800 Mile Club

everyone's introductions and 800 mile plans for 2013 (Read 19 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm tetsujin87 meaning "ironman" in Japan where i did my first IM in 1987.

AKA barefoot jon as, ever since my first barefoot marathon in 1990, I prefer running baretoot.

This is my 37th year of running at least one marathon a years just to see if I can.

Since becoming a marathon maniac in 2005, the annual count has ranged from 7 - 21.

I"m a non-trainer but started off the new year with more training runs (4) and more training miles (15) than all of the last four years combined, mostly walked a marathon in Japan in 7hr/20min and, if a current cold doesn't get worse, hope to enter a trail 50K this weekend.

.I haven’t reached 800 miles in a single years since 2007.  Maybe this year

Though, after more than 30 years of pretty good running, my upcoming new AG in May (70yo) seems to be slowing me down way more than I imagined, I am thinking of the following marathons and ultras as a tests of the extensive walking that will be necessary in case I screw up enough courage to enter some of the very longer events I’ve always assumed required way more training than I’m willing to do. Nothing happens until it happens though. .

JANUARY 2013
    training runs - 15 miles (during trip to Osaka, Japan)

1/12 - Imperial Palace Marathon no. 190 - 7:20:02 (Tokyo, Japan)
    1/26 - Lake Youngs Nuts 50K (trail run - Seattle) - thongs

FEBRUARY 2013
    2/03 - West Seattle 50K Fat Ass - barefoot/thongs

MARCH 2013
    3/23 - Green Lake Dizzy Daze 12 Hour (trail run - Seattle) - thongs

APRIL 2013
    4/28 - Mt. Si 50-mile Run (trail run - Seattle) - thongs

MAY 2013
    5/05 - Tacoma City Marathon (WA) - barefoot
    5/10 - Sunflower Marathon (trail run - Winthrop, WA) - thongs
    5/18 - Redmond Watershed 12 Hour (trail run - Seattle) - thongs   
    5/24-26 - Pigtails 150-mile Challenge (trail run - Seattle) - thongs.

JUNE 2013
    6/29 - Seattle Rock’n’Roll Marathon - barefoot

JULY 2013
    7/16 - Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon (trail run - North Bend, WA) - thongs

AUGUST 2013
    (pending)

SEPTEMBER 2013
    9/14 - Tunnel Light Marathon

OCTOBER 2013
    10/26 - Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run

NOVEMBER 2013
    11/3 - In Unity We Run NYC Support Marathon
    11/11 - First Call Veteran’s Day Marathon

DECEMBER 2013
    12/1 - Seattle Marathon - barefoot

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hi, I'm Ze (which doesn't mean anything, it's just short for Jose) from Portugal. I'm 47, and 2 weeks ago I ran my first marathon. I can't recall very clearly but I think that I found the last 5 miles really, really difficult. Must try it again to be sure...

I started running to keep in shape for mountaineering, when my life got too complicated (job, wife, kids) to allow for regular mountain escapades.

I usually run two HMs every year in Lisbon. It's quite a family thing, almost like Christmas: an opportunity to meet distant relatives that also run. I also show up at mountain trail races in my area.

I really don't follow any structured training plan, just go out running, sometimes harder, sometimes easier. Quite often, I don't even run. However, wen I indulge to laziness, I get irritated and unpleasant to be with. On the contrary, if I force myself to go run even If I don't feel like it, at the end I feel fine and happy that I did ran.

Ok, that's that. Happy running, everybody!

Ze

PS: tetsujin, you rock! And you rock barefoot!!! Cool! Smile

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

me too ze, running's a poor substitute for heading for the hills (though I'm just a hiker, not a mountaineer any more, if ever).  I like your casual training and running when you're going to enjoy i t, not when some book, coach, or meet-up says you have too.  Congratulations on your first marathon.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Do you remember Carlos Lopez's marathon gold medal in 1984 (or so) when you were a teenager? I think he was age 37 then so would be 66 or now.  I wonder if he is still running over there?

Hi!

Sorry for being silent for such a long time. I haven't been running much because of laziness, therefore, I haven't check the forum lately.

Yes, I remember Carlos Lopes very well. He (together with female marathoner Rosa Mota) is a bit of a national hero. There was also another guy in 1980 something, Fernando Mamede, who set a 10Km world record that lasted for many years (at least 10 years, but I can't recall). Carlos Lopes isn't really running any more. I think that when he left the top, he stopped running, got fat and much less active. But I seem to recall having heard that some years ago he started exercising again, and created a foundation that supports some popular races. But I really don't know. Rosa Mota, on the other hand, remained very active. She still runs (out of the main league, of course) and often comes to small towns, promoting local races by racing herself.

I really don't pay much attention to the running sport (or any other, really), other than running myself. Sorry if I'm not more informative...

Cheers!

Ze

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks for the Lopez, et al updates, especially Rosa Mota who was one of the greats in those days. Sounds like she still is. . After such a splendid start to the year with 41.2 miles in January, including a marathon, February and April zeroed out but, though March only had a 5K and 15K, it was all more than made up for in my birthday month of May<(70>>> with a 176.2 miles including a marathon, 36 miles in a 12-hour and 100 miles, albeit in the 150 miles division as I can't make 32-hour century cutoff anymore. Oh well. tetsujin - 176.2 miles YTD - 230.5 miles</(70>

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I

第32回平塚江ノ島
                フルニック大会宣誓をする
                1,000回目の大会完走の
                迫田法子会員
                写真提供:山口義治会員

keeponrunning

How on earth am I leading the group now?? Shocked

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Fat & lazy runner

Run Keeponrunning run... I'm not so far! Big grin Big grin

Bye

Andy

Andy G.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey GAncy, your avatar says dragon-lady.

I've DNS'ed most of my running plans this year but the Pigtails 100 in May, even though I didn't make the 32-hour cutoff is already getting me close to 500 miles for the first time in give years.

Ps - where'd you get that owl picture?

Fat & lazy runner

Yeah, it's the Dragon character in Traditional Chinese.

The owl picture? Perhaps you're asking about my beautiful portrait Wink You can see this masterpiece in the Uffizi Gallery, in Florence...

Andy G.