3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ultra talk (Read 738 times)

DoppleBock

I guess a glove could keep your manhood warm 

I'd wear some type of hat with a brim, if there's any chance of rain or snow. And I might take both light and heavy gloves, if I had pockets for both, to have the option of moving down -- in case you hit a high wind section and want to move back up to heavy gloves. Course I tend to dress heavy, cause I stay colder than many.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

obsessor

I thought this thread would be a slow mover, in the ultra tradition. it's wonderful.

There have been a lot of good foot comments. My best luck has been lots of lubricant and no socks. Recognize signs of blood blisters early, and do not hesitate changing shoes, if needed. Sooner is better.

On the nutrition front - I think I will try some bananas next time. Fig newtons have always worked well for me. Nothing too dry, because I'll choke., inhaling the crumbs.

obsessor

I guess a glove could keep your manhood warm 

Socks work. And are a good pair of extra gloves.

DoppleBock

Survided Bullet #1

2010 Desert Solstice - I can not find the results again - But top runner was 133.xx

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

C-R

Good news DB.

I know everyone was worried about my manhood in the cold and I am happy to report all ended well. No socks required.

I tried the double glove trick but that got too hot after about a mile from the start. I did switch gloves to mittens on lap 2. Overall I overlayered on the legs and was about right on top. I ran mostly with my jacket unzipped. Biggest issue for future non-loop courses was headgear. I switched caps after each lap as the one I was wearing was soaked. That could have been an issue.

Other fact to note - I need a decent trail shoe. My Nike Katanas slipped way too often. I run in a lighter weight sho so I am open to suggestions. The Inov-8s look good and A1 mentioned NB MT101s. Any others to review?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Good news DB.

I know everyone was worried about my manhood in the cold and I am happy to report all ended well. No socks required.

I tried the double glove trick but that got too hot after about a mile from the start. I did switch gloves to mittens on lap 2. Overall I overlayered on the legs and was about right on top. I ran mostly with my jacket unzipped. Biggest issue for future non-loop courses was headgear. I switched caps after each lap as the one I was wearing was soaked. That could have been an issue.

Other fact to note - I need a decent trail shoe. My Nike Katanas slipped way too often. I run in a lighter weight sho so I am open to suggestions. The Inov-8s look good and A1 mentioned NB MT101s. Any others to review?

Look at gloves made for nordic skiing.  They are made for heavy exertion in cold weather.

Ditto for the wind briefs.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Look at gloves made for nordic skiing.  They are made for heavy exertion in cold weather.

Ditto for the wind briefs.

The new gloves I bought at Dicks were real good.

Where can I find me some of these wind briefs of which you speak?

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Ostrich runner

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

C-R

Cool. Thanks Beef. Santa just promised to deliver some warmth to the boys.

Wait, that sounded kinda Naderish.

Hawt and sexy

MAN SPANKES!

You gotta post pics. Please!

I'm touching your pants.

Nutwarmers!  Awesome.  Almost worth another xmas present for the bf...

Feeling the growl again

This is the closest I can find to what I have in a quick search.  I do not have nor do I see a need for the biker short spandex style that most of the links turned up.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

ok, random thread hijack to sorta kinda the original idea, sorta. kinda. maybe. let's say you're some random person. you've run oh, I don't know, let's say 3 marathons. you've BQ'd. you're doing boston in 2011. you're in your 40's. you're starting to kinda sorta look at ultras as maybe a next thing to try. you sort of have the idea in mind that a 50 miler might be the way to go. how do you go about beginning to approach this idea?

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My way was to sign up for a cheap one that looked informal and fun, and that I wouldn't cry about if I wound up chickening out I mean, something happened and I missed it. Then I proceeded to not do any of the long, long runs that were recommended, but just tried to do two medium-to-long runs on weekends, and hope I could scrape by somehow. And I did it, and walked the uphills, and dawdled in aid stations, and really enjoyed it.

I am pretty sure there are better ways to prepare.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

C-R

I'm in my 40's have run 15 marathons, BQ'd this year for the first time and decided to run a 50k near home to test the waters. Did this off my normal trianing and just ran it for fun. 50 miler might be next year in May but again close to home.

IMO try the 50k first and get a feel for what it's like. I really enjoyed mine even in arctic conditions. Leanred much including the part where you can't compare road marathons to trail ultras. Apples and oranges.