3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ultra talk (Read 738 times)

Have you experimented with different sock types? 

I used to get them, but never with Smartwool.

I love Drymax socks. A lot.

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Hawt and sexy

Ok, I look at those lists and wonder how many of those peeps I have met. Dan Rose ran VTU, so I met him there. Everybody knows Keith Straw. I think Anna P. is the one that lives down towards Reading, and I have met her there. There could be other that I have seen/met and I just don't know them by name.

I'm touching your pants.

Hawt and sexy

There is a book and a website called "Fixing Your Feet." I have the book. It boils down to finding what works for you. i would poke around the website if I was having issues with my feet again.

I'm touching your pants.

obsessor

I don't need any motivation.  I am chomping at the bit to get some miles in.  I just can't get out there at the moment.  My knee appears to be fixed, sort of, but I can't stop shitting and puking.  It has been going on for 3 straight days now.  I just want to run.

And.... I will give it a shot.  Be under no illusion:  you don't travel thousands of miles and pay thousands of pounds just to "have a go" . 

I will be there to compete.

Now you're talking. (hope that has the same connotation over there.)

DoppleBock

I love Drymax socks. A lot.

I have 9 pair of those left ... nuff said

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

C-R

Alright people. I don't need any rah rah crap but I need some advice. We just had another 5+ inches of snow. Sat high is around 20. Its a loop course on trails but the snow won't be packed down at least for the first loop. I plan to bring at least three sets of jackets, hats shirts, socks, shoes and gloves to change after each loop. Any advice on long cold weather running in snow? What to watch for (body cues). I'm not worried about finishing but making sure I don't do something stupid.

Oh and count this as an official tweak. Best you'll get from me. I ain't BCR ya know.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The King of Beasts

I think you have a good plan CR, better safe than sorry. 

(but with a jacket you might end up sweating too much and soaking your clothes, leading to being colder)

is it going to be snowing during the race ?

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

DoppleBock

Hi-tech wicking layers on the inside

Outer very light wind breaker on the outside

Make sure if you are going minimal or skimping on the legs to watch forecast for wind - You do not want to freeze your manhood.  It is extremely painful as it thaws out.

I am not a outside expert - So I hope others chime in

Alright people. I don't need any rah rah crap but I need some advice. We just had another 5+ inches of snow. Sat high is around 20. Its a loop course on trails but the snow won't be packed down at least for the first loop. I plan to bring at least three sets of jackets, hats shirts, socks, shoes and gloves to change after each loop. Any advice on long cold weather running in snow? What to watch for (body cues). I'm not worried about finishing but making sure I don't do something stupid.

Oh and count this as an official tweak. Best you'll get from me. I ain't BCR ya know.

Ostrich runner

Be on chafe watch.  I'm going to have yaktrax just in case.  They got less snow up there.  HUFF vets tell me to watch out for the wind on the dam.  

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Ostrich runner

I think you have a good plan CR, better safe than sorry. 

(but with a jacket you might end up sweating too much and soaking your clothes, leading to being colder)

is it going to be snowing during the race ?

Probably not snowing. The race is three laps, so it shouldn't be hard to dry out if one is not too hung up on time.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Carl A

I don't think you'll need that many changes of clothes. Start with a few layers and add to or remove those as conditions warrant.

As soon as you start to sweat at all, unzip the jacket, maybe halfway or all the way, to let out the steam and stay cooler. Try to stay warm but not hot, near the edge of sweating. A baseball cap will probably be enough for your head, unless it's windy.

Tights usually work well, but don't go out and buy anything now. You can keep your favorite warmup sweats handy to put on over your shorts, especially if you face the fate that Mike mentioned.

What you want to try to create with the clothes and cool air is the feeling of ideal marathon conditions - about 40 degrees air temp, no wind.

How far is the race?

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

C-R

Good thoughts. I should have been a bit more clear. I plan to layer with tech shirts. The multiple changes are in case I overheat and need to dry off. I'm most concerned about shoes and socks. I did not plan to runn in shorts but rather tights or pants. Good call on the wind Beef. When running across the causeway at Eagle Creek in the winter that breeze can cut you in half.

Beef is correct. No snow in the forecast but then again it is N IN and there could be lake effect. Unlikely but possible.

Chafing is not an issue. I damn near body glide anything that I can.

I can't run comfortably in one of those balaclava face mask things and use vaseline on my face. Probably do the same here.

Carl - its a 50k and no way I wear new clothes to anything longer than a 5k. I learned that painful lesson a few years past.

Thanks all.

Tweak over

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

DoppleBock

I thought to huff of HUFFING was a bad thing

Are you HUFFing glue or gas?

I wish you all a great race - It will be fun if you make it fun!

C-R

I just re-read your post DB. Frozen manhood? Holy hell.

Looks like I picked a bad week to stop huffing glue.

Oh and I just figured out HUFF = Huntington Ultra Frigid Fifty. No false advertising there.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'd wear some type of hat with a brim, if there's any chance of rain or snow. And I might take both light and heavy gloves, if I had pockets for both, to have the option of moving down -- in case you hit a high wind section and want to move back up to heavy gloves. Course I tend to dress heavy, cause I stay colder than many.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.