3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June 2014 Race Thread (Read 41 times)

Feeling the growl again

6/19  - Spaniel - All Comers Track Meet - Zionsville IN - Mile <4:59, 400m <1:06

The weather may have a large impact on this one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

If I weren't running Western States a week later I'd be tempted to join you, Ken. I've never run at a track meet.

Plenty of time, Bob.  Get that WS, do some recovery and come on out.  The meets are every Thursday starting 6/19 with the last one being August 7th.  Running events start at 6PM, in the following order:

4x100
      60/100 HH
      Mile
      300H
      2 Mile
      4x400

I'll be at most of them doing a combo of either 800 & Mile or 400 & 2mile.  The 2mile is quite enjoyable as it's run in the twilight.  You should come out and run.  $8 (it might be $7 but not sure) for any or all events.

6/21 - Parklife - San Lorenzo Trail Run - Santa Cruz, CA - Sub-39 min.

Not so sure about the time. I guess there is 800 feet of elevation climb in this.

And we run because we like it
        Through the broad bright land

6/18, Ntown Kevin, Ansonia YMCA, Ansonia CT, 5K, PR

Wife is taking kids to grandma's tomorrow, so I have a free night, might as well race, even if it's supposed to be stoopid hot and humid.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

6/18, Ntown Kevin, Ansonia YMCA, Ansonia CT, 5K, PR

Wife is taking kids to grandma's tomorrow, so I have a free night, might as well race, even if it's supposed to be stoopid hot and humid.

17:36. 2OA.

Heat and humidity were a BIOTCH tonight. Still, I stupidly gambled on a burn the boats go for broke strategy. Came through 2 miles in 10:21...hahaha. Oh dear. Was cooked at that point. Limped home, hoping that everyone else was cooked too. They were. Winner was a guy who wins em all around here, and he posted a mediocre time for him too. Oh well. Still racing. Still fun.

Feeling the growl again

Heat and humidity were a BIOTCH tonight. Still, I stupidly gambled on a burn the boats go for broke strategy. Came through 2 miles in 10:21...

OUCH.  Hardcore though!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Heat and humidity were a BIOTCH tonight. Still, I stupidly gambled on a burn the boats go for broke strategy. Came through 2 miles in 10:21...hahaha. Oh dear. Was cooked at that point. Limped home, hoping that everyone else was cooked too. They were. Winner was a guy who wins em all around here, and he posted a mediocre time for him too. Oh well. Still racing. Still fun.

Damn. I shoulda come out to watch this. Stupid lawn.

Hope you chowed down on the buffet afterward - that's the best part of that race.

OUCH.  Hardcore though!

Ouch indeed. My first instinct was to dunk my head in the keg bucket holding the waters in ice. Decided that might be "unclean" for the poor saps behind me, so just poured a water on my head instead.

Feeling the growl again

6/19  - Spaniel - All Comers Track Meet - Zionsville IN - Mile <4:59, 400m <1:06

The weather may have a large impact on this one.

DNS.  Looked like it was going to be heat index in the 80s, and I was in bad shape yesterday so no need to make it worse.

From the look of the storms off that way I'm wondering if they canceled it.

C-R

Nice mbehr!

Here we go again.

6/19  All Comers Track Meet Zionsville IN

"Mile" < 5:34

400 < 1:07

800 < 2:40

and I am not running the 3200. Nope. Nada. Not going to do it.

Cancelled due to storms.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

Me too, me too!

6/19 All Comers Los Gatos, Ca

800 - 2:40

Mile - 5:40

800 comes first, then about an hour before the Mile, even thought that's plenty of time to recover I never seem to run that second race like I should.

Both goal times are kinda stretch goals in which I have no idea whether I can run them.  No way No how am I doing the 400 (this time!).

Cancelled due to shitty athlete.

I got there too late for the 800 but started the mile.  At the 600m mark my arms were hurting and I knew then I'd step off at 809m and call it a day.  I just plain sucked.  Ran 2:46 for 809.  In retrospect, I shoulda just kept on going to the bitter end.

I need more speed-endurance work.

Walk-Jogger

Ken - ouch! Don't beat yourself up too much over it. There's always the next meet to redeem yourself.

Heat, lawn work, weather cancellations; bummer.

My turn tomorrow morning with my geezer meet. My right heel is still bothering me a bit, though I can walk without a limp now. I haven't run all week on it, just cross-trained on the bike and slow walking at 30% slope on the incline TM.  I'm going to show up at the meet and and try running on it, starting with the 60 meters, and keep going until my foot says to stop. Which might be after 60 meters or maybe I'll get lucky and make it through all 6 races up to the 1600. If I can at least run an honest 100 meters (2nd race)  I'll be somewhat satisfied.

Retired &  Loving It

+1

Have a good run tomorrow Cecil.

Ken - ouch! Don't beat yourself up too much over it. There's always the next meet to redeem yourself.

Walk-Jogger

Some or all of this meet is starting to look very unlikely, due to the pain in my right heel. I'm not certain now if it's plantar facsiitis, a calcaneal stress fracture or calcaneal bursitis. All  know is that it slowly started showing up in early May after racing 12k in 3.9 oz flats, and it gets worse the further I run or when I sprint. The pain is a burning, extremely tight feeling in the heel, sometimes more on the sole, sometimes more on the back of the heel but not the sole. This is not a convenient time to be injured. Not that there is ANY time that it is convenient. I'm back to biking to stay n shape, but that requires warm weather, and it's cold enough today and the past few days that the furnace is running at home and I'm having to wear long sleeve shirts and a jacket to work to stay warm.  

It's 2 hours till this meet starts and I'm officially calling it a DNS. I just tried jogging around the bock, and even with my right foot taped up it feels bruised and a bit painful; but when I try to sprint, it hurts like hell. <sigh> Dammit. I am forced to concede to the possibility that this is a calcaneal stress fracture, and I won't be able to run on it until I take 8 weeks or so off from running. I'm going to drive down and watch the meet, and then come home and go for a bike ride if I have time before heading up to my 41st high school reunion.

Just a side observation to try to help me keep a perspective on things; at age 59, I'm angry because I can't race in a track meet this morning due to a foot bone that I have apparently pounded into submission. But I also just found out on Facebook that one of my old high school classmates won't be able to attend the re-union this evening because he just got a phone call last night; a donor kidney has just become available for him, so he will be getting that taken care of, today I assume . . .

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

I am forced to concede to the possibility that this is a calcaneal stress fracture, and I won't be able to run on it until I take 8 weeks or so off from running. 

But I also just found out on Facebook that one of my old high school classmates won't be able to attend the re-union this evening because he just got a phone call last night; a donor kidney has just become available for him, so he will be getting that taken care of, today I assume . . .

That stinks, Cecil.  Get it taken care of and you'll be running again when the good fall weather hits.  Summer is better for drinking beer anyways.  Big grin

Yes, all in perspective.  If I'm in as good of shape/health in my 50s as some of you here I'll be a thankful man.