3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ultra talk (Read 738 times)

DoppleBock

total of 6 of team

3 spots chosen @ National Championship race - Top 3 men and women as long as they acheive a minimum of 135 men and 120 women.

3 at large spots (Hence bump spot)  The suggestion of running a race other than National Championship race would be suggesting going for an at large spot.  The 3 at large spots have been chosen based upon performances from May 1st 2008 - December 31st 2009 for the 2010 team.

If they follow the same "At Large" rules - The 3 spots will be chosed from top distances from May 1 2010 to December 31st 2011 races in rank order for the 2012 World Championship race

Currently if nothing else changes in 2011

Scott Jurek 165.7

Serge Arbona 156.48

Michael Henze 154.48

Mike Morton 153.89

Phil McCarthy 143.24

Why is the bump spot important?  Scott has said he will not do another one.  But also this year Serge Won the National Championship Race with 156.48, so that takes him out of the 2011 "At Large" pool.  Finally, not everyone excepts the invite.

If you are in the "At Large" pool you have to sweat it out all the way until 2 quality races that happen 12/31

So

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I am feeling stupid tonight but I have to ask one more....

So the Sept 2011 Natl Champ race....success here would qualify for 2012 World CHamp right?  Or an at-large bid in another race by Dec 31 2011 (which I would not do)?

MTA:  I guess what is confusing me is that if Serge won the Natl Champ this year and that takes him out of the pool I gather that got him an auto spot...I thought it was just the race from 2011 counting for 2012.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I am feeling stupid tonight but I have to ask one more....

So the Sept 2011 Natl Champ race....success here would qualify for 2012 World CHamp right?  Or an at-large bid in another race by Dec 31 2011 (which I would not do)?

MTA:  I guess what is confusing me is that if Serge won the Natl Champ this year and that takes him out of the pool I gather that got him an auto spot...I thought it was just the race from 2011 counting for 2012.

Sept 2010 race win at Nat Champ (156.48)- Get's him auto into 2011

Sept 2010 race at National Champs is within the May, 1st 2010 to Dcember 31 2011 qualifying window, so it can be used for an "At Large" bid for the 2012.

My May 2010 Race may qualify me for 2011 and 2012 as it should be in both qualifying windows.  Double dipping is fine.  The king of the duple dip was Bill Allen.  He ran a Race May 2-3 and qualified for the Worlds in the fall that year, then they moved it to the spring and that one race could have got him into the next 2 Worlds for a triple dip off of 1 Race, but his 140.1 fell short of the "At Large" in the 3rd year.

Feeling the growl again

Cool.  I am only focused on the 2012 issues then.  Sept 2011 Natl champs it is.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

http://joghard.blogspot.com/2009/10/endocrine-system.html

Kalsarikännit

The somewhat current selection list.  Across The Years and the 24 hour in North Carolina on New Year's Eve may shake up the lists a little. 

http://www.usatf.org/events/2011/World24-HourRunChampionships/entry/performanceList.asp

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

You will have to get your foot care advice elsewhere - I would turn to Wrigley Girl or others.

My feet are like tanks - I do not get blisters, I wear cotton socks and stay comfortable.  I won 12 pair of high end socks and tried 3 pair - I did not notice a gain in comfort and they only lasted for 6 long runs each.  When retail is $15-$25 compared to $1 for my normal socks this does not makes sense.

I will not mention the name in case I get a sponsorship deal some day ... Because I will take all the free high end socks I can get.

The one think I do know - As soon as a problem develops - take care of it.  Spending 5 minutes to fix blisters, sock or shoe issues is a no brainer.

Now the last hour of the race - Its your call - Fight on or stop and take care of it.  My big toe nail started pulling up with 30 minutes to go in France - I did not feel there was a benefit (Other than pain prevention) of stoping and taking care of it.  But it did hurt in a freaky way.

Given my apparent issues with blisters and whatnot, what is the best way to take care of them?

Have you experimented with different sock types? 

I used to get them, but never with Smartwool.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Have you experimented with different sock types? 

I used to get them, but never with Smartwool.

Nope. My only bad experience was Kettle Moraine with continually wet feet. I'm going to try Smartwool, though.

The King of Beasts

Smartwool is the way to go (for me).

i used to get blisters in cotton socks and other brands of socks.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

So what would the structure for 100 training look?

I have 30 weeks to Tahoe. Should the focus be total volume or doing frequent 30+?

DoppleBock

My current list

<colgroup><col span="1" width="64" /><col span="1" width="91" /><col span="4" width="64" /><col span="1" width="149" /><col span="1" width="64" /></colgroup>
                          Connie Gardner 141.42 2010 NorthCoast - USA Champs Automatic
                          Anne Riddle Lundbla 133.13 2010 NorthCoast - USA Champs Automatic
                          Anna Piskorska 129.11 2010 NorthCoast - USA Champs Automatic
                          Susan Bohn  137.78 2010 24 the hard way    
                          Jamie Donaldson 136.98 2010 Ultra Centric (Nov)    
                          Jamie Donaldson 136.83 World 24 hour Champs 2009    
                          Jill Perry   136.3 NorthCoast 2009 USA Champs    
                          Susan Bohn  134.7 San Francisco 1 day 2009    
                          Anna Piskorska 133.23 NorthCoast 2009 USA Champs    
                          Amy Palmiero-Winters 130.04 Arizona Road Racers - Run into the future 12/31/09  
                          Annette Bednoski 129.6 World 24 hour Champs 2009    
                          Deb Horn   129.13 NorthCoast 2009 USA Champs / 129.13 @ Brive  
                          Carilyn Johnson 126.7 World 24 hour Champs 2009    
                          Sabrina Moran 125.18 20/24 - Philly      
                          Jen Aradi    123.61 2010 Cornbelt      

The somewhat current selection list.  Across The Years and the 24 hour in North Carolina on New Year's Eve may shake up the lists a little. 

http://www.usatf.org/events/2011/World24-HourRunChampionships/entry/performanceList.asp

DoppleBock

<colgroup><col span="1" width="64" /><col span="1" width="91" /><col span="4" width="64" /><col span="1" width="40" /><col span="1" width="66" /></colgroup>

Serge Arbona 156.49 2010 NorthCoast - USA Champs Automatic
                            Phil McCarthy 139.26 2010 NorthCoast - USA Champs Automatic
                            Nick Coury 136.13 2010 NorthCoast - USA Champs Automatic
                            Scott Jurek 165.7 2010 Worlds      
                            Michael Henze 154.48 2010 Worlds      
                            Mike Morton 153.89 2010 Hinson Lake      
                            Phil McCarthy 151.5 NorthCoast 2009 USA Champs    
                            Serge Arbona 150.4 2010 Worlds      
                            Brian Krogmann 140.1 San Francisco 1 day 2009    
                            John Geesler 139.4 NorthCoast 2009 USA Champs    
                            Dan Rose   139.23 NorthCoast 2009 USA Champs    
                            Keith Straw 137.87 NorthCoast 2009 USA Champs    
                            Tim Clement 134.21 NorthCoast 2009 USA Champs    

DoppleBock

I did not cross check to WG - But Susan has moved up to 1st "At Large" spot and Mike Morton is at #3.

Likely Scott Jurek does not run 2011

3 decent races yet this year

http://www.acrosstheyears.com/  12/31 - Big one - Bronze Label

http://aravaiparunning.com/aravaiparunning/page.php?38 12/18 - not as big - Bronze Label

http://www.my-bmrc.org/FPNYU.html - Smaller - Not as likely to produce

I may be missing a race - but my hope is not to get bumped into the 4 slot and have to hope someone declines.

DoppleBock

Sounds like a trail 100 - I am a virign

I would always keep 1 speed type workout - LAT

Lots of hills generally + Technical trails when possible

1 long run each week on technical, hilly trails

1-2 relly long runs every 5 weeks - On hilly technical trails - Go by time and not distance 

I would still hit the roads at least a 2 times a week - Me let face it, not trails close - so likely 4 times a week.

I would consider a hypoxic tent

So what would the structure for 100 training look?

I have 30 weeks to Tahoe. Should the focus be total volume or doing frequent 30+?