 6:20's for the last couple and I was told to do .30 recovery jog between which usually was close to 2:45 or so. Now I see that I should have never have been doing the mid 6's and my recovery should have been shorter. I actually think I could handle 5 at 5k pace and 90 seconds rest. Makes me want to go out and try however that will have to wait until I run again. Hamstring FEELS fine however I'd rather be too cautious than not cautious enough!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

This tells me that you didn't take it out fast enough.  I used to have this problem.  I always had a good kick at the end of the shorter races.  That sure looks good, but if you have that much in the tank you've wasted time.  I didn't start to see real improvement until I took it out fast enough that I worried that I could hold it.  Racing without a watch helped a lot with this. 

Next couple of 5K's you may want to take them out faster, get a little out of your comfort zone.  You may just surprise yourself.

I ALWAYS go out too slow. MY splits from my 5k PR are 

Notes
                    1 Interval 1 mi     7:49      
                    2 Interval 1 mi   15:15 7:26      
                    3 Interval 1 mi   22:11 6:56      
                    4 Interval 0.1 mi 0:31 22:42 5:10  

I have this something against blowing up I guess. I RACED 1 race in my life where I gave everything I had. It was my first half marathon and I ran it with my husband. He was in 1:45 shape and I really really wanted to go 1:50  I really had no business aming for that because I was so new to running and had done no speed work and had only done one other race which was the Philly marathon. In fact I was such a noob that I took 6 full weeks off after running Philly because I had misread something.  I got 1:50 but boy it sure didn't feel good getting there!

L Train

I RACED 1 race in my life where I gave everything I had....... I got 1:50 but boy it sure didn't feel good getting there!

Well there you go.  Of course it didn't feel good (but you met the goal). 

And there's a lot less to deal with if you get out of your comfort zone at shorter races first. 

Prince of Fatness

Well there you go.  Of course it didn't feel good (but you met the goal). 

And there's a lot less to deal with if you get out of your comfort zone at shorter races first. 

Precisely.  Looking at your splits Pam, you held close to a 7 minute pace for the last 2.1 miles.  If you would have ran that first mile say 30 seconds faster, I find it hard to believe that you would have given much of that time back.

Once we get towards spring, there is a race in the 5K - 10K range almost every week.  I think that the track workouts will help you, but I also think that racing more frequently, practicing being more aggressive, would help just as much if not more.  Food for thought.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I have this something against blowing up I guess. I RACED 1 race in my life where I gave everything I had. It was my first half marathon

I advocate smart racing, but you haven't learned all you can learn about yourself until you blow yourself up in a few 5Ks.  A HM is a whole other deal; in a 5K if you blow up you have what, <10min left to run?  You will slow down but there will be no ill effects the next day probably.  When you've blown up a few times you really learn what it feels like to ride right on that line...your internal governor gets fine-tuned.

There is noting to be afraid of in a 5K, the worst you will do is run a slower time.  So get out there and run stupid a time or two.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Repeat beer miles? Why didn't we do THAT in college?

To date, nobody has puked in the beer mile here.  Though rabutler looked close to it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I usually start worrying that I can hold it, and fantasizing about quitting, by the 2nd mile of a 5K, but I also always kick - usually more than  just the last 0.12. By the last half mile I'm telling myself "it's the last half mile, gotta go, just gotta get there", and then trying again at the quarter (remaining) to talk myself up.  Ok, actually in the 2nd mile I am busy telling myself, this is where you lose it, gotta push the second mile. And I want to quit. Then passing the 2mi mark, I start telling myself, ok it's just one mile, c'mon, I know I can make it now, gotta push...

I have this hypothesis (not based on any medical background at all) that there are different muscles & energy systems you can bring into play briefly once you start your sprint (or rather, fast finish) at the end, as soon as you break through the psychological barrier (of exhaustion)...    I don't know if I'm full of genius or BS on this.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

To date, nobody has puked in the beer mile here.

"This tells me they didn't take it out fast enough."

I advocate smart racing, but you haven't learned all you can learn about yourself until you blow yourself up in a few 5Ks.  A HM is a whole other deal; in a 5K if you blow up you have what, <10min left to run?  You will slow down but there will be no ill effects the next day probably.  When you've blown up a few times you really learn what it feels like to ride right on that line...your internal governor gets fine-tuned.

There is noting to be afraid of in a 5K, the worst you will do is run a slower time.  So get out there and run stupid a time or two.

+100. I raced a few 5000's back a quarter-century ago, and I really don't have a feel for how to do them now, with this body and fitness.  My two main pieces of advice re: 5k racing: (a) don't fear aiming high and risking a blow-up; and (b) if you hit the halfway mark reasonably confident that you can sustain that effort to the finish, you're going too slow.  [My PR is the race where I best executed on those two pieces of advice.]

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau