3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Training thread (Read 63 times)

Ostrich runner

Just for that. Have a great big glass of water when you're down there. From the tap no less.

Lots of swimming = good for fitness. Lots of mezcal = bad for fitness. It's a wash.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Quick question for you all: I'm thinking of running a HM about three weeks before my goal marathon in November. My choices would be to race it all out or back off a little, maybe to run in the 1:35-1:38 range.

Any thoughts or advice? I'd really like to nail my next marathon, not sure if racing a HM that close would be good training or pushing my luck.

Feeling the growl again

Quick question for you all: I'm thinking of running a HM about three weeks before my goal marathon in November. My choices would be to race it all out or back off a little, maybe to run in the 1:35-1:38 range.

Any thoughts or advice? I'd really like to nail my next marathon, not sure if racing a HM that close would be good training or pushing my luck.

Hmm.  Depends how fast you recover.  5 weeks out, I'd say all out for sure.  3 weeks out...I'd probably hold back a bit.  If you wreck yourself, it's ~1 week recovery.  Now you're 2 weeks out.  Taper time.

If you want to race it all out go ahead, but cut your volume the next week and keep it there.  Make up for it with some fast workouts short enough that you get the speed to keep you primed, but don't push yourself to significant fatigue.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Just how hilly is that marathonWink

steph  

bhearn

If it were me I would race it. That's the best pace indicator you'll get for the marathon.

Advice given to me by a 2:17 marathoner, which has worked well for me, is to switch weeks 1 and 2 of a typical three-week taper: lower miles dramatically 3 weeks out, pick it back up 2 weeks out -- which will feel easy -- then easy the last week. That works well with racing a half 3 weeks out.

Just how hilly is that marathonWink

Steph, my goal race is actually two weeks before that other "hilly" marathon. But I'm gonna run that one, too Smile

Thanks for the advice, guys. It'll be a good learning experience either way.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Steph, my goal race is actually two weeks before that other "hilly" marathon. But I'm gonna run that one, too Smile

Wow!  Good luck!

steph  

Feeling the growl again

If it were me I would race it. That's the best pace indicator you'll get for the marathon.

Advice given to me by a 2:17 marathoner, which has worked well for me, is to switch weeks 1 and 2 of a typical three-week taper: lower miles dramatically 3 weeks out, pick it back up 2 weeks out -- which will feel easy -- then easy the last week. That works well with racing a half 3 weeks out.

My point about how quickly you recover --- a 2:17 marathoner likely recovers much faster than most of us.  The frequency with which you race long indicates you also recover most faster than most people.

Not that I consider your advice bad -- only that one needs to sit back and decide how their recover ability matches up before choosing a path forward.  6-7 years ago, that was me.  Now, not so much.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

See you there.  We're both idiots.

I think I'm ready to start training! Just need to figure out a good race to train for

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Q  to avoid death at that Nov marathon - My longest run in the last year or so  has been 10 miles on mostly flat surfaces.  Should I try to cram in miles or long runs or Hills for the next 8 weeks.

I think I'm ready to start training! Just need to figure out a good race to train for

That's a great thing to hear!

Feeling the growl again

Q  to avoid death at that Nov marathon - My longest run in the last year or so  has been 10 miles on mostly flat surfaces.  Should I try to cram in miles or long runs or Hills for the next 8 weeks.

You can't really make up all the miles...personally I'd make sure you get a couple good 16-20 milers in.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Fantastic!

steph  

Slo

Awesome!