3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pro running discussion (Read 108 times)

kcam

Nate Jenkins 37 mile day:

"The two runners met at 9 a.m., for a 3.2-mile warm-up. Then they ran 10K in 33:09. They rested for three minutes, then ran 10K in 31:29. They cooled down for 2.5 miles. It was a solid workout, but they weren’t finished.

At 4 p.m., they started again. This time they warmed up for 2.5 miles before running 10K in 33:20. They rested two minutes and went right into 10 1-kilometer repeats on the roads. Jenkins only made it through seven."

F'ing insane.  Maybe my little pea brain just can't comprehend that humans CAN do this without negative consequences .... To me this kind of day is in the realm of the 60x400 Mile Race Pace workout that Q did in Once a Runner (only that was fictional).  I hope he kicks ass in Boston.

Feeling the growl again

Insane, but less so when you put it in the frame that those 10ks were slower than MP, the slower ones way slower.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

By his own reckoning he's likely gonna run 2:17 (5:13.6 pace) and the 31:29 is 5:04 pace, the 33:09 is 5:20 and the 33:20 is 5:22..   Average those and that is basically MP (5:15).   So in one day he ran 18.6 miles at MP PLUS some 1K repeats (which we don't know the pace) and at least 12 or 13 miles of warmup/cooldown.  I still can't fathom it   I don't even think AlSal's guys do that kind of work.  He will be strong if it didn't set him back, maybe he'll get that sub 2:15?  Don't get me wrong .... I am pulling for him to hit a good one at Boston.

Feeling the growl again

I've run 30 miles in one day in 3 workouts....back in the December 2011 stupidity....but it was all at easy pace.  And it sucked.  Yeah and sorry my math was off on the 31:29 I was calculating an extra minute (~8sec/mile) in there somehow.

By his own reckoning he's likely gonna run 2:17 (5:13.6 pace) and the 31:29 is 5:04 pace, the 33:09 is 5:20 and the 33:20 is 5:22..   Average those and that is basically MP (5:15).   So in one day he ran 18.6 miles at MP PLUS some 1K repeats (which we don't know the pace) and at least 12 or 13 miles of warmup/cooldown.  I still can't fathom it   I don't even think AlSal's guys do that kind of work.  He will be strong if it didn't set him back, maybe he'll get that sub 2:15?  Don't get me wrong .... I am pulling for him to hit a good one at Boston.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Jared MF'ing Ward. Won another title.. the coveted USATF 25k Championships!

Making the Olympic Marathon team is going to be rough.

Good thing Bolt didn't show up in Doha...

Feeling the growl again

Cain has taken "leave" from Nike and apparently Salazar doesn't want to elaborate.  Her season has been terrible.

Cain has taken "leave" from Nike and apparently Salazar doesn't want to elaborate.  Her season has been terrible.

Hopefully she can get back on track.  Hard to know what exactly has been going on but I'm sure there's an adjustment period for her transitioning to the West coast and getting through her first year of college.  Another pro I have always wanted to see do well is Jordan Hasay.  She just seems to come up short almost every time.

Hard to see anything concrete coming out of that. But, maybe athletes will think twice about signing up with Salazar?

Fisher!  Nuf said.

2011 Verzbicas... two HS guys this year (add in Justyn Knight). Kids are fast these days.

Also funny.. Reebok's own Tyler Pennal (2:13 marathoner) beat Phresh Phish.

Anyone watch the NCAA's this weekend?

Was able to watch the women's 10k before we left on our camping trip.  That it was going to be dual between Bates and Scott but they both got upset.  Bates took it out hard to open it up with a few laps to go and then just crashed.  Cheserek and Jenkins were quite the duo too.

bahh.. missed nearly everything the last two weeks. I did catch a replay of De Grasse in the 100 and 200. He was incredible. Plus the jog fest that was the mens 5k. De Grasse's sprint kind of looks like King Chez sprinting. At least their arms are kind of open wide.

Best part of our vacation was reading "Run" by Fitzgerald.

Anyone watch the NCAA's this weekend?