3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Question about possible over training (Read 838 times)

Can you be over training and have no problem with recovery when it comes to heart rate. My morning heart rate is pretty much the same give a beat or 2  however I've had a major drop in stamina this past month. Other symptoms I've been dealing with is a month long headache, sensitivity to heat/cold. I have a hard time keeping eyes open after about 9 pm (eyes even start to burn)and lots of stomach pain.  I had a Half Mary that would have been GREAT had it been a full mary however it was not.  HR was very consistent with pace the slower I went the lower it went.  BTW by mile 2 (and I didn't start out aggressive at all) I knew stamina was going to be a problem so I scaled back and pretty much ran the rest of the race at a low enough effort that I knew  I'd have no problem finishing and that it wouldn't be a death march.

MTA: I have a bad stomach ache/headache and my chest feels heavy and breathing feels weird. THIS SUCKS! Oh I've been researching internal med doctors, but if over training could be the cause maybe just a bunch of easy running over the next month or two will be all I need.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Assuming all symptoms are related that doesn't sound like overtraining.  Walking pneumonia?  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Assuming all symptoms are related that doesn't sound like overtraining.  Walking pneumonia?  

it's not walking pneumonia.Everything but the headache and stamina is something I've dealt with off and on for a very very long time however I was led to believe there was another cause (though it's looking like that diagnosis was wrong) Gut feeling says the family doctor is on the right track, however I had niggles of doubt, that and this was my very first training cycle that included strength and speed. Thanks Spaniel!   Heal quickly!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Started taking licorice root yesterday (after race) and today's run was AWESOME! Did 8 miles at the same effort as yesterday with an average heart rate 10 beats lower (pace wasn't much slower than yesterday) Keeping fingers crossed! It's not a cure however it's a point that I'm heading in the right direction when it comes to diagnosis

DoppleBock

What's Licorice Root?

PS - I did not answer as I do not know much about over training - I often beat myself so far down in the short term that I have to back off - But the overtraining you are speakin gof is from weeks / months of cumulative impact.  I tend to do the self beat down in 3-4 days and then recover. 

Started taking licorice root yesterday (after race) and today's run was AWESOME!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

What's Licorice Root?

PS - I did not answer as I do not know much about over training - I often beat myself so far down in the short term that I have to back off - But the overtraining you are speakin gof is from weeks / months of cumulative impact.  I tend to do the self beat down in 3-4 days and then recover. 

Licorice root is a herb. It has glycyrrhizin in it which helps with adrenal issue's which is what is suspected is going on with me. I go to doctors on Monday and hopefully will have things figured out and on the mend in the next few weeks or so.

hence the beer you drink. 

Feeling the growl again

Licorice root is a herb. It has glycyrrhizin in it which helps with adrenal issue's which is what is suspected is going on with me. I go to doctors on Monday and hopefully will have things figured out and on the mend in the next few weeks or so.

hence the beer you drink. 

Interesting.  Adrenal issues was one of the possibilities I had for myself, but none of the docs I have seen would even consider it.  Apparently if you are not completely non-functioning ill it can't be adrenal issues...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ostrich runner

My wife is a lowly resident, but I hear her talk about adrenal fatigue being both common and unrecognized pretty often. She does tend towards diet, supplements, and alternative medicine more than many doctors, so it probably depends on what you're into.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

My wife is a lowly resident, but I hear her talk about adrenal fatigue being both common and unrecognized pretty often. She does tend towards diet, supplements, and alternative medicine more than many doctors, so it probably depends on what you're into.

I'm not the hippie alternative-medicine-can-cure-my-cancer type, but there are areas like this where I think diet and such can be part of the cause/solution.  If you/she has anything to share I'd be interested in reading it.

Problem with the endos and my primary is that ALL they care about is numbers....they can't measure how I feel so they will not work that into the equation.  I forced my hand on the thyroid part and that ended up being very, very helpful to me.

Interesting.  Adrenal issues was one of the possibilities I had for myself, but none of the docs I have seen would even consider it.  Apparently if you are not completely non-functioning ill it can't be adrenal issues...

that is BS, course I'm no doctor. Anyway I'm not one for medicine, whether it's prescription, over counter or herbal. Friday my husband (after a bunch of research on the computer)  said I think you should try licorice root. I'm like ok (inside my head I'm thinking well it won't hurt anything to try  but didn't even think there was a chance of it actually helping). He went out bought some on Friday but turned out the stuff he bought left out the ingredient that is supposed to help. Anyway long story short, he found some at Wegmans yesterday and I took my first dose. Woke up this morning with sensory issue's and problems with cold, so felt nothing had changed. Took some with my breakfast and went out for my run, not expecting much at all. Totally blew my mind at how good it felt, also had the data to back up how I was feeling. Few hours later I was feeling like crap again took my 2nd dose and am feeling great right now. Whether it's the licorice, I can't say right now however if this trend stays it will make Monday's appointment much easier. BTW I did some research and it turns out licorice root is what they treated adrenal issue's until around the 1930's.

MTA: Things have been changing majorly over the past few weeks. If it keeps happening it won't be much longer before I am non functioning

However I am a little hopeful that I'm heading in the right direction. I mean if this stuff is really helping then it's another piece of evidence pointing towards adreanal  issues. 

Hawt and sexy

Oh, the only thing I came up with after talking to you is the possibility that you could be past peak. I don't know if it's true, and you just don't go into peak enough to know what I mean. You just feel stale. Keep this feeling in mind the next time you get to peak. You have so much other crap going on right now, who knows whats all up.

I'm touching your pants.

Friday my husband (after a bunch of research on the computer)  said I think you should try licorice root.

Licorice root is a known libido enhancer.  Your husband gets major points for this gambit.

(j/k -- I'm glad it's helping you.  I'd have suggested testing for mono as well, it doesn't always knock everyone completely down.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Prince of Fatness

I have nothing to add other than I hope it's nothing serious and you get it resolved quickly.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

Licorice root is a known libido enhancer.  Your husband gets major points for this gambit.

(j/k -- I'm glad it's helping you.  I'd have suggested testing for mono as well, it doesn't always knock everyone completely down.)

My understanding is that mono or EBV is related to many of these types of things as well as quite a few autoimmune issues. Also, the virus can reactivate throughout ones life when immunity is compromised by stress and such. 

This book is the one the wife recommends I think. Like many health books, the writing is probably a bit histrionic even if the info is good.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

well so far no effect on my libido (hope dh isn't too dissappointed) however another great run this morning though at 8 miles I was starting to get hungry and a bit tired so I stopped at 9.

Good idea Clive