3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

April 2013 Racing Thread (Read 72 times)

bhearn

What you experienced is pretty typical for Boston for someone who trains on the flatlands.  To do better you will need to find a way to beat your quads up more in training.

MTA:  In "Duel in the Sun", it relates how Beardsley used to pound his fist into each quad X number of times per night.

Trails and ultras are good for that. Hills at Boston? What hills?

That said, a negative-split strategy helps too. Save those quads for the last 5 miles.

bhearn

Big congrats to bhearn.  That's especially impressive given the proximity to Boston.  You're not human an idiot, right?

Thanks. We'll see what the cost of that 5 miler was. With the hamstring/adductor, I could barely walk the rest of the day.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in for a 5k this weekend.  I'll put it here so that I have no excuse to not start.

4/28 - Still Shuffle 5k - goal: 16:15

Course is actually short (3.0).  No better time than now to start the summer challenge of getting the 5k <16.

kcam

4/28- kencamet- Great Race (4 Mile) - Saratoga, CA- <24:00

Last minute decision to run this one.  I've run it twice before and I think, at least on paper, I should be able to average sub-6 for this one.  It's a very fast, very popular local 4 miler that typically runs about the same per-mile pace as a flat, fast 5K.  Best I've done there before was 24:08 last year.  'nother opportunity to get some longish 'speed' work done.

Fixed.  Thanks for catching that, Bob.  Yeah, it's this coming Sunday.  Just now registered for it.  $43.50 (late reg plus on-line fee) for a chance at immortality ...   Yep, a sub-6 pace on this race would be worth  it to me!

bhearn

Uh, 4/21?

Racin' so fast he's violating causality.  I like it.

(But I think it's 4/28.)

Uh, 4/21?

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

C-R

On the fence for a 5k on Sat. The Clash keeps ringing in my ears, Should I stay or should I go?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

On the fence for a 5k on Sat. The Clash keeps ringing in my ears, Should I stay or should I go?

Is it in Carmel?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

kcam

4/28- kencamet- Great Race (4 Mile) - Saratoga, CA-<24:00

Managed a sub-24:00.  Didn't stick around to see official results (and they're not yet online) but by my watch I ran 23:57.5.  I didn't bother to stop my watch until a step or two past the SECOND finishing mat and I think the first finishing mat is the one that records the time.  So maybe a 23:55.  Really happy as this was a train-through race.

This capped a really good Apri.  PR'd at three different distances in April:  12K, then 10miles and now 4miles.  <--- MTA, that last statement is incorrect.  The 12K was in March, DOH!  Still, not bad.  Now to focus on the 10K.

Nice going Ken, a great March and April - keep it rolling!

April 28th - Chicago - Ravenswood 5k - Goal is Sub-18 but will be happy with anything under 6 flat pace.

17:43, 30th OA

Awesome racing to kencamet and pftero.  Way to hit your goals--looks like you're both on a roll.

My 50k yesterday went better and worse than expected.  UltraSignup had me predicted at 5:38.  Beat that prediction with a 5:29:34, which put me at 14th overall and ahead of the rest of my club members.

I have not yet ran in worse trail conditions.  Definitely the worst shape I've seen Mohican in.  Mohican had been pretty washed out in general recently (a river crossing had to be re-routed during the race--the RD was afraid of losing someone), but it also rained overnight, then started again before the race, and never stopped.  Whew.  By the end, downhills were more challenging than uphills on account of slippage.  Lost a shoe once in sucking mud (it's okay, I got it back).

I'm not sore like usual after such a race--quads are fine.  Don't think they took too much pounding for easing/sliding/shuffling down the hills in the second half.  Calves feel like they were wrenched in circles, though.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in for a 5k this weekend.  I'll put it here so that I have no excuse to not start.

4/28 - Still Shuffle 5k - goal: 16:15

Course is actually short (3.0).  No better time than now to start the summer challenge of getting the 5k <16.

Result: 16:40 / 1OA

They changed the course this year to actually make it a 5k instead of a 3 miler.  Won by almost 3 minutes.  Good enough for a new pair of shoes.  The real highlight was seeing the 6 and 8 yr olds run the mile.  The 6YO ran a 7:59 for 2OA and the 8YO ran an 8:16 for 3OA and 1st female.  Proud of the them!

Kept it controlled and focused on keeping the form together at the faster pace.  Turned out to be a hard tempo effort.  It was a nice day and I enjoyed the run.  The posted goal was 16:15 for 3 (5:25 pace).  Hit this one at a 5:23 pace.  Would have liked to have seen a better time but being 2 weeks out from a marathon and not running anything that fast for at least 3 weeks, I'll take.  Mile markers could not have been right.  Mile 1: 503 and Mile 2: 5:23.  Don't think splits were right as I took it out easy to see if I could build into the run.

Very nice work Mbehr! Wish our area gave out shoes..or anything really.

And we run because we like it
                              Through the broad bright land

bhearn

Let's say 3:10 for Big Sur. Might not make it, but I think that's what I'll pace for. Last year I ran 3:12, after taking it easy at Boston.

Uh, nope, 3:18 (looks like I'm already updated; thanks). Guess I'm still paying for Boston and that 5M race last week.

Last minute decision, Tacoma Marathon this weekend, 5/5. Probably pacing 3:25 or 3:45 group. Or 3:15 if I get talked into it.

Oops, wrong month!