3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ultra talk (Read 738 times)

DoppleBock

I went right from Marathon to 50M with no issues - Its all about pacing ... eating and drinking a lot

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

On On

A WC Team is plenty of carrot.

So you need to hit the 135 mile minimum, AND be Top three at the national championship, to get an automatic qualifier right?  And then you're saying that so far getting an open spot requires 154 miles based on what has been run so far?

If you are still looking at Northcoast 24 Hour I got an email today they are raising the price $25 on 1/1/2011.  $85 currently for you to register.

Good Luck with the training and top 3.

C-R

I went right from Marathon to 50M with no issues - Its all about pacing ... eating and drinking a lot

yeah but you're not mortal like the rest of us

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

If you are still looking at Northcoast 24 Hour I got an email today they are raising the price $25 on 1/1/2011.  $85 currently for you to register.

Good Luck with the training and top 3.

Thanks.  I am sure I would wait as long as possible to commit on this though.  Certainly not before May.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I have meet a lot of people that do well in 50M

People that run 4-4:15 marathons that run 9:30-10:00 trail 50M

Its all about pacing, eating and drinking

But the pacing feels completely different than a marathon and its easy for some and hard for others + You do not have to be a very good eater or drinker to do well in a marathon.

I truly believe 50M requires very little if any fitness above a marathon if done right.  But the more fit you are the more room for error you have in screwing stuff up. 

yeah but you're not mortal like the rest of us

Feeling the growl again

drinking a lot

Well I've got that covered lately...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

I certainly had many people in front of me last weekend who I think aren't ahead of me fitness wise...not that I was anywhere near properly prepared. I ended up "running" at over 13 minute pace.  I think I probably could have pushed that a minute and a half or more faster just by staying somewhat warm and perhaps another jump if I had more fluids on the last lap.  I have also noticed that I get rapidly slower in trail races if I am alone in the last few miles.   

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Seanv2

Anton Krupicka posted an interesting FAQ about his running the other day.  I was particularly curious about his comment that he thinks he has a slow metabolism. Got me wondering if there is any validity to the idea the old slow metabolism / fast metabolism debate and whether having a slower metabolism is an asset in ultra racing.

Also interesting that Boulder seems to have become a kind of elite ultra training camp with Jurek, Roes, Krupicka and others all living there. It'll be interesting to see if all those guys training with each other and living at altitude will lead to new course records.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

DoppleBock

Also interesting that Boulder seems to have become a kind of elite ultra training camp with Jurek, Roes, Krupicka and others all living there. It'll be interesting to see if all those guys training with each other and living at altitude will lead to new course records.

Sometimes they have group training runs with 10-15 guys that is the accumulation of more talent than any one ultra race draws the whole year.

Sometimes they have group training runs with 10-15 guys that is the accumulation of more talent than any one ultra race draws the whole year.

AND they are all coming to Chuckanut 50k in WA this year! I will finish 3 hours behind them.

http://ultrasignup.com/entrants_event.aspx?did=10842

~Sara
                      It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

C-R

Happens all the time in business and golf as well so I can see it for running too. The great one's want to be in proximity so they can measure off the other great one's. Silicon Valley, Research Triangle. Isleworth CC. This should lead to more good things for ultra running.

Now if only Dean K would join them it would be the best evah!

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Seanv2

Does he even race anymore or is he strictly doing publicity stunts?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Could they keep up with him?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

C-R

Could they keep up with him?

RUnning up a mountain and at the same time climbing past his ego might make passing DK impossible.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

DK impossible.

There is this odd familiarity about those two words together

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.