3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2022’s Gotta be better (Read 31 times)

C-R

Down 20lbs and consistently hitting 25 a week. Aint much but its a start. 

you?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

Congrats on the weight loss, I find it way, way harder to do than putting in the miles.  Keep it going.  I did 11 the first week of Jan, 38 the 2nd week, 50 the 3rd and this week 47, it is a start!  Only down a pound or two, though.

Cheers to the new year and best of luck to you, CR!

C-R

Nice upward glide slope. As I'm adding miles I'm finding my weight has stabilized. Guess I need to eat less but man is that a challenge.

Well if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Feeling the growl again

Working on it.  Stopped the weight gain.  Now need to make meaningful progress in the opposite direction.  I've been dealing with right hip nerve issues for years now, which have limited or sometimes outright stopped me from running.  The spin bike has been a somewhat unsatisfactory but grudgingly acceptable alternative, though the calories per hour are way lower.

Recently the hip thing has been more under control, trying to ramp things up...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

I get that about other means of exercise.

We went on a cruise in the Caribbean and I managed to run each day. Small victory.

Keep pushing. I say

DoppleBock

I have been saving my body the last 8+ years for the 55-59 age group ... and that is my story and I am sticking to that story.

That way I do not have all the wear and tear you hose heads have Smile-

Of course I am only 53 ... so I have another year of rest before I start back up

Of course it will take 18 months to get anywhere weight loss + fitness ... so I might want to start ... tomorrow

Stopped in 1st time in a while ... swamp is dead ... hurt locker ... last post Feb 2022.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kcam

I guess everyone went over to Fukbook or something.   Heh.  I'm still hanging on here, mostly just logging my workouts. Best of luck on coming back with a roar at 55!  I tried to do that when I turned 60 and it turned out to be more like a whimper!  There's always 65!

DoppleBock

I am on again - off again - on again working on my 55-59 plan ... 466 more days to start of age group.

LIkely not a roar - If I can have an endorphin filled 2 hour run ... That would be nice ... at any speed.

The King of Beasts

Tail end of 2022 was better than the beginning.  Work has settled a bit more so I can kind of count on leaving at 5-5:30pm most days.  This summer I stated back with some walking and 12 x 1 min jog 1 min walk and that kind of grew into up to 5 mile jog/walks over a few months. I did monkey half and was slow as Christmas but kind of enjoyed myself, then did full monkey and my brain was somewhere else, and I can't pin it down but I was miserable.  Also embarrassed at how out of shape I let myself get.

I'm 240 now and am looking to be 230 by the end of the year.

Going to do a local half in early February then run Little Rock Marathon in early March.  I don't have goals as of now other than to beat my monkey times.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

DoppleBock

I have all sorts of running fantasy's ... but for the next 6 months the only goals are around weight loss.

walk - run - climb - crawl - roll ... any mile is a good mile right now.

DoppleBock

Nice

I don't have goals as of now other than to beat my monkey 

Hey - Brother from another mother

C-R

Beat my monkey. Heh.

I'm trying a comeback of sorts. Quit alcohol Nov 30. Dropped 6 already and am trying to stay at 25mpw for a bit and build.

Getting back into some condition is effing hard.

Hope to hear more from folks and no I didn't go to feckbook. I just lurk anymore like some deranged hobo.

Feeling the growl again

Running-wise, 2022 was the least I've run since I started running at age 12.  Very early in the year my hip nerve issues ramped up again...at any time during a run it can set in and within minutes every stride feels like my femur is splitting in half lengthwise.  Entirely debilitating and given the unpredictability, I couldn't leave the treadmill.

By May I had quit totally.  But I bought a road bike and went at that aggressively.  Didn't do a century but a good number of 45-70 mile rides, and average rides of 20-25 miles.  Dropped about 10lbs over the summer.  But then some extended family medical issues hit and I fell off the wagon and gained it all back.

It seems the time off helped and I'm starting back to running with minimal nerve pain (not totally gone).  I'm slow, but I'm running again.  If I can take some weight off my aerobic conditioning is not that bad given the biking.

I signed up for the Indy Mini yesterday to give myself a goal.  That was my last race, 2019, where I barely missed averaging 7min/mile (slower than my easy pace just a few years prior).  My goal is just to run a bunch of weight off and get under 7min average then go from there with the rest of the year.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

So many legends here who inspired me.

I'm doing ok.  Will hit 1000 miles YTD tomorrow and feeling strong.  Not as fast as I used to be but I am grinding and racing steady for 3 years straight after probably 5 years of on and off hamstring injuries due to poor glute activation.  My high school daughter is running XC, indoor and outdoor track.  She will be faster than me soon but I will keep giving her a run for her money as an old man heading into grand masters AG in September.

Keep on keeping on!

And to close out the year, I had an MRI shortly after my last post (April 1st to be exact) and found out I had a full tear of left hamstring tendon.  I am now 7 months out from surgery and working my way very slowly back up in mileage.  I could be April before I get to 60 MPW again.