3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

What would you do? (Read 683 times)

Feeling the growl again

. Running a fast half  May 15th might be more fun, and only a quarter the pain.

FIFY.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Not to pile on but I agree with the others.  You ran hard this past weekend.  I don't think that the odds are in your favor to hit another peak in a month.  And that doesn't include all of the other external variables, including the weather, that go with hitting a marathon just right.

Why not go with some unstructured running for a couple of months?  Recharge both physically and mentally.  I'm not saying don't run, but you are fit so why not make a run at PRs in some shorter races.  You already have a half on the schedule.  Maybe throw in a few 5Ks - 10Ks in there.  Then in a couple of months start training for a fall marathon.

BTW, I gained even more appreciation for the races that you and Ben ran over the weekend.  I went out this afternoon for an easy hour and it was 85 degrees.  I am not acclimated to that heat shit.  You guys both ran real well considering the heat.  Nice goin'.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

I didn't read the above and I don't know which race it is or who I'm talking to, but I'm pretty sure all these replies telling you to take it easy don't belong here. Go injure yourself. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Not to pile on but I agree with the others.  You ran hard this past weekend.  I don't think that the odds are in your favor to hit another peak in a month.  And that doesn't include all of the other external variables, including the weather, that go with hitting a marathon just right.

Why not go with some unstructured running for a couple of months?  Recharge both physically and mentally.  I'm not saying don't run, but you are fit so why not make a run at PRs in some shorter races.  You already have a half on the schedule.  Maybe throw in a few 5Ks - 10Ks in there.  Then in a couple of months start training for a fall marathon.

BTW, I gained even more appreciation for the races that you and Ben ran over the weekend.  I went out this afternoon for an easy hour and it was 85 degrees.  I am not acclimated to that heat shit.  You guys both ran real well considering the heat.  Nice goin'.

Thanks Tater. Did I ever mention I look like a tomato?

Now that i've had more than 24 hours to sulk and get it out of my system. The idea of racing shorter distances until the marathon in August (which is not the goal, NYC in Nov. is) seems refreshing.

I do have a 10k before the half. It's April 30th. I'd like to run 39 minutes, at least. That gets me into the elite women corral for a popular 10k (Heart of the Summer) in July. I think I can do that.

Not sure if you guys saw this, but below are splits from the marathon Sunday, pretty hilarious Wink  (i'm still too scared to look at my individual splits from my watch)  This is why I think I can pull 39. I also need to work on my 5k. 19:31 is the PR there. It can be better too.

6Mi 41:46
          Half 1:32:52
          17Mi 2:02:57
          20 3Mi 2:28:09

Feeling the growl again

Heh.

This is why I love halfs so much.  But my marathon PR is much, much weaker and just pisses me off for all the years I threw at it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I think my marathon PR is my best, right? It predicts faster times for my other distances on all the calculators anyway.

That's a different kind of frustration. Though Ben made a valid point yesterday...I never taper for anything but a marathon.

Your marathon PR is the most impressive to me.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Your 5K PR is pathetic.  Wink

I think you could crush it right now, especially after a warmup attempt or two.

Your 5K PR is pathetic.  Wink

I think you could crush it right now, especially after a warmup attempt or two.

I know, right?

5ks are scary. 

But yea, I should work on that.

So I was finally ready to laugh at myself, so I took a look at my splits from Sunday...

Death by sun.

bahaha...

1: 6:35
                        2: 6:59
                        3: 7:18
                        4: 6:36
                        5: 6:51
                        6: 6:58
                        7: 7:02
                        8: 7:14
                        9: 6:57
                        10: 7:14
                        11: 7:01
                        12: 7:41
                        13: 7:08
                        14: 7:32
                        15: 7:50
                        16: 7:42
                        17: 7:33
                        18: 7:22
                        19: 7:44
                        20: 7:23
                        21: 7:36
                        22: 7:52
                        23: 7:47
                        24: 7:51
                        25: 8:06 (wow, GOOD TIMES)
                        26: 7:48
                        .2- Not sure, pressed the wrong button to stop my watch.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Candice - you should not be ashamed of those splits. Yes, the first few were a bit quick - but, given the heat, it wasn't too far off your PR. On a good day you would have destroyed it.

The King of Beasts

Candice - you should not be ashamed of those splits. Yes, the first few were a bit quick - but, given the heat, it wasn't too far off your PR. On a good day you would have destroyed it.

I agree on all counts.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

L Train

I would have gone up in flames for sure.  Probably before the race even started. 

Feeling the growl again

I will always be proud of how I did in the heat at Boston in 04 but my splits were not that even.  I slowed down more.  Looks good to me.