3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ultra talk (Read 738 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

sure you will..

I don't need any motivation.  I am chomping at the bit to get some miles in.  I just can't get out there at the moment.  My knee appears to be fixed, sort of, but I can't stop shitting and puking.  It has been going on for 3 straight days now.  I just want to run.

And.... I will give it a shot.  Be under no illusion:  you don't travel thousands of miles and pay thousands of pounds just to "have a go" . 

I will be there to compete.

The King of Beasts

I wish you a speedy recovery, if your knee is hurt bad ease back into it slow.

(but you already know that)

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Feeling the growl again

Ouch.  Is she ok?

Hah.  The woman is a saint to tolerate me and especially my running over the years.

I guess she forgot that the thing that lit a fire under my ass to get fast way back in the day (early HS) was some redneck construction workers jeering at me because a fat girl was lapping me in practice.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I have used Endurox occasionally...I thought the mag was the reason it was good, but I have only used it for recovery.  I guess that much mag during a race could give you the...um...runs.

Yes excessive amounts can make you a valcano

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

You will have to get your foot care advice elsewhere - I would turn to Wrigley Girl or others.

My feet are like tanks - I do not get blisters, I wear cotton socks and stay comfortable.  I won 12 pair of high end socks and tried 3 pair - I did not notice a gain in comfort and they only lasted for 6 long runs each.  When retail is $15-$25 compared to $1 for my normal socks this does not makes sense.

I will not mention the name in case I get a sponsorship deal some day ... Because I will take all the free high end socks I can get.

The one think I do know - As soon as a problem develops - take care of it.  Spending 5 minutes to fix blisters, sock or shoe issues is a no brainer.

Now the last hour of the race - Its your call - Fight on or stop and take care of it.  My big toe nail started pulling up with 30 minutes to go in France - I did not feel there was a benefit (Other than pain prevention) of stoping and taking care of it.  But it did hurt in a freaky way.

Hawt and sexy

Wait. Andypants is going for an ultra team now? heh If you like, I can suggest a teepee maker for the home you will be needing in the backyard after she kicks you out of the house.

I'm touching your pants.

TripleBock

Wait. Andypants is going for an ultra team now? heh If you like, I can suggest a teepee maker for the home you will be needing in the backyard after she kicks you out of the house.

The top 100 - 100 mile runners run a lot less miles than the top 100 marathoners in the USA

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Hawt and sexy

I don't really remember having any nutrition problems in my ultra attempts, but if I had one Carl would know. I only made it 50 the one time, and my problems seems to be my quads/hip flexors. Especially the hip flexor I hurt in college track. For me to tackle an ultra for real, I would have to deal with those issues and figure out how to get them to keep going after 28 or so miles. I have energy, I can move, the quads and such are just done. Once the ability to lift the legs over rocks is gone, so is my comfort in running on a trail. So I walk. I also have some other issues, but those can't be fixed.

Meh. I ramble

I'm touching your pants.

Hawt and sexy

The top 100 - 100 mile runners run a lot less miles than the top 100 marathoners in the USA

Better keep those coming, he's going to need them.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

I'm not doing the trail ones.  If I want mountain scenery I will carry a pack and a rifle and kill something while I am there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Hawt and sexy

Does this mean you will be at 3 Days at the Fair this year? 'Cuz if you are, I might be able to get there for crew and stuff, as long as I can run a few laps here and there.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Does this mean you will be at 3 Days at the Fair this year? 'Cuz if you are, I might be able to get there for crew and stuff, as long as I can run a few laps here and there.

I may entertain the 50-miler in South Bend, IN that C-R talked about to test the waters.  That may feed or strongly deter any attempt at North Shore in the fall.  Short of making the World Champs team that is about the extent of my ultra ambitions.

I am not sure I have ever topped 3 hours of continual running and if I did it was only by minutes.  I am nothing but talk until I step up.

DoppleBock

If the goal is a chance at Team USA - USA National Champ race is the place to be.

2012 the open division (If rules do not change) will have the bump spot of me @ 154.48

Serge @ 156.5

Scott @ 165.7

Next after me would be Mike Morton @ 153.89

We will find you a crew one way or another

If the last 2 year are an indicator of 2011 - If you run 140 @ North Coast you will be in. 

DoppleBock

North Coast or NC24

True it is the great unknow

People give the unknown way to much credit

But at some point in the race you will have to get into a certain mind set.  Think about if you were hunting and got lost, it was cold and if you stopped you would die.  You have to keep moving pushing as your life would depend on it.  Most people could, but do not want to experience this frame of mind.

Feeling the growl again

If the goal is a chance at Team USA - USA National Champ race is the place to be.

2012 the open division (If rules do not change) will have the bump spot of me @ 154.48

Serge @ 156.5

Scott @ 165.7

Next after me would be Mike Morton @ 153.89

We will find you a crew one way or another

If the last 2 year are an indicator of 2011 - If you run 140 @ North Coast you will be in. 

This is a bit of Greek to me... what is a bump spot?  

The way I read the rules it took top 3 and 135 miles to get an automatic spot on the team.  Am I missing something?